Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Do you think Charlie can rule for a 3rd weekend? 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Stealth doesnt look vaguely interesting, and if I dont find it interesting (the core audience) then how will it get money?

I see it sucking big red hot cock at the box office.

I saw a teaser months ago (on computer) and thought it looked good. I then saw the full trailer at a theatre and it looked very ho hum, but others seem to like it so I can see it doing a SWAT opening - but with worse legs.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:59 pm
now we know

Algren wrote:
Stealth doesnt look vaguely interesting, and if I dont find it interesting (the core audience) then how will it get money?

I see it sucking big red hot cock at the box office.

I saw a teaser months ago (on computer) and thought it looked good. I then saw the full trailer at a theatre and it looked very ho hum, but others seem to like it so I can see it doing a SWAT opening - but with worse legs.

I see another Iron Eagle is you ask me.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
El_Masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:
I know about the comparison to SWAT but SWAT was a tv show and had a hummable tune not to mention its ratings will be far better than Stealth.

...right, roid. Hummable tunes draw people more than "Best Actor" winner, Jamie Foxx.

Well they hum the tune because they are reminded of the tv show the same way Mission Impossible has a hummable theme. Jamie Foxx hasnt quite proven yet that he can open a blockbuster movie over 25 million. I also argued that Ray opened huge is because people were almost rooting for him to win the oscar

Mission: Impossible wasn't successful because of a "hummable theme song". No one even knew about this theme song until the movie finally came out in 1996, so you can't really justify that the hummable song helped the movie in anyway.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:14 pm
---------

S.W.A.T.'s opening had nothing to do with the TV show. It was the current popularity of crime drama TV and S.W.A.T.'s excellent premise that propelled it to a $37 million opening. The "I'll pay $1 million dollars to the first who gets me out" line was a very cool premise. I never saw the movie but it looked good.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:50 pm
Star Trek XI

I didn't know Foxx was in this till I read it today; I thought "How did I miss that?" but then I saw the commercial again and it really doesn't give you a clue! Not that I think he would be a huge box office draw, but why are they underplaying it as much as they are? I thought that was very strange!

Isn't it possible that next week WC and MLD will hurt each other, instead of only MLD getting hurt? Although it's entirely possible that WC will crush it, it doesn't seem to be set in stone that it will.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

I am soooo hoping that Stealth will crash and burn. I really would love for that too happen. I think that it looks like the most shittest movie in a while. But then again it might actually turn out to be good.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 pm
je vois l'avenir

Isn't it possible that next week WC and MLD will hurt each other, instead of only MLD getting hurt? Although it's entirely possible that WC will crush it, it doesn't seem to be set in stone that it will.

I don't think that they will hurt each other at all, because I think that Wedding Crashers is more of the younger crowd, while Must Love Dogs plays better with the over 35 group.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:46 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Stealth, unlike the Island, has been properly marketed.

It will slaughter Charlie.

i agree with you.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:41 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum General

Even if Stealth has been rightly marketed, I don't think there is much appeal to it.

I think Must Love Dogs has potential enough to be #1 over Stealth.

And I could easily see Wedding Crashers in the top spot with around $19-20 million if both Stealth and Dogs just fall short of $20m

I think the front-runner for the #1 spot is Stealth only because it has action-movie potential, but Dogs is not far behind it. If Stealth also bombs and grosses around $16-18 million, and Dogs breaks out to around $22-23 million, then that would be something to talk about.

Hopefully, both Dogs and Stealth as well as Crashers will gross above $20m to keep the business going!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:18 pm
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

Well I was basing it off of that charlie has been getting better reveiws then wc.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Stealth will be box office champ this weekend, cuz I said so. :wink:

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yikes. Weak weekend up ahead. I'd give it to Gods over Stealth any day. That being said, I'm getting the vague premonition we're going to see the same one-two that we did last weekend. Maybe reversed, or maybe just skimmed by in the original order. Or maybe, Penguins will snow them all under. :P

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:27 am
College Boy Z

Even if none of the three openers top the weekend ahead, Wedding Crashers will beat out Charlie for the top spot.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:30 am
Star Trek XI

I agree, WC and Charlie have a great chance at being #1 and #2, but it seems more likely that WC will be #1.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I know I don't know much about box-office predictions and percentages and all that... But seeing as how Charlie's been #1 the past two weekends, and has been #1 during the weekdays (as far as I've seen), why couldn't it be #1 again this next weekend, with WC at #2?

