Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Botched releases of 2005? 
Forum General

Elektra's january release was the death sentence.
If they had moved it to maybe August not only would it have made more; it probobly wouldn't have been so critically slaughtered; however id also say that Elektras third weekend was basically destroyed by a snowstorm in the east coast which increased ALL drops. Its circumstances werent good; and bad buzz killed it at the last minute.

I still think my friends and I were the only people to go out in that storm to see a movie :wink: In fact, we saw PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and ELEKTRA :razz:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:15 pm
Speed Racer

If they had moved it to maybe August not only would it have made more; it probobly wouldn't have been so critically slaughtered; however id also say that Elektras third weekend was basically destroyed by a snowstorm in the east coast which increased ALL drops. Its circumstances werent good; and bad buzz killed it at the last minute.

Or maybe it's because it sucked some MAJOR ass \:D/

Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Michael wrote:

Or maybe it's because it sucked some MAJOR ass \:D/

Haha, here here! And I fail to see why people would have been any kinder to that horrid little shitfest in August rather then January. People don't get stupider in the summer. That movie was doomed the moment it went into production.

Personally, I thought Unleashed was up until I saw just how collosal a failure The Island was.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:17 pm
Lord of filth

If anything, being released in August after Batman would have made Elektra look even worse.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

I think that Kung Fu Hustle wins the prize. They should have kept in as a limited release. I think that they really screwed up.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:59 pm
Hot Fuss

The Island.

Yup. Biggest fuckup.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I dont know why everyones screaming the island was a botched release. It had everything going for it. It just....bombed.

Elektra, however, did not have everything going for it..which is why it was a botched release.
But i appreciate that Elektra is actually one of the more artistically thought through superhero flicks in recent years. Even if its narrative and storytelling needed work. And Terrance Stamp was awful.

But Natassia Malthe was seriously sexy; and Jennifer Garner....well...

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I dont know why everyones screaming the island was a botched release. It had everything going for it. It just....bombed.

Elektra, however, did not have everything going for it..which is why it was a botched release.
But i appreciate that Elektra is actually one of the more artistically thought through superhero flicks in recent years. Even if its narrative and storytelling needed work. And Terrance Stamp was awful.

But Natassia Malthe was seriously sexy; and Jennifer Garner....well...

What the hell? Elektra was NOT a *botched* release. The movie wasn't very good.

Now, The Island is *not* a bad movie. It's supposed to be pretty decent, actually. It is a bomb, yes, but that is because of hardly any marketing and a horrible, horrible release. WB fucked it up big time, Michael. You don't live here.... you don't know how there was NOTHING going for The Island.

A horrible release.... it was thrown around like a rag doll.

It's different when were dealing with 124m dollar films, too...

That's why it's the most botched release....

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:17 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

They spent over $100+ million for making the damn movie, but can't put a *little* more effort into the marketing? They screwed themselves.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:21 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I kind of agree with Michael in a way. Is it really the marketting thats supposed to be blamed for this. As I recall I didnt hear anyone really complain about the marketting 2 weeks ago when commercials for the movie have been airing for quite some time. I know sometimes its sort of easier to blame another department for it but I thought the marketting was ok. What exactly was missing from the marketting anyhow or did they screw something up big time? Also its hard to market a trailer if theres no voice over for it and I do remember some posters here mentioning that the money shots for the trailer got some great reaction. I just think that the Island got lost because it didnt feature a major star, didnt use the Bruckheimer name since he takes credit for all the successful action movies, and the name "from the creator of Armageddon" is very vague

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:28 am
Orphan

The marketing for 'The Island' featured too many random shots of action set-pieces without context. I agree that a voiceover for the trailer might have helped as it could have relayed the plot while the action was shown on-screen.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:11 am
Indiana Jones IV

I kind of agree with Michael in a way. Is it really the marketting thats supposed to be blamed for this. As I recall I didnt hear anyone really complain about the marketting 2 weeks ago when commercials for the movie have been airing for quite some time. I know sometimes its sort of easier to blame another department for it but I thought the marketting was ok. What exactly was missing from the marketting anyhow or did they screw something up big time? Also its hard to market a trailer if theres no voice over for it and I do remember some posters here mentioning that the money shots for the trailer got some great reaction. I just think that the Island got lost because it didnt feature a major star, didnt use the Bruckheimer name since he takes credit for all the successful action movies, and the name "from the creator of Armageddon" is very vague

Many movies' trailers don't have voice over, but they still became box office hits.

However, overall, your analysis is very good. =D>

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2