Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 A Sound of Thunder - 2005's "Pluto Nash"? 
Indiana Jones IV

Post A Sound of Thunder - 2005's "Pluto Nash"?
I just saw the new trailer of "A Sound of Thunder", which will be available online. CGI scenes are short, but they are much better than what I have seen in the first trailer. However, overall, I think that first trailer is much better than the second trailer. In short, I think that the new trailer isn't good enough to attract many people.

Ot the other hand, this movie is from the makers and screenwriters of "Sahara", which bombed earlier this year.

BTW, since Franchise Pictures (which financed this movie) are dead, Warner Bros won't likely to give this movie many support. (Warner Bros is only a distributor of this movie.)

Although Ray Bradbury likes this movie, I still think that "A Sound of Thunder" will bomb very hard.

My prediction:
2/4

Old trailer
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/asoundofthunder/

New trailer will be available online.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I'm going to have to wait to see the trailer itself, but I'm not sure. September 2nd is a pretty terrible release date though. It has a ton of competition in what's a just plain awful weekend to release a movie. Transporter 2 could do 15-20+ million that weekend, and considering how many people will go to the theater that weekend, it doesn't leave a lot of room.

Oh, and I'd hardly call Sahara a bomb. The movie easily outperformed most all expectations, and did extremely well considering the amount of marketing that went into it. The budget was high, but a lot of that was paid off through international investors. Paramount and the makers of Sahara came away on top.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:22 am
No Wire Tampons!

MovieDude - au contrare. Sahara may have outperformed expectations [superbomb] but as it stands outperforming its expectations wasn't exactly an achievement - i know your a fan of the film, or your mother wanted to see it or something; but Sahara is going to have to sell a lot of DVDs to make up its budget. The studio probobly garnered about $28-35m from its domestic performance. They paid $150m minimum to advertise it in North America and then actually create it. Furthermore - its likely that the studio engaged theaters in a frontloaded pattern expectation; a deal which makes the opening 2-4 sessions sweeter for the studio; but the following frames way more profitable for theaters. Its not like Sahara had hundreds of marketing spin offs either. So its "Other Revenue" right now isn't likely to be huge either.

Anyway the A Sound of Thunder Novel brought up some amazing theories into public forum - but the adaptation dosent look like a total failure. What IS missing [and is fairly obvious] is a big name star. The cast is generally unknown and thats whats giving it bad buzz. High profile source material should garner a high profile star.
Still; it looks thrilling and i'll probobly catch a rental.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:04 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I'm a little confused. Which weekend is Labor Day weekend this year?

And, until I see the new trailer, I'm not quite sure.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:44 am
now we know

This looks so SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:47 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

This looks so SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I think you're wrong. You have about 3 too many S's, 1 unnecessary H, and 6 useless T's. Take those out, and you're right on the noodle.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:51 am
Indiana Jones IV

Algren wrote:

I think you're wrong. You have about 3 too many S's, 1 unnecessary H, and 6 useless T's. Take those out, and you're right on the noodle.

LOL!

Yeah, this movie will bomb. Probably no more than $15m total, could easiliy be less.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:12 am
now we know

Algren wrote:
This looks so SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Better?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Mr. X wrote:
Algren wrote:
This looks so SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Better?

Perfect.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:04 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Mr. X wrote:
Algren wrote:

LOL!

Yeah, this movie will bomb. Probably no more than $15m total, could easiliy be less.

Probably no more than $5m total, , could easiliy be less.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Post Re: A Sound of Thunder - 2005's "Pluto Nash"?
mary wrote:
Ot the other hand, this movie is from the makers and screenwriters of "Sahara", which bombed earlier this year.

??

I recall when Sahara came out, everone here was surprised at it doing pretty well and it was called a minor hit. A Sound of Thunder looks like a somewhat fun movie but I doubt it will make much. It could pull a Sahara and surprise on the upside though. The movie it reminds me most of is Timeline.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Archie Gates wrote:
I recall when Sahara came out, everone here was surprised at it doing pretty well

Not everyone, Archie, not everyone... A certain poster, who shall go unnamed, managed to predict an $18 million opening weekend and a $69 million total.