I know I'm missing something here. I hate being so bad at math... LOL.

Joy

Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I know I don't know much about box-office predictions and percentages and all that... But seeing as how Charlie's been #1 the past two weekends, and has been #1 during the weekdays (as far as I've seen), why couldn't it be #1 again this next weekend, with WC at #2?

I know I'm missing something here. I hate being so bad at math... LOL.

Joy

Well, if you notice the weekday numbers, Charlie and Wedding Crashers are very close. For the weekend, though, Wedding Crashers is likely to have a much better drop than Charlie will, mainly because Crashers dropped 25% last weekend, while Charlie dropped 50%.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:00 pm
Star Trek XI

One thing that could help Charlie is that there seem to be more films competing for the adult audience than the kids' audience. Must Love Dogs is doing well at Moviefone (it's the #1 movie right now) and has been since Monday, while Sky High hasn't made a blip. Also the honeymoon might be over for WC, because its drops seem to be coming back to earth during the weekdays, although that remains to be seen, because the BOM numbers for it are just estimates. Still, its estimates have been over, not under, lately. So there's still a chance that Charlie could be #1 this weekend, but a lot of things would have to fall its way.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

One thing that could help Charlie is that there seem to be more films competing for the adult audience than the kids' audience. Must Love Dogs is doing well at Moviefone (it's the #1 movie right now) and has been since Monday, while Sky High hasn't made a blip. Also the honeymoon might be over for WC, because its drops seem to be coming back to earth during the weekdays, although that remains to be seen, because the BOM numbers for it are just estimates. Still, its estimates have been over, not under, lately. So there's still a chance that Charlie could be #1 this weekend, but a lot of things would have to fall its way.

Ummm, how are wedding crashers underperforming this week? You do realize that its Tuesday INCREASED and was over 4 million, right? I wouldn't exactly call a 25% week-week drop a sign that its "honeymoon is over". That drop will only improve throughout the week, and it has a great chance of dropping even less than it did las weekend. That's not exactly coming "back to earth" [-X

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I seriously doubt that Wedding Crashers is coming "back to earth". You make it seem like the good part of its run is over and it'll drop big this weekend. I think you, being a Charlie fan, need to realize that Wedding Crashers might beat it this weekend. :razz:

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:41 pm
Star Trek XI

I didn't say underperforming. I said the drops are getting more in line with normal drops during the weekdays. I don't think we can automatically assume it'll have the same kind of drops this coming weekend as it did this past weekend. I guess that was a misleading choice of words. The honeymoon might be over, but the marriage is still intact. I mean, the audience isn't cheating on it yet. Maybe I should skip this marriage stuff. I never was very good at it anyway.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

She has a point though, that Must Love Dog, and especially John Cusack, is far more likely to affect Wedding CRashers BO than it is Charlie. If Sky High has any affect on Charlie is yet to be determined since apparently there are almost no pre-ordered tickets, reviews haven't really come in yet, and it looks like utter crap.

edit*** My gender radar has been in the shop for weeks

Last edited by dolcevita on Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:44 pm
Star Trek XI

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say, Dolce, but I'm a she. But, yeah, that's what I meant.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Well, I just got back from seeing Wedding Crashers (completely against my will), and now I'm really confused as to how Americans can be so stupid as to be giving it such great box office.... Totally confused.

Thanks for the answers to my earlier questions. I guess all we can do is wait and see. (and I'll go put some more money towards CatCF's BO this weekend, to try and help out as much as I can...)

Joy

Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2