Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Music Sales/Chart Thread (Billboard/Hits Daily Double) 
Future Love

Post Re: Music Sales/Chart Thread (Billboard/Hits Daily Double)
Quote:
West’s New Album Will Approach 500k, as Guns (300k), Ludacris (225k) and The Killers (200k) All Trail

November 26, 2008

Kanye’s the king of Thanksgiving week.
West's Roc-a-Fella/Def Jam album, 808s and Heartbreak, in which he tackles the Auto-Tuner and his own inner demons, will be #1 on next Tuesday’s chart with a total that looks to be between 450-500k.

That’ll be more than enough to beat back Axl Rose and his first Guns N’ Roses album in some 15 years, Chinese Democracy, which will move around 300k, more or less, out of Best Buy outlets. And that’s including the 25k or so not counted opening week at iTunes for the Sunday release.

Ludacris’ Island Def Jam album, Theater of the Mind, looks good for 225k, followed by the other one of IDJ’s big holiday power trio, The Killers’ Day and Age, clocking in with 200k more or less.

Finally, what would the turkey shoot be without Barry Manilow? The "Copacabana" guy scores 85k for his new Arista/RMG album, The Greatest Songs of the Eighties, thanks to huge QVC sales.

Coldplay’s Prospekt’s March EP on Capitol will chalk up between 75-80k, while Capitol Nashville’s Trace Adkins appears headed for the 40-45k area for his new album, X.

After some Monday confusion over release dates (all three major circulars advertised the IDJ albums coming on Tuesday), the numbers seem back to normal.

Meanwhile, the market was up 6% vs. last week, down 32% vs. same week last year and now down 14% year to date. Feels like a tryptophan hangover even before the turkey is served.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:45 pm
Cream of the Crop

That's downright embarrassing for Guns N' Roses. If these estimates hold, Chinese Democracy will be The Waterworld of music.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:44 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

In today's music business 300k debut is nothing to sneeze at.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:23 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

still, 15 years of album development should merit a blockbuster start, not just a boffo one.

Todays Music Scene 200-400k = very big,
400k=750k = massive
750k+ epic

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

The GNR album has been leaked for a year now I believe, it was sort of expected and I did mention that I dont see that album reaching what Metallica did the first week. Besides its core fans are now in their late 20s to late 30s, hardly the ones that buy albums

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:01 pm
Future Love

Actually those are the only folks still buying albums. The younger generations are into singles.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:05 pm
Cream of the Crop

be.redy wrote:
In today's music business 300k debut is nothing to sneeze at.

But you have to look at the bigger picture. That album took 15 years, cost $13m (as of 2006), was promoted as the "most anticipated album ever", and was regarded as the comeback of one of the biggest acts of all-time, so I certainly expected a bigger opening. I knew they wouldn't beat Kanye (and while we're at it, didn't his last record sell 900k in the first week or something, 500k isn't that great for him either), but I expected at least 600k+. Heck, AC/DC, who were never gone, and basically released the same album they've been releasing since the 70's, have just sold 800k+ a couple of months ago.

The press will have a field day with this.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Sam's Town was coming after Hot Fuss which was massive. Day & Age is coming after Sam's Town which was a complete dissapointment IMO. And Human wasn't all that hot of a single. Personally I think that 200k is really good for Day & Age.

As far as GnR goes - no matter how pumped the release was has anyone really bought into the hype? Chinese Democracy was laughed at year by year for various reasons and when the leaks came it was laughed at how bad they were...

Michael, years in the making do not merit a blockbuster start. Where did that idea come from?

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

be.redy wrote:
As far as GnR goes - no matter how pumped the release was has anyone really bought into the hype? Chinese Democracy was laughed at year by year for various reasons and when the leaks came it was laughed at how bad they were...

No.

Rolling Stone

Quote:
If it’s just another batch of demos, then they’re perhaps the most well-produced and complete demos in the history of the industry. And damn, they’re really pretty good.

AntiQuiet

Quote:
We’ve Got Chinese Democracy, And It’s Worth The Wait.

BTW, those are just the top 2 results when I googled "Chinese Democracy 9 track leak".

And a couple of posts above you were saying that 300k was a good number, so, yeah, some people did buy into the hype, just not enough :(

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Not bad for Day and Age but could be a bit better.

Its just behind GnR here in Oz but well ahead of Kanye West. In the UK it topped those albums.

I always thought Sam's Town was well received but ah well.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:10 am
The Wall

asalem182 wrote:
be.redy wrote:

No.

