Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Fall Predictions...Saw, Exorcism, Fog and Flight 
Horror Hound

Post Fall Predictions...Saw, Exorcism, Fog and Flight
What are your predictions for this falls horror/thriller movies?

Saw 2
The sequel to the 2004 $103M worldwide box office hit. The original was budgeted on $1.2M and grossed $55M in America alone accompanied by audience praise.
OCTOBER 28

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose
A bitter and repressed single lawyer (Laura Linney) takes on the church and the state when she fights for the life of a priest who performed a deadly exorcism on a young woman.
SEPTEMBER 9

The Fog
A remake of John Carpenters 1980 horror classic. The $18M budget remake stars Tom Welling, Maggie Grace and Selma Blair.
OCTOBER 14

Flightplan
Jodie Fosters latest thriller takes place on a double decker aeroplane where everyone onboard denies that her now missing daughter ever entered the plane.
SEPTEMBER 23

What are your predictions?

Flightplan- $23M/$64M
Saw 2- $19M/$47M
The Fog- $26M/$70M
The Exorcism of Emily Rose $21M/$55M

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:34 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Flightplan should perform similar to last years child-abduction film The Forgotten, so an opening in the mid-to low $20 million range and finish with around $65-$70 million.

Saw 2 is going to have trouble finding an audience. Most people think it is completely uncalled for. If it can manage a good marketing campaign then there may be hope in sight. An opening of around $16 million with a domestic total of $35 million seems right.

The Fog, while being a remake might help, the abundance of horror movies is going to cause a backlash. It is, however, found to have poor reviews, but should hold its own for Halloween. An opening of $20 million and domestic total of $55 million seems likely.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose a tough one to predict as the marketing campaign has been very light as of late. Does not seem like a mainstream film, so I would not expect blockbuster numbers. Rather, it should open to $12 million and finish with $30 million domestically.

Last edited by Jeff on Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:04 am
College Boy Z

Flightplan should do better than The Forgotten did because even for a horror film, it's got some action in it as well. Around $22 million for the opening, and $70 million total.

Saw 2 will have a bigger opening than the original, but about the same (or slightly smaller total). Around a $20 million opening weekend and about $50 million total.

The Fog should do great. It won't be this year's The Grudge, but I could see a big opening weekend and total if it is marketed properly and the trailer is very good. Around $27 million opening and $75 million total.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose has an excellent trailer but a terrible release date. However, if the marketing picks up in August (since it is very early right now), I think this could do very well. Opening around $24 million for the opening weekend and $60 million total. Although I could see a $25 million opening and $70 million total. The trailer is just great.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:16 pm
Romosexual!

The Fog- 15/45
Saw 2- 12/40
The Exorcism of Emily Rose 10/40

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:01 pm
Orphan

Flightplan - Jodie Foster can still bring in the audiences and this one looks entertaining if derivative in light of 'The Forgotten' so I see an opening in the mid 20's and a finish north of 70 million.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose - This film has an intriguing trailer and premise with a few recognizable actors who aren't really stars that will bring in an audience. Opening: 15 million Finish: 45 million

The Fog - A high-profile remake with a decent cast and trailer along with a good release date, this could be 'The Grudge' of this year. Opening: 35 million Finish: 100 million

Saw 2 - An unneeded sequel but one that isn't entirely implausible given the first film's whopper of an ending. Should open a little higher than the original. Opening: 22 million Finish: 53 million

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:37 pm
Where will you be?

You're all going to be dissapointed by Flightplan. The Forgotten had one of the best marketing campaigns of 2004, and VERY little competition. I don't expect lightning to hit twice, especially considering it's opening against four other movies on the same weekend (Cry Wolf, Waiting, Corpse Bride, and Roll Bounce). If this one has a budget bigger then 50 million it will most likely do the worst of those five relatively speaking. Red Eye having come out a month before will also hurt big time. 17/46

Saw 2 is another one I'm worried about. It's opening weekend was 18 million, but would've been closer to 16 million if Halloween wasn't it's Sunday. This time, it'll land on a Monday. The Legend of Zorro being the same weekend will also hurt, as I think that'll completely overshadow it and open above 30 million, probably closer to 40 million then not. So I'd give Saw a good increase for the opening weekend but slightly lower total. 22/50

Now The Fog, there's one that I see really catching on. Sony did a masterful job last year with the marketing for The Grudge, and they're supposedly going to use the exact same strategies they did for that with this. The teaser site is scarier then a lot of horror movie trailers have been this year. Doom being in second weekend will make the legs much worse then The Grudge, but I don't think it'll fail at getting a similar opening weekend. 37/100

The last one is the real diceroll for me. It all depends on how well the final marketing is for this one, but the trailer was genuinely frightening, so I'd expect it to be Sony's next Forgotten as far as great mysterious September thrillers go. The movie itself could be pretty terrible though, so right now with the true story angle I'm thinking it'll be just like White Noise from January and start the horror flicks of the season with a bang. 22/49

There's a ton of other horror thrillers this fall though masonmyers. Don't forget about The Cave (Aug 26th), The Woods (Sept. 2nd), A Sound of Thunder (Sept. 2nd), The Reaper (Sept. 16), Cry Wolf (Sept. 23rd), A History of Violence (Sept. 30th)(well, it's as much a thriller as Flightplan), Into the Blue (Sept. 30th)(just look at the new trailer and try and say it's not being marketed as a horror/thriller), Stay (Oct. 14th), and Doom (Oct. 21st).

