Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WoKJ Weekend predictions. 
King Albert!

Post WoKJ Weekend predictions.
1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 29.4m (-48%)
2. Wedding Crashers - 21.4m (-37%)
3. The Island - 19.1m
4. The Bad News Bears - 14.1m
5. The Fantastic Four - 10.4m (-54%)
6. Hustle and Flow - 8.8m
7. War of the Worlds - 7.6m (-50%)
8. The Devil's Rejects - 6.4m
9. Batman Begins - 3.5m (-42%)
10. March of the Penguins - 3.1m (+106%)

Here is the link. http://www.worldofkj.com/boxoffice/WeeklyPrediction/Prediction-19.php

Read and discuss. Please guys, I like to get some reponses to the article as well, and not just the predictions.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Except for Hustle and Flow, I think all your predictions are low.

Oh, and good read.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:59 pm
---------

We're almost the exact same on the new releases, except you're $6 million lower on the Island. I knew I should have gone lower....

You're very low on the holdovers as well... I think they will hold better than that.

I hope I didn't go too high on March of the Penguins ($4.1 million).

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:02 pm
Hot Fuss

Yeah, you seem to be low balling some things, but I see you're playing it safe. The actualy article is fine, Scott. You know what you're talking about. :wink:

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Sat May 29, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:15 pm
Forum General

I love reading what people predict about the box office, I find it very interesting, keep it up!

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Full Fledged Member

Island 19 mln? Sahara has started about 18 million, though few people waited film. I think, and it is not less 20 million.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Star Trek XI

I enjoyed your comparison of The Island and Lara Croft. Never even occurred to me!

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Post Re: WoKJ Weekend predictions.
Scott V. wrote:
3. The Island - 19.1m
4. The Bad News Bears - 14.1m
6. Hustle and Flow - 8.8m
8. The Devil's Rejects - 6.4m

Island waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low. Island is gonna be #1 with $30+ mill. ;)
BNB,HF and DR are about right.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:44 pm
Mod Team Leader

Bay's name alone will get 25 mill worth into the seats. It will open with more than 30, I think. There is no way WOTW drops 50% and I think Devil's Rejects gets about another mill.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

If Ridley Scott's name on a big epic didnt even guarantee that KOH to open over 20 million, Michael Bay's name probably wont guarantee the movie to open to over 30 million

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:18 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

The Island's main problem is that everytime I see or hear about it, only one word comes to mind: generic. Everything about this movie just reeks of it. The premise, a hodgepodge of sci-fi/action cliches. The commercials, the poster, and worst of all the title: THE ISLAND. Just screams generic to me. That's the movie's main problem, and why the tracking is so notoriously low.

On the other hand, Michael Bay's name bringing in people is a good point. And there's not much else for teenage boys this weekend. But I can't help but think that those craving a Michael Bay movie will be the ones making up that $20 million or so.

I'm not feeling any heat on this movie. I read all the film news sites...I read the reviews...and I was STILL constantly forgetting it was coming out this week. The sneak previews were a noble failure. There's just no buzz.

I really think marketing dropped the ball here. We shall see.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:34 pm
College Boy Z

If Ridley Scott's name on a big epic didnt even guarantee that KOH to open over 20 million, Michael Bay's name probably wont guarantee the movie to open to over 30 million

I didn't know Ridley Scott had his own fanclub...

Directors don't draw majority of audiences.

The combination of Spielberg and Cruise wasn't enough to bring people in to Minority Report to reach its high expectations for box-office, so why would Ridley Scott, who is relatively unknown among the average person, draw people to Kingdom of Heaven?

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:40 pm

El_Masked_esteROIDe_user wrote:

The combination of Spielberg and Cruise wasn't enough to bring people in to Minority Report to reach its high expectations for box-office, so why would Ridley Scott, who is relatively unknown among the average person, draw people to Kingdom of Heaven?

Arrgghg dangit Zing, I was trying to prove my point to Baumer ](*,) because he mentioned Michael Bay's name guarantees the Island to make more than 25 million. I was using Ridley Scott to prove a point that directors need big stars in movies to open

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:58 pm
---------

I guarantee 99% of the movie-going audience do not know who Michael Bay or Ridley Scott is. Most let alone could not name 3 directors.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:05 pm
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

Arrgghg dangit Zing, I was trying to prove my point to Baumer ](*,) because he mentioned Michael Bay's name guarantees the Island to make more than 25 million. I was using Ridley Scott to prove a point that directors need big stars in movies to open

:D

Always glad to ruin your good time...

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:07 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I think you'd be surprised at just how much of the target audience knows who Michael Bay is. Really. Not that it will really help the movie this time out.

I think this 'director' discussion is largely moot anyway...Ridley Scott directed Gladiator before KOH...people may not know off the top of their head who Scott is, but if they saw any of the trailers they damn well know that KOH was "from the director of Gladiator"...know what I mean? People know if that connection excites them...they don't need the name.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:11 pm
Site Owner

The people who know Michael Bay, do not know him for good reasons.

I would say he has mixed results in the public eye.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

"The Island" is a piece of crap name. It sounds like DiCaprio's The Beach or something like that.

Plus the whole clone thing doesnt ever really register with audiences. Look at bombs like The Sixth Day and Multiplicity.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:07 pm
Hot Fuss

The director and the name of the movie have nothing to do with its failure. Its the poor distribution and lack of advertising.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Actually there are director names that can open a movie and Im not talking about Spielberg either. You can attach the name of Quentin Tarentino and M Night Shymalan's name onto any movie and they will open pretty big. I guess it also helps that both directors I mentioned are pretty charistmatic when they get interviewed by talk show hosts

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:18 pm
College Boy Z

Actually there are director names that can open a movie and Im not talking about Spielberg either. You can attach the name of Quentin Tarentino and M Night Shymalan's name onto any movie and they will open pretty big

That's true, but it's not a guarantee. Shymalan's next film might not crack $30-40 million because of The Village.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:20 pm
Forum General

Actually there are director names that can open a movie and Im not talking about Spielberg either. You can attach the name of Quentin Tarentino and M Night Shymalan's name onto any movie and they will open pretty big

That's true, but it's not a guarantee. Shymalan's next film might not crack $30-40 million because of The Village.

Not everybody hated THE VILLAGE. A lot of my friends enjoyed it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Maybe or maybe not, M Night was able to rebound after the failure of Unbreakable although it still made close to 100 million. I dont think the Village will hurt his name that badly

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next