Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Toy Story 3 predictions 
Extraordinary

Post Toy Story 3 predictions
From Variety:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797 ... id=13&cs=1

Quote:
'Toy Story' gets 3-D makeover
Disney to re-release Pixar franchise
By MARC GRASERThe Mouse House is giving Pixar's "Toy Story" franchise the 3-D treatment.
Studio will re-release "Toy Story" in 3-D on Oct. 2, 2009., while its sequel will bow in the format on Feb. 12, 2010.

The two pics will lead up to the newest entry "Toy Story 3," which is set for June 18, 2010, and will also be shown in 3-D. Lee Unkrich (co-director of "Toy Story 2") is helming.

Move is part of the Mouse's aggressive plans to release more of its animated pics in the 3-D format. "The Nightmare Before Christmas," "Chicken Little," "Meet the Robinsons" were given the 3-D treatment, while its upcoming "Alice in Wonderland" and "Frankenweenie," both from Tim Burton, will be shown in the format.
Studio said John Lasseter, who directed the first two "Toy Story" pics, and serves as chief creative officer for Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, will oversee the creative side of the 3-D conversions for "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2."

How much do you think the 3-D versions will make?

Last edited by mark66 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Post Re: Toy Story 1 & 2 & 3 predictions
Could Disney be anymore money-grubbing? They always re-release their films or make them available for a limited time. It's rather disgusting and people need to stop allowing them to do it by seeing/buying the films.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:06 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

3D is really exploding hey. This is good news for re-releases of other films like LOTR.

TS1 maybe $50m and TS2 say $35m - I guess it depends how long they play for and the competition. It will atleast get TS1 over $200m and edge TS2 towards 300m.

Though its a good way of raising awareness for TS3 - the re-releases may also hurt it seeing that it takes away from the novelty of seeing a TS/Pixar film in 3D. So i guess they will call it TS3D.

TS3 should make somewere between $320-$370m.

Monsters Vs Aliens, Ice Age 3 and Avatar will all beat it to theatres but there should be more 3D screens by the time it comes out.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:06 pm
He didn't look busy?!

TS1 - 15/60
TS2 - 20/70
TS3 - 90/320 (lots of competition)

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Joe wrote:
Could Disney be anymore money-grubbing? They always re-release their films or make them available for a limited time. It's rather disgusting and people need to stop allowing them to do it by seeing/buying the films.

The thing is though, they only re-release the best films in their catalog theatrically. Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King both deserved the re-releases they received, since both were (I believe) celebrating their tenth anniversary at the time - and both included new footage. Not to mention they are both historically significant films (BatB is on the National Film Registry, and rightfully so). Toy Story is a franchise that has done nothing but great things for them and audiences/critics love it (the first is also on the NFR). I don't see the problem with re-releasing it, especially when such a long period of time has passed. It's not as if they're releasing Chicken Little every year or something.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:13 pm
Profile YIM
Don't Dream It, Be It

Magnus wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

What competition? Summer 2010 releases are Shrek and Narnia that open in May, two movies that may not even break 250m.

Film is breaking 100m OW and a 4.0 multiplier. 400m-500m total.

Potter 7 could open in July. And will probably have a ROTK type hype thing going for it. Though they'd be at least 3 weeks apart. So I dont think Potter 7 would hurt it THAT bad, some, but not too bad.

Who knows about TS1 and TS2, probably anyone's guess right now. And TS3 should be the first Pixar film since Nemo (and only their second) to get over 300. I'll say something like 100/340.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And Disney is leading the way with 3D it seems. They have loads of films that are somehow related to a 3D release.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I'd bet on a July release for HP7. It's shot at biggest OD is almost zero if it opens in NOV because it won't have the midnights to push it there. HP4 and HP5 are perfect examples. HP4 did around 6M from midnights, HP5 did 12M. HP6's midnights will probably be around 8/9 (and should come near 50M. 46/47 if it follows the POA-GOF-OOTP pattern), so summer is the best place to take advantage of the midnights and bigger OD obviously. HP7 shouldn't have much trouble having midnights around ROTS (if not more). So if HP7 had 17M from midnights, and a FRI around 40, it could challenge the OD record, assuming nothing beats SM3's by then. I think HP5's massive success with it's July release, despite Transformers (only the second Potter to cross 900M WW, and the second biggest DOM) and having a chance at the OD record is too much to pass up for a studio.

