Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Food. 
Sbil

Post Re: Food.
torrino wrote:
heh. 'raw'. libs.

i don't understand country beyond dolly parton, emmylou harris, dixie chicks, and, uh, a few shania twain songs

I follow everything country. I have every song in the top 15 on the country charts on iTunes right now (except one).

You should look up Zac Brown Band. They're my favorite country group and they just put out a new album!

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:52 pm
College Boy T

you don't seem to know me very well

i am not going to take your zac brown band recommendation lol

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:55 pm
Sbil

torrino wrote:
you don't seem to know me very well

i am not going to take your zac brown band recommendation lol

Your loss!

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:58 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

This thread had so much potential. Oh well.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 am
Wall-E

One word.

In-N-Out Double-Double Burgers.

But...the very Best Burger that I've ever had was the Mr. Big Double Cheese Burger in Burbank, Ca. on San Fernando Rd. pre-'94,. Served medium char-broil on a triple grade A double-decker bun, with two thin clean sirloin blend patties, two slices of real solid Deluxe American Cheese, a fresh and flavorful Russian Dressing, a slice of Beefsteak Tomato and a slice of fresh Bermuda Onion on green leafy lettuce. Was there a dill pickle slice? Yes, I think there were two. It was pure savage ecstasy and I was Glad to Lick My Fingers and My Own Face afterwards to catch every last drop of it.

This was before the management sold the place to a slug who didn't know what the hell he was doing.
From the very best to the very worst burger after '94.

Friends, if you can trace that previous pre-'94 owner to a current location, I will gladly sell you my soul. :sweat:

And there is also a little privately-owned shop in Ford City, Pa.
Miller's Hoagies 838 4th Ave, Ford City, PA 16226 that was The Best Hoagie/Submarine Sandwich that I have ever had, though I haven't been back to visit in over ten years and I have read on the Net that the quality has gone downhill.

For God's Sakes, I hope not.

EDIT: Well, shoot. Miller's Hoagies location is currently in doubt, so if you are planning to try them, you might want to try calling them first and asking them if they are there, and you might need to call Information first.
You want their Standard Classic Hoagie, unless they have gone downhill.
(724) 763-1711

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:44 am
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Five Guys > In 'N Out

For that matter, Fuddruckers > Counter

Fav LA burger is Rustic Canyon, A Frame, Hole in the Wall, or Fathers Office. So many fucking delicious burgers in this town.

In DC, uh...probably The Source or Central. But it's been long enough that I don't know if both offer them still. I actually really like BGR or whatever that place in Bethesda and Dupont is called.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 am
You must have big rats

I ate at Five Guys in Montreal. Sooooo good.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Five Guys is still amazing. I eat there so rarely though.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:53 am
Pure Phase

Five Guys is great.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Only people that are INSANE like Five Guys over In N' Out.

It's no contest. In N' Out is FAR superior.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:26 am
College Boy T

When did you go to Source? I went a few months after it opened for lunch. I'm not a huge Puck fan but the burger was excellent. From what I remember, it was pretty basic but with kobe. No fried egg or truffle cheese.

Puck's LA restaurants are supremely overrated. I'll take Maestro's over Cut, and have zero desire to revisit Spago or Chinois.

Michel Richard is teh shit. I was disappointed that his Tysons project didn't work out.

Also: did you know Jose Andres is like the fucking 'it' chef right now?? He has a huge theme restaurant called Bazaar in LA ...now in Miami too. And there's both a Jaleo and Minibar concept in Vegas (for that matter, there's also a central in Vegas). Bazaar is pretty good. I've been there twice. Sick of people talking about molecular gastronomy.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm
Sbil

I went to Shake Shack in Dupont. It was OK I guess, I didn't feel it was worthy of the hype. Still a Five Guys loyalist here. BGR is good too, though. Haven't tried Elevation Burger yet.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:30 pm
Sbil

Have you had the lobster food truck, Magnus

I had it for the second time last week. I would stalk that thing like it was my job if it didn't cost $20 every time.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:40 pm
College Boy T

Citronelle is even better than Central. I'm so enamored with those two restaurants, though, that I'm probably not an objective voice when it comes to comparing Richard vis-a-vis other chefs.

