Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Monday's Early Numbers--Thanks to Cut and Print 
Star Trek XI

Post Monday's Early Numbers--Thanks to Cut and Print
Charlie -- $8.5
WC -- $5.7
F4 -- $2.8
WOTW -- $1.8
BB -- $780, 629

I am very pleased with how Charlie did. In contrast, F4 made 6.1 its first Monday. To me that confirms that the HP release did have an effect on its OW numbers and it should do fine now. Unless Bad News Bears comes out of left field and knocks it out of the park. In which case I'll throw a broken bat at Billy Bob Thornton.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:22 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Impressive for both of the openers if these are indeed true.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:33 pm
Star Trek XI

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Im more impressed by WC numbers,thats very good.CATCF did as i expected,IMO HP affected it on sat and it wouldnt have dropped if it werent for HP.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Bad News Bears will not have nearly the effect on Charlie as Charlie had on F4. F4 earned 15% more on its second Friday than its first Monday, and I can't see Charlie having smaller ratio in comparison. That will give it at least 9.7M on Friday. 30M seems very likely at this point, so yes, Charlie's Monday number is amazing.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Last edited by xiayun on Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
The Wedding Crashers -49.94%
Fantastic Four -60.32%
War of the Worlds -60.88%
Batman Begins -57.59%

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:52 pm
Mod Team Leader

If these are true, then that is a fantastic number for WC.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Im more impressed by WC numbers,thats very good.CATCF did as i expected,IMO HP affected it on sat and it wouldnt have dropped if it werent for HP.

Really, you expected that? I was trying to find movies with similar opening weekends and non-holiday Mondays and I couldn't find anything like it. Most of them were like F4 numbers. But I'm not a premiere member of BOM so I can't search very far back.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

For perspective, this Monday number for Charlie would already be bigger than POTA's first monday, when it's weekend was $12m lower.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:02 pm
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:

Really, you expected that? I was trying to find movies with similar opening weekends and non-holiday Mondays and I couldn't find anything like it. Most of them were like F4 numbers. But I'm not a premiere member of BOM so I can't search very far back.

I expected around 9mill actually for CATCF,and about 4mill for WC.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

For perspective, this Monday number for Charlie would already be bigger than POTA's first monday, when it's weekend was $12m lower.

POTA? What am I missing here...?

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:26 pm
Forum General

Jiffy208 wrote:

POTA? What am I missing here...?

I think he meant PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:32 pm
Extraordinary

Yeah, it's already higher than Apes' first Monday, which is 8.2M. Apes went on to have 27.5M for the second weekend. Charlie will have better weekday holds thanks for better WOM and the now record-breaking IMAX sale, so it looks very rosy from here on.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Record-breaking IMAX? Details please!

http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/ ... ewsID=1365

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Comingsoon's article from this morning was better.

http://www.comingsoon.net

IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The IMAX Experience" opened to enthusiastic audience reception and record breaking box office performance this past weekend. The film debuted in a record 65 North American IMAX® theatres - the widest domestic IMAX opening to date - grossing an estimated $2.21 million over the three-day period from Friday, July 15 to Sunday, July 17, for a per screen average of more than $34,000. In addition to establishing a new three-day opening record, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The IMAX Experience" also set single day box office records with the biggest opening day, Saturday and Sunday for an IMAX digitally re-mastered release.

"Batman Begins: The IMAX Experience" continues to draw crowds around the world, and in less than five weeks in IMAX theatres, the film has now grossed approximately $12.5 million worldwide. With the two films combining to gross over $2.5 million, the three-day period was IMAX's highest grossing summer weekend.

"Early research shows that everyone from eight to eighty loves 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' at IMAX theatres," said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution at Warner Bros. Pictures. "IMAX offers moviegoers a special and unique way to experience our tentpole films, and given the overwhelmingly positive audience response to The IMAX Experience®, we look forward to strong results for weeks to come. This film and 'Batman Begins' are a great one-two summer punch in IMAX's format, and we've been very impressed with the incremental box office IMAX theatres are contributing."

"'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The IMAX Experience' had a phenomenal all-record breaking opening largely due to its wide audience appeal and the great integrated marketing campaign Warner Bros. Pictures executed to launch the film," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "IMAX continues to gain traction with each successive day-and-date Hollywood release, and we are increasingly pulling people off of their couches to experience today's biggest event films in IMAX's format. 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' has incredible word of mouth coming out of its first weekend, and 'Batman Begins' continues to show strong legs in IMAX theatres, which has us confident our blockbuster summer film slate will continue generating impressive box office returns throughout the season."

Concluded Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment, "When you see 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' on the IMAX screen, it becomes completely obvious why we set out to offer today's biggest Hollywood films in the most immersive film format in the world. Tim Burton's brilliant telling of the Roald Dahl classic is a feast for the senses in IMAX - you're completely engulfed in the vivid colors, entertaining score and adventure of the film. Warner Bros. Pictures has delivered another picture that is ideally suited for the IMAX canvas, as evidenced by the exceptional consumer response and record breaking debut."

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:02 pm
The Producer

wanderer wrote:

xiayun, do you probably have some correct IMAX numbers for films like Polar Express, both Matrix sequels, etc.
45 million for Polar that's a lot!!!!!! Space Station makes about 65 in nearly 3 years!!!

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:03 pm
Star Trek XI

Wow! Did the guy who wrote that work for WB? :roll:

Really sounds good for the movie, though! Thanks for that link too, Loyal. Though it must be excruciating for you to see these numbers :wink:

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Excellent for the openers. CATCF monday is bigger than Azkabans first monday :smile:

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Wow! Did the guy who wrote that work for WB? :roll:

Really sounds good for the movie, though! Thanks for that link too, Loyal. Though it must be excruciating for you to see these numbers :wink:

Some of those quotes are WB (Dan Fellman).

It's much more painful to see Herbie make money (remember I gave Charlie a C- or as Ebert would say, a mild thumbs down).

I am creating a "Charlie Drops 55+% This Weekend" thread.

I apologize in advance. :razz:

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:18 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Wow! I was expecting $6.5 million, not $8.5 million! Charlie's unstoppable!

Who'd a thought six months ago that the film to save the 2005 box office and outgross both The Passion of the Christ and Spiderman 2 combined would turn out to be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Me. That's who.

Last edited by Snrub on Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:18 pm
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:
wanderer wrote:

xiayun, do you probably have some correct IMAX numbers for films like Polar Express, both Matrix sequels, etc.
45 million for Polar that's a lot!!!!!! Space Station makes about 65 in nearly 3 years!!!

I don't have them handy, and both BOM and The Numbers only list the full-time IMAX releases instead of including movies such as The Polar Express. Here are the articles about TPE's IMAX at The Numbers:

Weekend 1: $3 million (5-day) / 2.16 (3-day), 59 screens
Weekend 2: $2.05 million, 59 screens

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next