Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Fridays numbers(mojo) 
College Boy Z

BKB, Batman Begins will break $3 million this weekend with ease.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:16 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Actually BKB, most films increase on Saturdays, after their opening weekend when it is not uncommon to see certain genres drop slightly.

Now wait a second.. :-k That's not what someone said last weekend when I predicted WEDDING CRASHERS to do 50 Million for the weekend in that thread I made.. I forgot what it made on it's 1st day and I said it would increase on Saturday and someone said that Saturday's generally drop then the 1st day the film opens.. I believe itr might've been Mike or Baumer..

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

RogueCommander wrote:
Actually BKB, most films increase on Saturdays, after their opening weekend when it is not uncommon to see certain genres drop slightly.

Now wait a second.. :-k That's not what someone said last weekend when I predicted WEDDING CRASHERS to do 50 Million for the weekend in that thread I made.. I forgot what it made on it's 1st day and I said it would increase on Saturday and someone said that Saturday's generally drop then the 1st day the film opens.. I believe itr might've been Mike or Baumer..

For some films yes, their first Saturday will often times drop. However usually for a films second Saturday it will increase.

Some genres that are likely to drop on their first Saturday: Summer action films, horror films, suprise twist films (if the twist is poorly received), "R" rated comedies.

Those are the most common.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:18 pm
La Bella Vito

Absolutely amazing numbers for Charlie and Wedding Crashers. Also, Batman is holding up well, as is War of the Worlds and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I'm always surprised by March of the Penguins, its doing extraordinary. Is it possible Wedding Crashers can be number one this week, and beat Charlie? I don't think its that far of a stretch, it definitely has a chance. That's really too bad for The Island, it was a fantastic movie. I guess the marketing wasn't interesting enough for the general public.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
No Wire Tampons!

so NO ONE thinks it to be suspicous that a few box office websites pulled out VERY oddly low predictions at the last minute and then THe Island bombs even worse than those low, low expectations?

In comparison...Elektra made more in its first friday in January....and we all know how much certain people made fun of THAT one :P Elektra also cost less than half of what The Island did; and featured a female star in the lead. Basically...The Island is a bigger bomb than Elektra at this stage. Hell its even bigger a bomb than Gigli! :razz: ](*,)

On another note i had tipped Wedding Crashers for good legs earlier in the year, but the bigger than expected start i thought would counter balance that. Seems not.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

so NO ONE thinks it to be suspicous that a few box office websites pulled out VERY oddly low predictions at the last minute and then THe Island bombs even worse than those low, low expectations?

In comparison...Elektra made more in its first friday in January....and we all know how much certain people made fun of THAT one :P Elektra also cost less than half of what The Island did; and featured a female star in the lead. Basically...The Island is a bigger bomb than Elektra at this stage. Hell its even bigger a bomb than Gigli! :razz: ](*,)

On another note i had tipped Wedding Crashers for good legs earlier in the year, but the bigger than expected start i thought would counter balance that. Seems not.

This thing cost 124m + marketing. I don't want to make this sound worse than it is, but it's three times, maybe four times, as costly as Elektra ](*,) Not Gigli bad, no.... but pretty damn sad.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
je vois l'avenir

Well, I can't say I'm too surprised because I kindof expected it but I think that this is an awful weekend for the new openers. too bad. It could have been a huge weekend.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:41 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Michael wrote:

This thing cost 124m + marketing. I don't want to make this sound worse than it is, but it's three times, maybe four times, as costly as Elektra ](*,) Not Gigli bad, no.... but pretty damn sad.

If The Island's production budget is $100m. Its safe to add at least $30m for marketing and distribution. $130m+

It will probobly outgross Elektra due to its summer release. Summer releases tend to hold up quite well and furthermore have the advantage of bolstered weekdays. But still..

Gigli cost $74m combined. Made $6m back. So i guess it is the bigger bomb. But Gigli's average is only $1,000 less per site on the same friday.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Maximus wrote:
Michael wrote:

If The Island's production budget is $100m. Its safe to add at least $30m for marketing and distribution. $130m+

Gigli cost $74m combined. Made $6m back. So i guess it is the bigger bomb. But Gigli's average is only $1,000 less per site on the same friday.

Yeah, I heard the budget was 124+ from an interview with Michael Bay... about how he was really pissed at how the studios are treating the Island. And you're probably right, it doesn't look like they spent more than 30m on the marketing.

Ugh. Waste of BAD marketing, too.

:roll:

And I guess the movie isn't even that bad? ](*,)

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

The Island will make $40+ million total, plus a good amount worldwide, I think/hope.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:49 pm
Hot Fuss

The Island will make $40+ million total, plus a good amount worldwide, I think/hope.

Who's dealing with it overseas? I hope it isn't WB... ](*,)

If it's given a chance, this could pull a "Kingdom of Heaven" overseas, and get a respectable WW gross.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
je vois l'avenir

It will probobly outgross Elektra due to its summer release. Summer releases tend to hold up quite well and furthermore have the advantage of bolstered weekdays. But still..

Where in the world did you get that from. It more like the other way around. Summer releases drop like rocks.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:51 pm
je vois l'avenir

I think that it will finish 30-40m. Which is really sad seeing as people thought it would make that in its opening weekend.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:52 pm
Hot Fuss

Michael wrote:

Where in the world did you get that from. It more like the other way around. Summer releases drop like rocks.

Yea. Fights over screens. Too much competetion.... The Island is screwed. You've got big movies targeting the same audience on their way next weekend and beyond. This baby isn't going to recover at ALL from a bad opening.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

If you guys haven't noticed, this summer has been one of the most leggiest summers of the past few years. Plus, better weekdays do kind of make up for bigger drops during the weekend...

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
je vois l'avenir

Misutaa Supaakoru wrote:
Michael wrote:

Yea. Fights over screens. Too much competetion.... The Island is screwed. You've got big movies targeting the same audience on their way next weekend and beyond. This baby isn't going to recover at ALL from a bad opening.

thats another one of the biggest reason for the flop.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:56 pm
je vois l'avenir

If you guys haven't noticed, this summer has been one of the most leggiest summers of the past few years. Plus, better weekdays do kind of make up for bigger drops during the weekend...

Yea, I noticed, both BB and M&MS had amazing legs. Even WOTW isn't dropping too badly.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 pm
No Wire Tampons!

There we go.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

The Island's situation in a way reminds me so much of Waterworld. Both movies are disasters in proportion but at least Waterworld was able to break even when it was released overseas. They better find a way to market the movie overseas because Ewan isnt in the same league as Kevin Costner was 10 years ago(yes Kevin use to be a huge star back in the late 80s early 90s hard to believe)

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:03 am
Orphan

It would make some sense if Ewan was bigger overseas than domestic, wouldn't it? Isn't he British? The film may cross 100 million worldwide when all is said and done.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:26 am
Horror Hound

Woohoo, even CATWOMAN made $5M more from LESS theatres last year. :)

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:01 pm
now we know

Woohoo, even CATWOMAN made $5M more from LESS theatres last year. :)

\:D/

Add inflation too. =D>

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5