Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Estimates 
Extraordinary

I definitely agree that Wedding Crashers deserves a lot of discussions. This is getting close to the The Sixth Sense territory, where it grossed over 20M for 4 consecutive weekends with legs instead of huge opening. A $9000 PTA is excellent for an opener, let alone for a second weekend wide release. It is one of those rare runs we only see once or twice a year.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Charlie dropped way more than expected. I'm disappointed, after all those high weekdays. This does not seem promising now! Hopefully the dailies will continue to be high to get it up to Batman/Smith status! I think the word of mouth isn't too strong on this one. Evberyone seems to be saying it's a good movie but it's really weird. I think the oompa-loompa's hurt the movie.... if they were done better (even better than the origina;'s) and had been a bigger comedic relief than Depp, this could have done better since it's the oompa loompa's that most positives note out as the weakest factor in the film.

i dunno... i didnt see this because it looked really weird and it is a remake of an already awesome movie. i know i know its more faithful to the book. i dont really care. the gene wilder version was classic. and they tampered with that.

all it did was fuel my dislike for tim burton even more.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

The best performer of the weekend was, by far, Wedding Crashers. I'm just shocked by the legs on this one.

The Island. :sad:

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:25 pm
now we know

Mr and Mrs Smith, Batman Begins and War of the Worlds all had brilliant drops this weekend, i'm well happy.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Wedding Crashers is a super hit. This will cross $150M. May even outgross Charlie. WOM is just out of this world.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Zingaling, you can hardly say WC has good legs, its only the second weekend...wait until 5 weeks has passed, and if its still as good, then you can say it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Zingaling, you can hardly say WC has good legs, its only the second weekend...wait until 5 weeks has passed, and if its still as good, then you can say it.

Um, a -22% second weekend drop is out of this world these days. It's very doubtful that it will drop huge next weekend...

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:30 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Algren wrote:

Um, a -22% second weekend drop is out of this world these days. It's very doubtful that it will drop huge next weekend...

I wouldnt say it will drop huge but I think it may drop 30% since this week all the new releases acted very week and not even making the top 3. If next week releases are duds especially Must Love Dogs and Stealth, I could probably see another sub 25% drop again for WCs

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:37 pm
now we know

Algren wrote:

I agree. But wait until then to say such things. All im saying is "legs" cant really be said as its only been out for 10 days....

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory dropped a little tiny bit more than i expected. But still solid. Wedding Crashers held fantastic and it's total rocks. Will be Rachel McAdams biggest movie. Fantastic Four had a decent drop. The Island bombed really really badly. $150M all in costs. Meh for Bad News Bears...forgotten about within about 3 weeks. Hustle and Flow had a fantastic PTA and Devils Rejects opened $5M less than what the original FINISHED with. Which is fantastic. Will fall Hard...but STILL outgross the original. Herbie: Fully Loaded passes $60M.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:10 pm
Extraordinary

Friday - $1,215,000
Saturday - $2,215,000
Sunday - $1,300,000

So studio is taking into the account of sneaks and projecting a bigger Sunday drop, and the actual shouldn't change much.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm wary of WC's projected 9% Sunday drop though, studio might be getting a little too optimistic there.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:53 pm
Teh Mexican

OMG!!! thats hideous!! :shock: for the island!!!
WTH happend!!?!

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:05 pm
Begging Naked

Quote:
Charlie dropped way more than expected. I'm disappointed, after all those high weekdays. This does not seem promising now! Hopefully the dailies will continue to be high to get it up to Batman/Smith status! I think the word of mouth isn't too strong on this one. Evberyone seems to be saying it's a good movie but it's really weird. I think the oompa-loompa's hurt the movie.... if they were done better (even better than the origina;'s) and had been a bigger comedic relief than Depp, this could have done better since it's the oompa loompa's that most positives note out as the weakest factor in the film.

i dunno... i didnt see this because it looked really weird and it is a remake of an already awesome movie. i know i know its more faithful to the book. i dont really care. the gene wilder version was classic. and they tampered with that.

all it did was fuel my dislike for tim burton even more.

Muha, CATCF is as much a remake of WWATCF as the '98 Thin Red Line is a remake of the '64 version.

Anywho, WC is officially the POTC of the summer. Take that, FF4! :mrgreen:

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Beautiful for BB, less then 9m to go for 200m. It's happening.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:14 pm
No Wire Tampons!