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:11 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

Saw 2- The first one grew a hardcore fanbase, but for others, it was a mixed reaction. Some found it too much, some found it not scary at all. I think this will result in alot of frontloaded-ness with not so good legs, unless this one is super amazing.
Opening: 24 Million
Total: 53 million

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
It seems like one of those HORRIBLY CREEPY but KEEP IT ON THE LOW horror films. The film will probably generate good buzz and in turn, good legs. But I feel the ads haven't been good enough and the film will get a pretty low opening. Expect it to be a HUGE hit on DVD though.
Opening: 8 Million
Total: 40 Million

The Fog
Its one of those TEENS GET REALLY SCARED! movie, which should generate a decent opening if the ads are right. Unfortunatly, this film is on the other end of a horror film overkill that we had this year. So the ads have to be really scary and generate good buzz in order to get a good opening. But the legs will be like most other horror films, decent or bad.
Opening: 17 Million
Total: 60 Million

Flightplan
Jodie Foster hasn't been in a film for a while so that should attract some people for her name alone. The movies concept sounds very original and looks to be a great joyride. It sort of reminds me of Foster's last thriller Panic Room. The ads weren't so SCARY for the film, but the concept was incredibly original. I think it could surprise and perform near or on part with Panic Room.
Opening: 27 Million
Total: 86 Million

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Fall Predictions...Saw, Exorcism, Fog and Flight
mansonmyers wrote:
Flightplan
Jodie Fosters latest thriller takes place on a double decker aeroplane where everyone onboard denies that her now missing daughter ever entered the plane.

I love shit like this! \:D/ Never heard of it before, but I think they can sell a premise like that. $24/$81

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:14 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

Post Re: Fall Predictions...Saw, Exorcism, Fog and Flight
Amos wrote:
mansonmyers wrote:
Flightplan

I love shit like this! \:D/ Never heard of it before, but I think they can sell a premise like that. $24/$81

you have to see the trailer. Its freakin amazing. It sells the concept so well.

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Finally got around to seeing the trailer for The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Zing, I have to agree with you it was very well done, and genuinely creepy.

I could see it becoming the Saw of this year -- a small, independent film but a good advertising campaign that really catches on.

I'm going to raise my prediction to:

Opening: $19 million
Domestic Total: $58 million

Last edited by Jeff on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:19 am
now we know

The only one i really care about at the moment is Saw 2. So on that basis, i'd say:

Saw - $25 Million/$76 Million

:)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:58 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I'd say that FlightPlan is likely to have a better reception than The Forgotten.
The only decent part of the forgotten is when a car ploughed into our leads. Which isnt supposed to be a good thing.

Anyway - yeah The Forgotten had a horrible horrible ending; even if flightplan is mediocre and has an OK ending it has a chance at better legs - and The Forgotten's legs were damn impressive.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Saw 2- $11/$24
The Fog- $24/$59
The Exorcism of Emily Rose $18/$39

When the word that EXORCISM isn't a horror movie, I think it'll drop like a rock.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Any movie with the word Exorcist or Exorcism just bored the hell outta me.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I'd say that FlightPlan is likely to have a better reception than The Forgotten.
The only decent part of the forgotten is when a car ploughed into our leads. Which isnt supposed to be a good thing.

Anyway - yeah The Forgotten had a horrible horrible ending; even if flightplan is mediocre and has an OK ending it has a chance at better legs - and The Forgotten's legs were damn impressive.

The Forgotten did as well as it did thanks to Sony continuing the great marketing, and there not being an alternative horror thriller for the next couple of weeks. Flightplan will most certainly not be given that favor.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:38 pm
Extraordinary

I just saw the trailer for flightplan and it looks shitty.

Flightplan:11/40
Saw 2:20/60
The exorcism of emily rose:10/35

The Fog:18/55

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Saw 2:23/65
The exorcism of emily rose:9/28
The Fog:16/52

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:59 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Just saw the first part of the Emily Rose trailer. I honestly had to stop watching it.
Who would USE that as a marketing ploy? Sweet god i was terrified.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:20 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

After seeing The Fog trailer, I'm thinking a $30 million weekend and $85 million total.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]