Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Island:What went wrong? 
Veteran

Now that I think about it. London was right when he said the name of "From Jerry Bruckheimer". It wasnt Michael Bay's movie that were successful because of him but Bruckheimers name and the other big star names that made his movies big. POTC and National Treasure were very big because of the "From Jerry Bruckheimer" name attached to it not to mention Kangaroo Jack which would of bombed if his name wasnt attached to it. Even shows like Without a Trace and CSI owed their success to his name when they first debuted. The only misfire that Bruckheimer had was King Arthur

Lesson learned
Never doubt the power of Bruckheimer

Bad Company, which really was a decent movie, bombed also.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Now that I think about it. London was right when he said the name of "From Jerry Bruckheimer". It wasnt Michael Bay's movie that were successful because of him but Bruckheimers name and the other big star names that made his movies big. POTC and National Treasure were very big because of the "From Jerry Bruckheimer" name attached to it not to mention Kangaroo Jack which would of bombed if his name wasnt attached to it. Even shows like Without a Trace and CSI owed their success to his name when they first debuted. The only misfire that Bruckheimer had was King Arthur

I guess when people think of the creator of Armageddon. They dont think of Michael Bay but they do think of Jerry Bruckheimer

Lesson learned

Bruckheimer is a very powerful brand name.

EW's last issue had The Island as its cover story. Bay never told Bruckheimer he was directing The Island and obviously some feelings were hurt. The last thing Bruckheimer told Bay was "just so you know, we passed on it."

Burn!

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:30 pm
Veteran

While Dreamworks animation is producing hits and monster hits, their stand alone liveaction movies have been pathetic in 2005. The Ring 2 was a poorly made sequel with no quality control at the top. The Island is another example of their incompetence in terms of marketing.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
While Dreamworks animation is producing hits and monster hits, their stand alone liveaction movies have been pathetic in 2005. The Ring 2 was a poorly made sequel with no quality control at the top. The Island is another example of their incompetence in terms of marketing.

Here's a thread from a week or so ago about Dreamworks

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10482

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:40 pm
Extraordinary

I wonder,will dreamworks still want bay to direct The Transformers movie?

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

They did do a very good job at selling the original 'Ring' film which lead them to even have the possibility of making a sequel (and a third one is in the pipeline, this time with a smaller budget).

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:43 pm
Veteran

jb007 wrote:

They did do a very good job at selling the original 'Ring' film which lead them to even have the possibility of making a sequel (and a third one is in the pipeline, this time with a smaller budget).

I agree. But with the goodwill factor from the first movie they could have made The Ring 2 a monster hit with a good plot and director.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

The studio failed it. It gave it one chance to succeed; that being that it was a summer action movie. The trailer didnt really tell me much else.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

I guess when people think of the creator of Armageddon. They dont think of Michael Bay but they do think of Jerry Bruckheimer

Lesson learned

I couldn't say better myself. Bruckheimer is the most powerful man in Hollywood hands down in my opinion. When people hear "Bruckheimer" during a trailer for an action film, they pretty much ignore the "A Michael Bay film" part. I bet Bay wished he did POTC instead and would have POTC 2 come out next year. I think Bay should get Bruckheimer and Cage to guarantee a summer hit.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Cage is a washed up actor. National Treasure was a fluke. The movie was so good, even he couldn't ruin it.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Yeah, there's a lot that went wrong as people have been saying. They didn't have one solid thing to hook people in with, so as some of my friends who usually love these movies wanted to see Bad News Bears more because "it looks like an ultra generic shitty action movie." They also believed that there wouldn't be any fight scenes, just a lot of running around and chases. They had a great supporting cast, but McGregor isn't a star yet, they really should've gotten someone bigger to do it. Also, it does seem like they gave up on the marketing. The trailer that came with War of the Worlds threw out all the epic choral music for some shitty electric guitar nonsense which also really hurt Kingdom of Heaven. Lastly, I'd cite just too much competition. Four wide releases is something that is always very risky, but it can work when the movies have diferent audiences that they go after (just look at June 10th. Mr. and Mrs. Smith ate up all the competition. Shark Boy managed to survive because it had a different audience, but Honeymooners and High Tension were DOA). However, I think all four of the new releases catered more to males, particularly 15-30 year olds. With two very solid holdovers boasting some great WOM, there were just too many movies to choose from. Earlier I wrote an article talking about how this early summer failed so horrifically because there were too many choices and not one solid tentpole, and after the summer seemed to finally catch on for three consecutive weeks where each release did great, they dropped the ball here. Luckily both July 29th and August 5th look to do much better with one big release towering over the other openers which cater to different audiences.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:59 pm
Team Kris

