Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Where does this purging of "offensive" material end? 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Where does this purging of "offensive" material end?
Mister Ecks wrote:
I really don't think editing or removing these episodes is doing anything. I would fully support adding a warning ahead of an episode that features something deemed offensive, like the old Looney Tunes cartoons did when released on DVD. Erasing stuff entirely is not something I think works. It fixes nothing.

Yeah, just add a warning text: "This movie/episode might be considered offensive towards...", etc. I don't think anyone cares if there is a warning. That's not censorship. Everyone should be happy.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Big tech censorship is a big story right now as well. Reddit just purged 2,000 subs including the abandoned the_donald (they created their own site a while ago), gendercritical, Chapo Trap House, and Twitter has been slowly purging right wing accounts leading some of them to join Parler. I look for JK Rowling to get banned soon, they're afraid to ban Trump since if they send him to Parler it would be a game changer for their market share.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:04 pm
Cream of the Crop

Thegun wrote:
The future of Demolition Man is ironically looking more and more a reality

Including the 3 shells, after toilet paper ran out earlier this year.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Someone said something on Twitter that I tend to agree with. No "cancel culture" or "woke mob" has cried over these TV shows or movies, it's big corporations and companies that are either terrified of getting raked over the coals by supposed "woke mobs" or they're just scapegoating "woke mobs" in general. I honestly don't see anyone upset about It's Always Sunny, it's basically everyone saying cancel culture is going too far and everyone is too soft. I wouldn't be surprised if, in general, people are trying to build up "woke mobs" as this big, unstoppable monster that is offended by everything so that their credibility is forever compromised by everyone else.

Blackface that has been used by characters that are either reprehensible (always the case on It's Always Sunny) or in situations that show why blackface is wrong should be OK. If a show used it in a way where a character just uses blackface as a costume (I'm assuming the case with Scrubs), maybe that needs a warning. I just think this is different from a world leader like Trudeau or some white celebrity thinking he or she is OK to dress up on Halloween as a black figure.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

This might be what happens when a lot of people grow up atheists but the psychological reasons religion became so powerful for thousands of years (fear of ex-communication, the need to purify yourself from sin, people who feel inherently broken needing to dedicate themselves to it, attacking people who they don’t put the spotlight on you, etc.) are still there. Modern day christianity doesn’t require those traits as much as it used to either, so even for some of them they can still have that hole filled by the outrage mob.

I suspect most Karens if they were born a hundred years ago would be bible thumpers getting mad in public at women who dress indecent or whatever. They have always existed it’s just they’re following an updated rulebook now.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am
Veteran

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
i.hope wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
This is the main reason why liberals never get anything done. What happened to fighting the legacy of the confederacy?

These non-mainstream views held by some "liberals" are being amplified by powerful groups/people opposing change to muddy the waters. It is meant to obfuscate the real underlying issues: policing and racial disparity.

Hopefully the majority of the people know better to keep their eyes on the prize and ignore the noise.
Yes, this makes sense. I was just thinking that nonsense like this undermines BLM more than anything conservatives say.

Wait, conservatives want to undermine BLM?

I was blind, but now I see.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:46 am
Devil's Advocate

Mount Rushmore in danger? I think that would be a tipping point for a lot of people.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:34 pm
On autopilot for the summer

lol, we can't even change the name of the Washington Redskins. Tearing down the Statue of Liberty would be easier.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Mount Rushmore in danger? I think that would be a tipping point for a lot of people.
They should just put Obama on it now then. Shows the history of America, how far we’ve come, yet how much work needs to be done.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:08 pm
Devil's Advocate

I wonder how close Hamilton is to getting cancelled. I finally watched the D+ person and loved it, but it’s runs contradictory to the Great Awokening for the most part. It’s pro-founding fathers, and race isn’t really a big subject in it, if anything having black actors play white characters put it in the race-blind camp if anything. I thought it was more a story about Hamilton, Burr, etc. personal journeys and flaws than the larger political or race context, which is refreshing in an era where everyone is politicized with a left vs right, group vs group perspective.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:57 pm
Veteran

The woke/cancel culture is highly annoying and at times, infuriating. I especially feel alienated because Hollywood’s virtue signaling are increasingly hostile to my conservative views but it is what it is. *shrug*

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

lilmac wrote:
The woke/cancel culture is highly annoying and at times, infuriating. I especially feel alienated because Hollywood’s virtue signaling are increasingly hostile to my conservative views but it is what it is. *shrug*

I respect Terry Crews bravery since he's a lot less bulletproof from getting cancelled than someone like Rowling.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:23 am
Devil's Advocate

Can't wait for South Park's next season. They need to go 100% HAM. This is their moment.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:56 pm
https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice ... en-debate/

Hey look, an expression worth reading ;)

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:39 am
The Kramer

New development: now a few black athletes are posting pro-Hitler quotes on their social media and nobody knows what to do about it. Do we cancel them? Or is that racist too?

Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

DeSean got less backlash for posting a quote with “Hitler said” and “Hitler was right” it than Drew Brees did for claiming he doesn’t agree with kneeling during the anthem. Strange times.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:00 pm
The Kramer

Racist Whites: Jews will not replace us with blacks
Racist Blacks: Jews will not replace us with whites

Is this how Kanye 2024 comes together? A common enemy?

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm
Here's the entire text of DeSean Jackson's Hitler quote (which isn't technically a Hitler quote, really, but who knows if he was aware of that):

Hitler said, "because the white Jews knows that the Negroes are the real Children of Israel and to keep Americas secret the Jews will blackmail America. The will extort America, their plan for world domination won't work if the Negroes know who they were. The white citizens of America will be terrified to know that all this time they've mistreating and discriminating and lynching the Children of Israel. They will fear God will destroy them as the destroyed Egypt for doing the same thing. So the Elite, the Illuminati keeps this a secret at all cost. After I die I will one day cause World War 3 just by this message which will be like planting a seed in people minds until it sprouts once they nurture that seed and seek more truth and learn Hitler was right.

Now, I think it's clear where I land on "cancel culture" (it's awful) and I don't think he should be "cancelled," either. It should still be reported that he did, in fact, tweet this nonsense and there is no excuse of "oh, I didn't know! Hitler did whaaa??!?!?" This isn't even on the same level as an asshole calling someone a racial slur (which is of course also bad, duh) as this is very specifically targeting an entire group of people on an ideological scale--Hitler was right, Jews are behind the evils of the world, we must rise up against them! A more apt comparison instead of the Riley Cooper thing (white player who called black guy racial slur) would be if Cooper tweeted a bunch of David Duke KKK garbage about all black people being in some secret cabal against the rest of us. That certainly wouldn't go down well and I can't imagine there'd be as much thought put into what he meant as I see re: Jackson.

To me, for things like this where a celebrity/athlete/politician/etc says something "offensive" I don't think a lame apology statement is worth a damn. Have a press conference with people from several publications (so it isn't some echo-chamber of pre-prepared questions) where the "offender" issues whatever statement they want followed by a Q&A on the topic. It should be a painful, awkward situation. Then at the end of it, provided the "offender" hasn't doubled down on the "offense," people can all move on. Then should it happen again, well you cross that bridge when you come to it.

https://www.israelhayom.com/2020/06/12/ ... -ice-cube/

Ice Cube also feels this is an important issue close to his heart (those shifty Jews), for some reason...

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:48 pm
Devil's Advocate

Malcolm wrote:
Ice Cube also feels this is an important issue close to his heart (those shifty Jews), for some reason...

Diddy is also posting Louis Farrakhan clips without having to fear the cancel mob coming for him

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:52 pm
The Kramer

Nick Cannon getting in on the anti-Semitic action as he prepares to become the Soldier Who Was Just Following Orders next year on the Masked Singer.

Also, not totally related, but Trump told his 20,000th lie as president today! Celebrate good times come on. :sorcerer: :sorcerer:

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am
The Kramer

Isn’t Farrakhan the guy who had Malcom X killed?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

Cannon is insanely racist. This is no better than David Duke or something.

He did get fired from CBS but for the anti-semitism only.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:14 pm
The Kramer

He’s gonna lose The Masked Singer too. Then Nick Cannon will have nothing left since his only talent was being safe and charming.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:32 pm
Hold the door!

His only talent was being married to Mariah Carey

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ne/614095/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... od-1303210

Thankfully I'm seeing some "Hey, what's with the Jew hate?" articles appear a bit more and this Nick Cannon situation will hopefully shed a light on this weird tangent some people will *always* take for some reason.

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next