Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 FANTASTIC To Get Us Out of the Box Office Slump? 
Forum General

Post FANTASTIC To Get Us Out of the Box Office Slump?
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY Wed Jul 6, 7:24 AM ET

In the eyes of movie executives, it's clobberin' time for the attendance slide that has been throttling Hollywood for nearly five months.

And only a few films are left to lead the charge.

Fantastic Four hits screens Friday, and a lot is riding on the shoulders of the quartet who gain superpowers after a radiation accident. For 19 weeks, movie ticket sales have lagged relative to comparable weekends in 2004, a record. Even Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg couldn't end the moviegoing slump.

That leaves the fate of Hollywood's box-office world in the hands of Mr. Fantastic/Reed Richards and his band of mutated astronauts: The Thing ("It's clobberin' time")/Ben Grimm, Invisible Woman/Sue Storm and Human Torch/Johnny Storm. (Related story: Despite expectations, this Fantastic cast remains cool)

Few films this year have come freighted with more expectations. Fans have been waiting decades for a Fantastic Four movie. A campy 1994 Roger Corman movie was made so Constantin Films could keep the film rights, but the movie was never released. Directors and writers have been dropped from the project over creative differences.

Already, distributor 20th Century Fox has committed to two FantasticFour sequels. At least 60 companies have merchandising tie-ins with the film. And Hollywood is hoping it can finally get a new comic franchise off the ground.

Marvel Studios chief Avi Arad says the wait will be worth it.

"This isn't like the other (comic-book) movies," he says. "It's not so dark. It's funny. It will be the feel-good movie of the summer."

And Hollywood hasn't had much to feel good about this season; ticket sales are off 12% compared with last summer.

Even if the slump does end, says Brandon Gray of Box Office Mojo, "it's too late (to catch up with last year's box office) this year. But whether it's Fantastic Four or someone else, it will be a chance to shake the stigma the studios are just turning out turkeys."

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Yeah Fantastic 4 will most likely make more than Spider-Man 2 did on its second weekend and Dark Water might do a little better than King Arthur.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

I doubt it. Expect another down weekend. I don't know when we're getting out of the slump. I doubt it will be in the summer. :???:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

We've got a shot to break the losing streak this weekend.

Last year, the top 12 total was $137,834,394, with the top movie being Spider-Man 2 with around $45 million, and Anchorman with around $28 million.

If Fantastic Four can get around $60 million, and War of the Worlds lands around $35 million, we should be good.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:21 pm
Romosexual!

We've got a shot to break the losing streak this weekend.

Last year, the top 12 total was $137,834,394, with the top movie being Spider-Man 2 with around $45 million, and Anchorman with around $28 million.

If Fantastic Four can get around $60 million, and War of the Worlds lands around $35 million, we should be good.

oh it'll happen ;)

F4 69
WoW 32
DW 16
and the rest earning 30 mill.
total 147m \:D/

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME! :xena:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:27 pm
Extraordinary

F4:45.1
WOTW:35.55
DW:11.2

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

There's no doubt that this weekend will be bigger than the same last year; King Arthur bombed and Spider-Man 2 did a mdest $45M. This year, WotW will be doing $30M+ and FF will be doing at the very least $40M.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It will happen, finally. For that to happen, Fantastic Four needs to open with over $55 million, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It will happen, finally. For that to happen, Fantastic Four needs to open with over $55 million, but that shouldn't be a problem.

$45 million is really the minimum (but there is a chance it might not hit it!). Dark Water will most likely hit $15 million this weekend, thus beating King Arthur and War of the Worlds will easily make more than $28 million this weekend, thus beating Anchorman. The other movies won't be hard to beat although F-911 might beat this years fourth place but that won't matter much!

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:29 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Fantastic Four will hit it 60-70 Million with no problem and for all the folks that say this won't get the box office out of the slump?? How do you know it won't?? Better yet: I didn't even know there was a box office slump and it seems Analysts are slow on news lately and too hung up on numbers to the point where the rest of the year will be in a box office slump the way there going with this.. Christ, every Monday from this point on will be nothig but the focus of the box office slump when in reality, movies are actually doing pretty good..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Yeah, I think that if Fantastic Four can outdo Spider-Man 2 by a few million, War of the Worlds can beat Anchorman by a slight margin, and Dark Water can equal King Arthur we could beat it. Personally, I think all three will occur, plus I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Water seriously breaks out with 20 million.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:00 am
Orphan

Just think that next year it'll be really easy for the box office analysts to proclaim that it's on a roll because it won't have to do much to beat this year's totals.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:28 am

Box Office Guru expects FF4 to open at 55 Million or higher and it has the 1 thing they've pointed out that audiences are starting to grow tired of, which is Dark, Depressing and Gloomy and FF4 has the FUN factor going for it and is opening in more than 3500 screens.. I'll take FUN Aanyday over more dark and gloomy which is all we've had so far this summer.. BATMAN is expected to drop screens and make around 8.5 Million bringing it to 170 Million and with a number like that, 200 Million is out of reach and disappointing when factoring the cost of the movie and it's marketing cost bringing it to more than 230 Million.. Sorry Batfans, but that is underwhelming, but as always, you'll throw a positive spin on it and use the Worldwide number nonsense to make it look like the movie is making more than what it has and in the Media and in the U.S: DOMESTIC is the measure of a films success, NOT Worldwide..

Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

230m? Where do you get 80m marketing? It was no more then 50m probably. I dont even get how you would know with 170m by the end of this week Begins wont have a shot at 200m, you dont really get it, you come lurking in the BO forums once in awhile just to stir stuff up with your crazy predictions and your I think I know it all attitude, it's pretty funny. Begins is still well ahead of the other Bat flicks in the showdown http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises ... tmanvs.htm with this pace it's almost a lock for 200m, 190m i'd say is the minimum.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:02 am
College Boy Z

BKB, if it hits $200 million (which it will, or come very close to), that's not a dissapointment. All the predictions were in the $175-250 million range anyways.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:18 am
La Bella Vito

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:24 am
Profile YIM WWW

230m? Where do you get 80m marketing? It was no more then 50m probably. I dont even get how you would know with 170m by the end of this week Begins wont have a shot at 200m, you dont really get it, you come lurking in the BO forums once in awhile just to stir stuff up with your crazy predictions and your I think I know it all attitude, it's pretty funny. Begins is still well ahead of the other Bat flicks in the showdown http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises ... tmanvs.htm with this pace it's almost a lock for 200m, 190m i'd say is the minimum.

Jesus, ](*,) it cost 150 Million to make and 70-80 Million that WB tossed in for the Marketing, THEREFORE, if this film doesn't make at least 230 Million DOMESTICALLY by the end of it's run, it will be considered an underwhelming disappointment regardless of how much of a positive spin batfans throw on this.. It's true.. Look it up yourself and you'll see how much it cost and it's marketing cost..

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:31 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

BKB, where did you get this marketing cost figure from?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:33 am

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/sho ... p?t=186230

Here is a Quote from the BATMAN Boards at SUPERHEROHYPE:

"I also had a recent phone conversation with someone at Warner Brothers, in which I was told that even though the numbers are what I would consider fairly good for "Batman Begins", they're far lower than what the studio expected. I was also told that the sequel will have a much lower budget than the 150 million they spent on Begins".

Got it??? Good.. :roll:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:37 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186230

Here is a Quote from the BATMAN Boards at SUPERHEROHYPE:

"I also had a recent phone conversation with someone at Warner Brothers, in which I was told that even though the numbers are what I would consider fairly good for "Batman Begins", they're far lower than what the studio expected. I was also told that the sequel will have a much lower budget than the 150 million they spent on Begins".

Got it??? Good.. :roll:

Um, BKB...

That doesn't say one thing about $70-80 million for the marketing. Where did you get the marketing figure from? I knew the budget already...

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:40 am

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/sho ... p?t=186111

Here's more on the cost of the Marketing of this movie:

what happened was up until june 3rd, batmans promos had been amazing. tons og magazine and news and wesbite coverage. super bowl spots, spots with every tv finale ect, reports of endelss tie ins. it had dozens of movie posters and all kinds of billboards and numerous toy lines. it all pointed ot be it being the most markted film in some time. but the one thing w.b. failed at was the most important aspect- tv spots. adn they failed BIG TIME. I stared 2-3 threads about the same thing: when are tv spoyts going to really "kick in" and be everywhere? well, the never did. they, but their quick and simple. i think batmans ****ing dvd marketing ill be better its theater marketing was(tv spot-wise). another good point lightningstrikez made inthe ff forum-batmans domestic budget for markeitn was probably roughly 60 million, while ff's is 50. the difference was that while ff's is lower, it seems like theres more because they did NOTHING up until a month ago-no tv spot with super bowl, no finale spots. they saved it all for the few weeks leading up to it. batman had 2 trailed before ff had one. batman had 4 posters until ff had 1. the plan(as wb said) was that batman would have everything-all the stuff but then before the release be like ff but it wasnt. but i think that doing everything at all once right before release is a wiser choice iuf your not going to do what you said youd do like wb did.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:46 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186111

Here's more on the cost of the Marketing of this movie:

what happened was up until june 3rd, batmans promos had been amazing. tons og magazine and news and wesbite coverage. super bowl spots, spots with every tv finale ect, reports of endelss tie ins. it had dozens of movie posters and all kinds of billboards and numerous toy lines. it all pointed ot be it being the most markted film in some time. but the one thing w.b. failed at was the most important aspect- tv spots. adn they failed BIG TIME. I stared 2-3 threads about the same thing: when are tv spoyts going to really "kick in" and be everywhere? well, the never did. they, but their quick and simple. i think batmans ****ing dvd marketing ill be better its theater marketing was(tv spot-wise). another good point lightningstrikez made inthe ff forum-batmans domestic budget for markeitn was probably roughly 60 million, while ff's is 50. the difference was that while ff's is lower, it seems like theres more because they did NOTHING up until a month ago-no tv spot with super bowl, no finale spots. they saved it all for the few weeks leading up to it. batman had 2 trailed before ff had one. batman had 4 posters until ff had 1. the plan(as wb said) was that batman would have everything-all the stuff but then before the release be like ff but it wasnt. but i think that doing everything at all once right before release is a wiser choice iuf your not going to do what you said youd do like wb did.

It says probably 60? I still dont see 80 like you told us.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:31 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Bombs dont usually help the Box Office.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:09 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

BKB, face it, Batman Begins is a much bigger hit than Hulk. It will finish with roughly $200 million in the USA (Hulk did $132 million) and around $360 million worldwide (Hulk did $245 million).

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

and BB will cross 200m :twisted:

and WOTW will make 300m :twisted:

:nutso:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next