Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Guns. 

The right to bear arms--including assault rifles and handguns--for personal protection.
For 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Against 85%  85%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 26

Guns. 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Guns.
Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
He worked for the organization that was having the party. I still suspect he had some beef with them. He either did it because he was mad at them or he is a lone wolf. I am sure he planned it but this isn't isis or anything. The target isn't big enough, I mean it is a holiday party and they didn't even try to go after another target.

I am sure that is it, professor. I doubt it is ISIS but he may be sympathetic. He randomly had bombs and tactical gear and had no intent to use them until some holiday party set him and his wife (?) off.

I said he planned it. The Boston Bombers were lone wolfs too and were similar to this guy. ISIS hasn't claimed any responsibility which is a big sign this isn't connected to him. Either he hated someone at work or his job and planned to do this a while back or he has some sympathies to terrorism. He isn't part of a cell or anything.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Caius wrote:
DP07 wrote:
There hasn't been an organized jihadi attack in North America since Boston if I remember correctly. The timing after Paris would seem a strange coincidence.

What about the shooting at the military facilities in Tennessee over the summer? Was it not "organized"?

It was one individual who decided "life is bitter and short, one shouldn't let the opportunity to submit to allah pass them by (or something like that)". It had a lot in common with many mass shootings except the shooter sympathized with jihadism.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:10 pm
Profile ICQ
College Boy T

Enough is enough.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:13 pm
Homo Dperious

Caius wrote:
Algren wrote:

The point I was making is that the US constitution is outdated. The right to bear arms and all of that shit is not needed these days. Hasn't been needed for 100 years or more.

Why was it needed 100 years ago and not today?

The Constitution has an Amendment process (same way the Second Amendment was added...). If people really want it removed, our elected officials and states should use the Amendment process and remove it. Note that for all the whining, nobody ever proposes that or tries to do jack besides stupid hashtags memes.

Because the amendment process always knows better than hashtag memes?

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Chippy wrote:
The right to bear arms is idiotic. It was created because we didn't have a powerful military and the british were being assholes.

We now have a powerful military. We don't need civilians to be a "well regulated militia" that the right refuses to regulate.

200 years ago the american militias were more powerful than the army? The army wasn't able to defeat invaders?

BTW, the british didn't think they were being assholes.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:21 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:
The point I was making is that the US constitution is outdated. The right to bear arms and all of that shit is not needed these days. Hasn't been needed for 100 years or more.

Actually it's evidence that gun control laws are out of date. Now a well regulated militia requires artillery, tanks, fighter jets and missiles, all of which should therefore be for sale on the open market. ;)

Last edited by DP07 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:17 pm
Profile ICQ
KJ's Leading Pundit

jesus christ

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:18 pm
Homo Dperious

Maybe they need him too.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:20 pm
Profile ICQ
now we know

Caius wrote:
Algren wrote:

The Constitution has an Amendment process (same way the Second Amendment was added...). If people really want it removed, our elected officials and states should use the Amendment process and remove it. Note that for all the whining, nobody ever proposes that or tries to do jack besides stupid hashtags memes.

Maybe because most of America is run by moronic Republicans and people know that it's more hassle than it's worth to ever get anything like an Amendment passed. I don't know really. I also don't care.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Watch this whole video if you want, because it's on this topic. But I thought the graph at 7:20 was interesting. The US has a higher death rate in assaults without firearms than other developed countries. That's even though some gun deaths might otherwise be attacks by other means if guns were more difficult to get. So, the rates in the US are not due simply to gun control.

Last edited by DP07 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:02 pm
Profile ICQ
A very honest-hearted fellow

Chippy wrote:
"why were records needed 30 years ago and not now"

"why was myspace needed 10 years ago and not now"

Great analogy. It shook me to the core with its profundity and relevance. You have convinced me.

I guess that means if you were convicted of a crime and served time in jail and were released, that the "time passage theory of law" would mean upon release you could be convicted again and sent back to jail for the same crime.

If that oaf Donald Trump becomes President, he can evict all immigrants, ban Obamacare, require gun ownership, ban minority votes and whatever because all those laws were "so two years ago" and the meaning has changed.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:28 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Algren wrote:
Maybe because most of America is run by moronic Republicans and people know that it's more hassle than it's worth to ever get anything like an Amendment passed. I don't know really. I also don't care.

If the U.S. is run by an elected bunch of Republicans, is that evidence that people want more restrictive gun control laws?

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:32 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Nope.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Amazing how some are so convinced that Syrian refugee's pose a massive threat to the safety of Americans yet, when it comes to guns...

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:50 am
Homo Dperious

Blasting a hole through "moral outrage". You can't really argue with this.

