Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Do you think Charlie can rule for a 3rd weekend? 
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

Post Do you think Charlie can rule for a 3rd weekend?
I was thinking after its opening weekend that it has a good chance of being number one for a few weeks.
if its drops are small enough it could be number one for even a fourth weekend!
so what do you think do you think it can rule again next week?

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

No....no it will not, unless the rest of this summer just turns into a vortex of suck and all the three new releases tank....that's just too depressing to think about, onto the holidays I say!

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:58 pm
Extraordinary

WC will beat charlie next week,i have no doubt about it.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

I could see Stealth tanking, but I'm with Neo: WC will top CATCF next week, and could become the first movie since There's Something About Mary (7 years ago!) to top the B.O. after 2+ weeks in wide release not at #1.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Stealth, unlike the Island, has been properly marketed.

It will slaughter Charlie.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Agreed. It's not that people all of a sudden don't want to see action movies. It's that no one knew what The Island was. Stealth has had a huge amount of marketing, has a star with some drawing power, has had marketing that's clearly laid out the plot, and has a draw to the audience with what looks to be some jaw dropping action. I think that the opening will be around the level of SWAT, another heavily underestimated action movie.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:09 pm
Mod Team Leader

Eagle wrote:

Agreed. It's not that people all of a sudden don't want to see action movies. It's that no one knew what The Island was. Stealth has had a huge amount of marketing, has a star with some drawing power, has had marketing that's clearly laid out the plot, and has a draw to the audience with what looks to be some jaw dropping action. I think that the opening will be around the level of SWAT, another heavily underestimated action movie.

What star is in the film? Because Foxx and Biehl are far from stars.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Foxx just won the best actor oscar, he's at least recognizable to the mainstream public.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:43 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

MovieDude wrote:
Eagle wrote:

What star is in the film? Because Foxx and Biehl are far from stars.

I agree with Baumer here. Jamie Foxx's name hasnt even been advertised in the commercials and he still has to prove himself that hes a bonafide star. Im also hearing the same comments about why Stealth wont be bomb also being used in the past for movies like XXX2 and how they are saying that alot of commercials have been playing for it. Maybe its just that people are tired of the formulatic action movies that are reminiscent of The Rock

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:50 pm

Foxx just won the best actor oscar, he's at least recognizable to the mainstream public.

Winning best actor does nothing for the box office. I has never helped Daniel Day Lewis, Liam Neason and the list goes on

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:52 pm
Forum General

Well no, Neeson has never won and Lewis won 16 years ago, but that's beside the point, I'm talking in terms of recognizable stars. At the very least, people recognize Foxx, it's not a cast of completely unknowns, and I don't think Stealth will even be that successful.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:00 pm
Begging Naked

Actually Roid, the last Best Actor winner to follow-up his BP win with an Action flick was Nic Cage With The Rock, and look how that did. :wink:

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:05 pm
Profile WWW

Actually Roid, the last Best Actor winner to follow-up his BP win with an Action flick was Nic Cage With The Rock, and look how that did. :wink:

I'll also follow that up with Kevin Spacey winning in American Beauty following up with such dissappointments as Kpax and PAy it Forward :wink:

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:09 pm
Begging Naked

Positive Jon wrote:

I'll also follow that up with Kevin Spacey winning in American Beauty following up with such dissappointments as Kpax and PAy it Forward :wink:

Actually, when it was released, K-PAX was the 3rd biggest October opener of all-time, and Pay It Forward was the kind of movie that relies on critical response which was C-R-A-P-P-Y. :wink:

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

C"mon man, I think you're seriously underestimating Foxx's appeal. Oprah has been heaping praises on him, and the last time she really was all over someone or something movie wise was Diary of a Mad Black Women. The man is way more powerful and a much bigger draw then you may think. After Collateral he was already becoming a draw. There's a reason Ray shocked so many people with it's 20 million opening.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:36 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Stealth's marketing has been handled very well and thus far the buzz is very positive. It should be the summer action flick that people have been waiting for, after The Island bombed.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:49 pm

C"mon man, I think you're seriously underestimating Foxx's appeal. Oprah has been heaping praises on him, and the last time she really was all over someone or something movie wise was Diary of a Mad Black Women. The man is way more powerful and a much bigger draw then you may think. After Collateral he was already becoming a draw. There's a reason Ray shocked so many people with it's 20 million opening.

Ray opened well because the media was reminding people that Jamie Foxx would probably win an oscar for his performance plus the fact that Ray Charles passed away may have something to do with it. I dont know if even having Jamie Foxx's name would help Stealth at all but the commercials and trailers have noticably left out Jamie Foxx's name as if its impying he doesnt play an important role and the the logo of "From the director of XXX and FATF" was more important than all the stars combined. Dont forget that Ice Cube in an action role still bombed despite him opening Are We There Yet? and Barbershop, then again I have always said that Ice Cube doesnt look like an action star :wink: . It may not bomb like Stealth but I also dont see it making over 100 million. I know about the comparison to SWAT but SWAT was a tv show and had a hummable tune not to mention its ratings will be far better than Stealth. Personally what do you think that the ratings for Stealth will end up to be? I believe under 25%

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:06 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I think they'll probably be closer to the range of The Island, or somewhere between 38-45%. Nothing too spectacular but it should please at least a few of the critics.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:08 pm
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I know about the comparison to SWAT but SWAT was a tv show and had a hummable tune not to mention its ratings will be far better than Stealth.

...right, roid. Hummable tunes draw people more than "Best Actor" winner, Jamie Foxx.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:14 pm

El_Masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:
I know about the comparison to SWAT but SWAT was a tv show and had a hummable tune not to mention its ratings will be far better than Stealth.

...right, roid. Hummable tunes draw people more than "Best Actor" winner, Jamie Foxx.

Well they hum the tune because they are reminded of the tv show the same way Mission Impossible has a hummable theme. Jamie Foxx hasnt quite proven yet that he can open a blockbuster movie over 25 million. I also argued that Ray opened huge is because people were almost rooting for him to win the oscar

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:17 pm
Orphan

I don't see Charlie taking the top spot in its third weekend. Wedding Crashers actually has a better chance to do so if 'Stealth' fails as Sky High isn't going to open too big and Must Love Dogs will be hurt by the aforementioned WC.

As of now though, I expect Stealth to take the top spot.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:20 pm
now we know

Roid has a point. People will remember a TV show from one's youth more than a Best Actor winner, as Jamie Foxx has only been in one other decent film and isnt really a household name just yet.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

The Island bombing has paved the way for a great opening for Stealth.

Expect...

1. Stealth $36-38m
3. Wedding Crashers $20-21m
4. Charlie $16-17m

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:28 pm
now we know

Stealth doesnt look vaguely interesting, and if I dont find it interesting (the core audience) then how will it get money?

I see it sucking big red hot cock at the box office.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next