I, for one, am not surprised by The Wedding Crashers at all. This kind of comedy always plays well - two male stars and a solid female supporting actress only helped the high concept along.
The Island however...grossed less than Elektra did in its opening weekend.

Anyone up for declaring Scarlett Johansson or Ewan McGreggors movie careers as over?

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I, for one, am not surprised by The Wedding Crashers at all. This kind of comedy always plays well - two male stars and a solid female supporting actress only helped the high concept along.

Anyone up for declaring Scarlett Johansson or Ewan McGreggors movie careers as over?

Don't give torrino a heart-attack. :-#

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:39 pm
No Wire Tampons!

By the way - props to Batman Begins for being so, so leggy. When i saw the first day's numbers i knew that the whole "frontloaded" thing would be destroyed to ashes - it was either a big opening and big falls or a dissapointing opening and these amazing, amazing legs.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

Michael wrote:

Don't give torrino a heart-attack. :-#

It was all everyone talked aboued when Gigli bombed.
the same thing happened to Halle Berry when Catwoman bombed.
And i think everyone expected Elektra to bomb so there wasn't really as much discussion about it - but yes im pretty sure one or two people here claimed Garners movie career was over when it bombed.

Its the same scenario - and it will, just as above, be utter tosh.
Johansson and McGreggor are still going to be on more or less the same level after this movie due to their lack of presence as blockbuster lead stars before now.

Ben Affleck career died because of "Bennifer", gigli was just further ammunition. Then Catwoman pushed Halle Berry down the rungs a little because critics basically slaughtered her performance every bit as much as the rest of the film and she basically, hasnt done a big movie since. Garner emerged from Elektra relatively unscathed after dodging the promotional rounds for the film, and i think that The Island will be similar to Elektra for these stars in that they can emerge relatively unscathed. Its not like critics have been booing either of them; and they havent been saturating the media like the first two examples. No, i think it would be silly to say that either of them are now going to the Hollywood Dump.

2005 Has a reputation for dissapointments too. Jennifer Connely's Dark Water was a bomb as well; but theres been a similar expectation before release.

But it certainly puts their appeal into doubt.

Last edited by Michael. on Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

FANTASTIC hold for Wedding Crashers. This movie is doing gangbusters. I thought it would have a small drop but not this small. Wow. Decent drop for Charlie (it will drop better in the weeks to come me thinks). Very nice PTA for Hustle and Flow and quite a good number for March of the Penguins =D> \:D/

Excellent drops for War of the Worlds (almost at $210 million! Yeah baby!), Batman Begins, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith (absolutely amazing legs for this movie).

Terrible for The Island and decent number for Devil's Rejects. Too bad the weekend total is below last year's. Thanks The Island! :mod:

Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:50 pm
Speed Racer

Nobody's pointed this out yet, but I think it's absolutely amazing that Wedding Crasher's grossed the same amount this weekend as Xiayun's projection for LAST weekend based off of Friday's numbers. This can't have happened very often, if ever!

And Michael, Do we REALLY have to bring up Elektra and Garner ALL THE TIME? Does anybody even care anymore at all about that movie?[/i]

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

Charlie had a bigger drop than I expected, but still remaining #1 for the second week in a row is great.

Wedding Crashers is doing excellent! It's legs are looking really amazing at this point. Expect some fantastic numbers for this flick.

Dark Water did horrible, they shouldn't of released this in the summer. Huge mistake on their part.

March of the Penguins is doing incredible. I expect this movie to end with about $30 million, which for a documentary is fantastic.

The Devil's Rejects did better than I thought it would originally. It will definitely make more than the original.

Batman Begins is holding up great, should get to that $200 million milestone very soon.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is holding up really well too. It should end with about $190 million, which is really amazing for this kind of film.

Bad News Bears did okay, but it will quickly disappear from theaters really soon.

Herbie: Fully Loaded is doing very well. I'm still in shock that it has passed $60 million thus far, very impressive, especially considering the horrible reviews.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Draughty

The articles about box office decline were saying that execs were concerned with lack of word of mouth hits this summer. Now they finally have one.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

It's funny, because studios have actually spent the past five years subconsciously destroying the word of mouth hit, and now they wonder why it's gone :roll:

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next