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/6 ... 9528116224

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
Yeah, but i.hope, you forgot that IT'S AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION!!!!! This is still important to dumb Americans for some reason.

There are ways to get around that. Regulate gun manufacturing (through licensing). Require gun safety measures (e.g. training for specific weapons). Make it hard to transfer guns.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:16 am
Defeats all expectations

DP07 wrote:
Watch this whole video if you want, because it's on this topic. But I thought the graph at 7:20 was interesting. The US has a higher death rate in assaults without firearms than other developed countries. That's even though some gun deaths might otherwise be attacks by other means if guns were more difficult to get. So, the rates in the US are not due simply to gun control.

Because there is a prevalent "gun culture" in the US? Some people want a "quick fix" through the escalation of force.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:50 am
Forum General

Personally, I don't like guns. I think the country would be better off eliminating all guns outside of law enforcement (with strict accountability for use) and military. That would eventually significantly reduce the number of mass killings we've seen lately. Mentally unstable and evil people are still going to find a way to hurt people, but why make it easy on them? If they have to make a bomb or use a knife, it will be much more difficult to do and less will do it.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

DP07 wrote:

The reason the US has so many shootings is they have two things more than any first world country. One is guns and the other is mental illness. The US is the equivalent of a country by far leading the world in drunk driving deaths and the liberal media pushing a "Why tf does everyone have 3 cars if they drive drunk all the time? Ban cars!" platform. Maybe in a country where half of them are alcoholics taking away their cars is the right idea. But figuring out why everyone is getting drunk is a problem too, because in this country the drunk problem is leading to tons of other deaths by people getting picked off by alcohol poisoning, falling off buildings, getting stabbed in fights, etc. or just ruining lives by making them stuck in a bar all day, at a higher rate many times over than drunk driving deaths. Likewise mental illness kills far more lives outside of mass shootings than in them. Enacting gun control helps the tiny fraction of kids who die in mass shootings. Want to make a bigger difference, give me education reform. So many hours that could spent trying to get kids to develop healthy emotional lives, understand money, respect women, etc. and instead it's decided making sure they know names and dates in the American Revolution and Civil War or know basic algebra, information that will have 0 impact on their lives for 99% of people, is more important. Instead of restricting how hard it is to get a guns, how about we make sure parents pass a 10 hour course and pass a test before they give birth telling them concepts many parents have never seriously considered like shame and guilt being a weapon and the positive power of compassion.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 pm
Forum General

This is the basic problem in this country. You acknowledged that stricter gun control would help a little, but the bigger issue is mental illness. Then said "instead" of gun control, focus on mental illness and education. But not all of the gun problems are caused by mentally ill people and people who lack training. So I say do all three. It's always pick a side instead of solve the problem. Solve all three of those problems and we won't have to worry about it. It's an impulse to pick one or the other because that's how we've been conditioned in this country. Democrat or Republican, pick a side. That isn't working because nobody is solving the problems, they're just fighting.

It seems to be too much to ask to want people to work together. That's a sad thing.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

i.hope wrote:
DP07 wrote:

Because there is a prevalent "gun culture" in the US? Some people want a "quick fix" through the escalation of force.

If that's the case, than guns are a product of something more deeply embedded in the culture. Still, I question your idea since video games have not been shown to make people violent. Also: http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddessig/2014/06/28/the-myth-of-mental-illness-and-gun-violence/. But there are all sorts of variables that would relate to and predict the trends in the US, such as religiosity and income inequality.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:51 pm
Profile ICQ
KJ's Leading Pundit

The President just delivered a great speech about his Executive Orders he's about to enact.

Gonna miss this guy.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 pm
Hold the door!

I'm no longer against handguns.

If someone were to break into my home, I'd certainly want a handgun, not a hunting rifle. I know that's unlikely but it does happen, and I certainly wouldn't want to be unarmed.

I think that reasonable gun restriction would be a criminal background check. I don't think we need much more than that considering they should only be used in emergencies.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 pm
now we know

A criminal background check might work for the masses, but how about for a prostitute? Someone that has been in a desperate position in their life isn't allowed to protect themselves afterwards?

All guns should be illegal. Period. I just see no way how the police/authorities can protect its citizens when the citizens have the same tools.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
A criminal background check might work for the masses, but how about for a prostitute? Someone that has been in a desperate position in their life isn't allowed to protect themselves afterwards?

All guns should be illegal. Period. I just see no way how the police/authorities can protect its citizens when the citizens have the same tools.

And how do you suppose we get rid of all guns?

Otherwise I'd agree with you.

There's nothing wrong with restricting guns to lawful citizens, but I do t see how taking guns away from law abiding citizens helps anything.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next