But yeah, just as long as they are like 2 weeks apart, TS3 should be just fine.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Competition is not the issue. Even in a crowded mega summer like 2007 - films co-existed well enough (ie. Rat/DH4/Transformers/Potter).

TS3 will be big - but CGI animated films are not the lightening in a bottle they once were and it cant even claim to be the first major 3D animated film. So $350m would be pushing things. $370m max. $330-$340m most likely.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:34 am
Another You

TS3 - 125m/375m

And I aLways thought a Nov. reLease wouLd be better for HP7; a good mixture of great opening and better-than-a-summer reLease Legs.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
(yes, I just said 400m lock)

That's fanboy talk. No movie is a lock for 400m.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:44 am
He didn't look busy?!

Magnus wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

What competition? Summer 2010 releases are Shrek and Narnia that open in May, two movies that may not even break 250m.

Film is breaking 100m OW and a 4.0 multiplier. 400m-500m total.
if I'm not mistaken, HP7, SM4, Shrek4, POTC4, and probably something else are all currently slated for summer. Toy Story is part of a franchise that hasn't had a film gross $300m+, something all of those franchises have. $400-500m total for sure? Helllls no.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Magnus - is Toy Story that loved by all demos and ages? Im not so sure. Its big yes and it has the distinction of being the 1st and 3rd CGI animated films ever but im not sure if thats enough these days.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:43 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

MadGez wrote:
Magnus - is Toy Story that loved by all demos and ages? Im not so sure. Its big yes and it has the distinction of being the 1st and 3rd CGI animated films ever but im not sure if thats enough these days.

yeah I dont think Toy Story is any more well loved than the other Pixar films. Toy Story at the time was pretty much the only 3D generated picture but we now see those a dime a dozen. The movie isnt exactly like Phantom Menace or the new Indiana Jones where people are very eagerly anticipating

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:09 pm

Thing is though, it has a regonizable name versus the other Pixar films, and that will help it tremendously.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:23 pm
why so serious?

I'm very eagerly ancitipating this movie, but then again, Toy Story was the movie of my childhood and I'm big on movies. Toy Story 3 will probably do pretty well, but I think $400 million is probably unlikely.

And seriously, the prospect of seeing the first two movies in 3-D is mind-blowing. I will do everything in my power to be there for those.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 pm
Extraordinary

Kudo's to Disney for a very creative release pattern. I think there is alot of potential for Toy Story 3 to pull a Shrek 2. While 11 years will have passed between films, Pixar is still quite popular, so the TS series will still be familiar with many.

I can see $400 m + happening, as the franchise would reach many generations. But it would be a big mistake to be too close to HP7, which should dominate the market place, and itself should do $350 m +. I think they should put TS3 in November or December, and try for an Oscar run...

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Pixar may have surpassed Toy Story with some of their other works but it still remains a milestone in cinema and, particular, for animation. I think it and Finding Nemo will remain their signature films for awhile.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:25 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I feel bad for badmouthing Rataouille early in the year. Spot in with the gross but wrong about the film which is now my favoruite of the year.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:45 am
Extraordinary

MadGez wrote:
I feel bad for badmouthing Rataouille early in the year. Spot in with the gross but wrong about the film which is now my favoruite of the year.

:D :hug:

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:52 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Just the fact that these will be in Digital 3D is enough to get me uber-excited! These movies were huge for me as a kid... I can even tell you the exact theaters I saw the movies at--Toy Story at the now-closed Blue Ridge theater off I-70 and Hwy 40; Toy Story 2 at the Edwards theater in Fresno, CA.

I cannot WAIT for this!

Joy

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:32 am
Profile WWW
The Awesome

i'm just as excited for this as anyone. like people have been saying, toy story IS my childhood and my favorite pixar film. toy story 3 has got nostalgia written all over it and people who first saw it will be 15 years older so the variety of people watching this will be crazy. i'm thinking around 100/350M right now, but i hope it's much higher.

"Cinematic Adventures."- Dane Cook

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Just to point out, TS2 increased over TS by 28%. That increase given again would equal a gross of 313m or so for TS3. But I agree on Magnus points of, this has 11 years of inflation rather than 4, and the 3D prices. Plus nostalgia. I call for 350m+ maybe 375m, but I'm not jumping at 400m yet.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:44 am
The Awesome

which movie do you guys think has a better chance to win the year, iron man 2 or toy story 3? i guess i'd say iron man 2 but by a little bit.

"Cinematic Adventures."- Dane Cook

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:51 pm
Star Trek XI

IM2 but I think Toy Story 3 will be better and will be very close

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next