Cage is a washed up actor. National Treasure was a fluke. The movie was so good, even he couldn't ruin it.

Cage + Bruckheimer= $$$$

The Rock, Con Air, Gone in 60 Sec, National Treasure. If you add in Face Off, Cage has been solid as an action star.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Wait, which movies has he been in lately where he was washed up? Although he was in quite a number of interesting disasters (Snake Eyes, 8MM, after making a large amount of action movies like The Rock, Con Air, and Face/Off), lately he's been in some really great smaller films like Adaptation (which I think was far and away his best performance(s) ever no questions asked) and Matchstick Men. As for National Treasure, I thought that it was Bruckheimer's worst and most boring movie to date, but somehow it was a hit anyways. Either way, the guy is certainly not washed up, and if he was a few years younger would've been a great lead for The Island.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:13 pm
Extraordinary

It's marketing had to be one of the worse in a long time for a big budget flick, I mean common, Devils Rejects and Hustle had more spots.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:45 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Hold on one sec, the movies Cage has taken the past 5 years are either critically acclaimed movies (Adaptation,Matchstick Men) or box office hits (Gone in 60 Seconds,National Treasure), some are decent movies that werent supposed to set the world on fire like Captain Mandolin or Family Men. How is he washed up? He only had one misfire in a long time and that was Windwalkers

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:10 pm
now we know

We all know that Cage was not the reason that The Rock hit it big, it was Connery. Americans just can't resist his Scottish charisma. Gone in 60 Seconds was the cars. Con Air was the cons.

Hey the three 'C's....Connery, Cars and Cons......well theres your next movie!!!! I did the ground work for ya'!!!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Nothing went wrong the film, it was the distributors that fucked it over. Big time.

This is completely different from XXX2, which was marketed heavily. It just happened to suck. :razz:

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
---------

It's going to end up like Paycheck. I can't believe I never thought of that movie for a predicting comparison, but it's an almost perfect match. Paycheck had decent legs if I remember. I can still see The Island hitting $50 million.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:52 pm
College Boy Z

It's going to end up like Paycheck. I can't believe I never thought of that movie for a predicting comparison, but it's an almost perfect match. Paycheck had decent legs if I remember. I can still see The Island hitting $50 million.

Paycheck was released during Christmas.

But, yeah, The Island could have nice legs and reach $50 million...

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:57 pm
je vois l'avenir

For some reason, I'm reminded of Sky Captain.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:42 pm
je vois l'avenir

I think like most mentioned the marketing sucked hard, from what I hear, the film is very different than what the trailers indicate

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:43 pm
Indiana Jones IV

the film is very different than what the trailers indicate

Since I just finish watching THE ISLAND, I can tell you that the film isn't very different than what the trailers indicate.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

i don't see anything wrong with the movie. i watched it last night i enjoyed the movie very much. it's met my expectation as a Michael Bay films like usual. maybe just lack of star and minus Bruckheimer that's all. overall the movie is WATCHABLE.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:40 am
Profile ICQ WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I think everyones just picking at loose ends to try and explain WHY it bombed.
But its pretty clear that Boxofficemojo and so forth knew something we didnt before predicting...

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

But its pretty clear that Boxofficemojo and so forth knew something we didnt before predicting...

I think that they had seen the data of "box office tracking".

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2