Rolling Stone

Quote:
If it’s just another batch of demos, then they’re perhaps the most well-produced and complete demos in the history of the industry. And damn, they’re really pretty good.

AntiQuiet

Quote:
We’ve Got Chinese Democracy, And It’s Worth The Wait.

BTW, those are just the top 2 results when I googled "Chinese Democracy 9 track leak".

And a couple of posts above you were saying that 300k was a good number, so, yeah, some people did buy into the hype, just not enough :(

Most of the comments from people I've heard and read were negative.

Oh, I can Google too.

http://stereogum.com/archives/chinese-d ... 10529.html
Quote:
It wasn't just an urban legend -- Axl really was working on something (but "overworking something" is more accurate). It's good to hear Rose's signature yowl, but the attempt at compositional and "modern" eclecticism via added electronics and the like sink it.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog= ... &tb=1&pb=1
Quote:
For the most part they sound as you'd expect songs a decade and a half in the making to sound: fussy, over-produced, painfully tentative. You can almost hear the panic in Axl's voice: "Is this any good? Have I still got it? Can I release this? Should I just hit 'delete' and start the whole thing again?"

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... cracy.aspx
Quote:
In general, the album feels like an unfocused patchwork of anachronistic musical styles. With all the hype and expectation built up over 14 years, it was not unreasonable to expect a masterpiece, and while there are certainly some moments on this alleged record that stand up to some of Axl's earlier output, the result is primarily a collection of incoherent false starts.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So I'm not maintaining this thread/don't really have time for it anymore. Does someone want to take over? Or we could just go to getluv's system?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:21 pm
The Wall

Why aren't we having weekly charts anymore?

I was shocked to find out that BEP's craptastic Boom Boom Pow is in its 7th week at #1.

Fri May 22, 2009 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah have no idea why these sales threads have died in the ass.

Eminem's album Relapse has had the biggest opening sales of the year so far...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8071848.stm

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu May 28, 2009 9:09 pm
College Boy Z

I actually have doubts that Rebirth will top 600k. I don't think people are diggin' the "rock" Lil' Wayne ("Prom Queen" and "Hot Revolver" didn't do that great in the charts). It'll sell because it's Lil' Wayne, but not that much. I think 500k.

Unless his next single is awesome. And since the album isn't truly a rock album (there's some regular songs on there, I hear), he needs to drop a banger.

Fri May 29, 2009 5:04 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Boom Boom Pow is a fucking terrible song.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:26 am
Profile WWW
MICHAEL #1 AGAIN!!!!!

Tim

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:19 pm
Future Love

Michael is expected to sell in excess of 300k copies of "Number Ones" this week, as well as over another 250k of the remainder of his catalogue. He could very well sell over 600k total this week.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:25 pm
College Boy T

I bought "The Essential" the other day. I didn't think it was possible to find one in stores.

Everyone should ban that Number Ones shit, though. It only has 3 (?) singles from Thriller, and has like 2038202 from Bad. It should be the other way around.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:41 pm
The Wall

I prefer Bad much more than Thriller. Thriller's overrated.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Future Love

torrino wrote:
I bought "The Essential" the other day. I didn't think it was possible to find one in stores.

Everyone should ban that Number Ones shit, though. It only has 3 (?) singles from Thriller, and has like 2038202 from Bad. It should be the other way around.

Yeah, it's unfortunate there weren't more #1's off Thriller. Bad rode the success of Thriller to most its #1 singles. Due to the #1's theme of the disc they had to follow the discs strict "#1 in the UK or USA" policy.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:56 pm
College Boy T

harry713 wrote:
torrino wrote:

Yeah, it's unfortunate there weren't more #1's off Thriller. Bad rode the success of Thriller to most its #1 singles. Due to the #1's theme of the disc they had to follow the discs strict "#1 in the UK or USA" policy.

Though if I recall...some of the "Thriller" singles didn't even go #1, nor the Invincible singles (lol...Invincible :funny: )

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 pm
Future Love

torrino wrote:
harry713 wrote:
torrino wrote:

Though if I recall...some of the "Thriller" singles didn't even go #1, nor the Invincible singles (lol...Invincible :funny: )

Even in the UK? I thought that was their excuse for including certain singles that are more obscure to Americans?

PS... I actually like a few tracks from Invincible, like Butterflies. :oops:

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:14 pm
Sbil

Apparently his catalog of solo albums will have sold 800,000 copies altogether for the week. Wow.

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:54 pm
Cream of the Crop

After counting 54.02% of this week's sales, Michael Jackson's catalog has already sold 600k copies.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next