Haven't tried Andres' food truck. Andres is prob. my second favorite chef after Richard (then, probably Colicchio or Keller, like everyone else on the planet) but I've been on anti-Andres bent recently. Was gonna go to Zaytinya last week when I was in town, but quickly persuaded my peeps against it. Also didn't know the food truck existed!

RE: In 'N Out vs. Five Guys (vs, I guess, Shake Shack). This is one of those arguments, like abortion (yes, I'm going there), where everyone has a steadfast view that it's counter-intuitive to debate. I mean, I think people who are 'pro-life' are absolutely crazy, but I understand why they're...misguided..

My preference: Five Guys for the burger, because it's a 'real' burger, not a 'fast food' burger. In 'N Out is delicious (and CHEAP), but it's so samey from place to place, and you can't do much to the burger, even after abusing the 'secret' menu. I always go for a double-double animal style but without the sauce (so, effectively, mustard fried) with tomato, lettuce, onion, extra mustard, and chilis. Five Guys has better fries (and that's an understatement. In 'N Out has awful fries), but they're not amazing (uh, Amsterdam Falafelshop lol). I actually order fries at In 'N Out more often if only because eating Five Guys fries will do me in the rest of the day. Haven't been to Shake Shack.

We need a ::jizz:: emoticon.

Last edited by torrino on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm
Pure Phase

What do you all think of Così?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm
Sbil

Magnus wrote:
Libs wrote:
Have you had the lobster food truck, Magnus

I had it for the second time last week. I would stalk that thing like it was my job if it didn't cost $20 every time.

It comes in front my office once a week (I work at Farragut North). I've only had it three times though. It's not worth it (but I'm also not a huge lobster fan to begin with).

In terms of DC food trucks, I have the following rankings:

1. Pepe (Jose Andres. $14 average for sandwich that probably doesnt fill you up completely. But its a five-star sandwich so its worth it)
2. Fojol Brothers Benethopia (Ethopian. best deal as its only $8 for a fairly large quantity of food)
3. Hula Girl (Hawaiian. Only Hawaiian food I've ever had but its the best. $10 though is a bit pricy)
4. DC Slices (the pizza is okay but the tater tots are awesome)
5. BBQ Bus (its a bit inconsistent, but when they cook it rights, its one of the best BBQ in the city)

Weirdddd a girlfriend of mine works in Farragut North and I come have lunch with her when I'm in the city a lot, where do you work?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm
Pure Phase

A few of you might find this list amusing/interesting: http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2012/ ... /mcfaddens

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:18 pm
College Boy T

David wrote:

Did you seriously just bump my long-ass post to ask what we thought of Cosi?

It's...a sandwich shop. I don't think much of it. But since you asked: Le Pain Quotidien, Cosi or Potbelly's (toss-up), Panera, Corner Bakery...in that order.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:19 pm
Sbil

David wrote:
A few of you might find this list amusing/interesting: http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2012/ ... /mcfaddens

Accurate list is accurate. I was at McFadden's a few weeks ago. Terrible.

Cosi is OK. I prefer Panera and ABP.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:19 pm
Pure Phase

torrino wrote:
David wrote:

Did you seriously just bump my long-ass post to ask what we thought of Cosi?

It's...a sandwich shop. I don't think much of it. But since you asked: Le Pain Quotidien, Cosi or Potbelly's (toss-up), Panera, Corner Bakery...in that order.

I didn't mean to bump your Tolstoy novel. ;) The math just wasn't in your favor.

Potbelly's by far.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 pm
Sbil

Magnus wrote:
as to Libs, I worked around the Farrgaut area based on client location but my main office is on 18th and K.

Oh, she works on 17th and L. See you by the food trucks! *twilightzonemusic*

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:25 pm
Pure Phase

I bet Libs' friend is in line by 11:30.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:28 pm
Sbil

In other amusing D.C. area food news, a Chipotle just opened in the food court at Pentagon City a few weeks ago and people are acting like they've never seen one before. The line was hilariously long, even for a place that notoriously has long lines.

I mean, god knows I love me some Chipotle, but come on people.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:09 pm
Pure Phase

I hate Chipotle with a passion.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:12 pm
Sbil

David wrote:
I hate Chipotle with a passion.

*gasp*

You hate Chipotle? I would eat there every day if that was sensible fiscally or nutritionally.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next