That poster, was me.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:35 pm
Draughty

Snrub wrote:
Archie Gates wrote:
I recall when Sahara came out, everone here was surprised at it doing pretty well

Not everyone, Archie, not everyone... A certain poster, who shall go unnamed, managed to predict an $18 million opening weekend and a $69 million total.

That poster, was me.

Isn't that thread due for its monthly bump?

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Archie Gates wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Archie Gates wrote:

That poster, was me.

Isn't that thread due for its monthly bump?

:-k

You're right! :grin:

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:58 pm
Where will you be?

MovieDude - au contrare. Sahara may have outperformed expectations [superbomb] but as it stands outperforming its expectations wasn't exactly an achievement - i know your a fan of the film, or your mother wanted to see it or something; but Sahara is going to have to sell a lot of DVDs to make up its budget. The studio probobly garnered about $28-35m from its domestic performance. They paid $150m minimum to advertise it in North America and then actually create it. Furthermore - its likely that the studio engaged theaters in a frontloaded pattern expectation; a deal which makes the opening 2-4 sessions sweeter for the studio; but the following frames way more profitable for theaters. Its not like Sahara had hundreds of marketing spin offs either. So its "Other Revenue" right now isn't likely to be huge either.

Anyway the A Sound of Thunder Novel brought up some amazing theories into public forum - but the adaptation dosent look like a total failure. What IS missing [and is fairly obvious] is a big name star. The cast is generally unknown and thats whats giving it bad buzz. High profile source material should garner a high profile star.

Michael - Paramount paid 40 million for domestic rights for Sahara. It was an independent production.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:30 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Michael wrote:

Michael - Paramount paid 40 million for domestic rights for Sahara. It was an independent production.

No, Paramount paid $0 for domestic rights for Sahara.
For US release, Paramount just release "Sahara" for a fee. (P&A is provided by other company.)
But Paramount did spent some money to acquire distrib rights in several overseas territories.

In fact, Warner Bros releases "A Sound of Thunder" in a similar style. (In short, Warner Bros paid $0 for the US release of "A Sound of Thunder")

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I remember watching the trailer for "a sound of thunder" like 9 months ago.I thought it looked interesting (I enjoy time travel movies).The same thing that happened to "mindhunters" will probably happen to this movie.Open small and drop fast.I might go see it though if it comes to the local theatre.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Looks interesting but has a good chance to bomb given its low-wattage cast and release date.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:09 am
Indiana Jones IV

The new trailer, which made me lost my faith on this movie, is online now....
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/asou ... ler_hi.mov

Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:16 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Hmm, it actually doesn't look that bad. However, the release date sucks and all the delays don't help.

$8 million opening, $20 million total.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:09 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

The new trailer is very good, but I highly doubt that is going to have that much of an effect on the film's potential.

Opening: $9.5 million
Total: $21 million

Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:13 pm
Indiana Jones IV

If this movie can gross $20 million total, Warner Bros will be happy....
(But I think that this movie won't even gross more than $6 million....)

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Since "The Island' bomb, I lower my prediction:
1/2

BTW, "A Sound of Thunder" trailer will be on screen with some prints of "Stealth"; but it won't be on screen with "The Dukes Of Hazzard".

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

1/2

BTW, "A Sound of Thunder" trailer will be on screen with some prints of "Stealth"; but it won't be on screen with "The Dukes Of Hazzard".

I fail to see the connection between The Island boming. Mary, I think that you're just trying too hard for this to bomb. What movie has done that awful on more then 1,000 screens this year?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:19 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

mary wrote:
1/2

I fail to see the connection between The Island boming. Mary, I think that you're just trying too hard for this to bomb. What movie has done that awful on more then 1,000 screens this year?

Not even Alone in the Dark did this bad

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next