Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Is it in the best interest to go uniform? 
I know, but what I was getting at, was that those Liberals that aren't as educated (of which I included myself) are forced to seek other media outlets, while Conservatives that aren't educated themselves, will bieleve what they are told on television.

Once again, you're making this statement for which you have absolutely no support.

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:03 am
Full Fledged Member

And if you want unbiased reporting, then you shouldn't be watching news channels.

Why would I watch Broadcast/Cable news channels, I bieleve to not be portraying reality?

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

zeroboxologist wrote:
I know, but what I was getting at, was that those Liberals that aren't as educated (of which I included myself) are forced to seek other media outlets, while the few Conservatives that aren't educated themselves, will bieleve anything yhat they are told on television. (from previous post: based on political/corporate whims)

Once again, you're making this statement for which you have absolutely no support.

I reached this conclusion based partially on watching Outfoxed - a movie with little/no corporate backing, and from Dolce's original post.

In neither case, did I intend to say that all conservatives or liberals act in the way I described - just that enough of them do, that certain people should not be allowed to vote.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, and supposition, based on the evidence I see in day to day life.

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:15 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Krem wrote:
zeroboxologist wrote:
I know, but what I was getting at, was that those Liberals that aren't as educated (of which I included myself) are forced to seek other media outlets, while the few Conservatives that aren't educated themselves, will bieleve anything yhat they are told on television. (from previous post: based on political/corporate whims)

I reached this conclusion based partially on watching Outfoxed - a movie with little/no corporate backing, and from Dolce's original post.

In neither case, did I intend to say that all conservatives or liberals act in the way I described - just that enough of them do, that certain people should not be allowed to vote.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, and supposition, based on the evidence I see in day to day life.

Wait...I was really disturbed after watching Outfoxed too, but not so far as to say certain people shouldn't be allowed to vote! Look, people have agendas. People have been recruited to certain ideologies and certain hierarchies of relevancy to the issues, and that's why they voted the way they did. If you think the urban poop and the rural poor aren't both pretty much watching FOX than you're wrong. Their are other reasons why they cast their ballot differently come election day.

Do I think FOX is a joke and a half? Am I troubled by the fact most of this country gets its news from FOX? Yes and Yes. But I really don't think the split in votes can continuously be externalized and placed as the responsibilty of some company. I hate Murdock, I gravely dislike his politics and his media manipulations, but I really don't think the vote came down to his machinations. Go ahead, someone prove me wrong and produce a statistic that indicates more red state people get their news from FOX than blue state people. Or for that matter of fact, if the overseas viewers that get Murdoch subsidieries all love the USA and think its got swell foreign policy. Because right now I have my doubts. Yes ZBO, people who want to will work hard to inform themselves in otherwise, I just don't think that many people really care to. If more do in urban areas, I don't know. More likely the rest of one's discussion in his/her life informs how they watch the news, not what channel they watch.

-Dolce

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:25 am
Full Fledged Member

It is indeed an old quote (more than a 100 years old, actually). As you know, Missouri is the "show me" state, and the legend goes, that's the motto originated with that quote.

I use it not because I am a Missourian or a Democrat. I use it because I am that type of person; if you want me to believe something you say, you've got to "show me" (meaning prove it to me).

Why would I think you would be a Democrat based on that quote?

I know this may be strange coming from me, but have you ever heard of faith? I have faith that things I consider to be an outrage, will be "shown" to be so, to those that bieleve, even if they aren't ever proven.

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

zeroboxologist wrote:
Krem wrote:
zeroboxologist wrote:

Wait...I was really disturbed after watching Outfoxed too, but not so far as to say certain people shouldn't be allowed to vote! Look, people have agendas. People have been recruited to certain ideologies and certain hierarchies of relevancy to the issues, and that's why they voted the way they did. If you think the urban poop and the rural poor aren't both pretty much watching FOX than you're wrong. Their are other reasons why they cast their ballot differently come election day.

Do I think FOX is a joke and a half? Am I troubled by the fact most of this country gets its news from FOX? Yes and Yes. But I really don't think the split in votes can continuously be externalized and placed as the responsibilty of some company. I hate Murdock, I gravely dislike his politics and his media manipulations, but I really don't think the vote came down to his machinations. Go ahead, someone prove me wrong and produce a statistic that indicates more red state people get their news from FOX than blue state people. Or for that matter of fact, if the overseas viewers that get Murdoch subsidieries all love the USA and think its got swell foreign policy. Because right now I have my doubts. Yes ZBO, people who want to will work hard to inform themselves in otherwise, I just don't think that many people really care to. If more do in urban areas, I don't know. More likely the rest of one's discussion in his/her life informs how they watch the news, not what channel they watch.

-Dolce

Like it or not, people in this country are already not being allowed to vote for political reasons. (ie. Different states have different rules - not to mention citizenship issues.) Maybe I'm just bitter, but not being able to vote personally in this election (after voting in 96, and 00), makes me truly wonder what the people that have no business voting (in the words of the South Park creators - uninformed) are allowed to do so.

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Like it or not, people in this country are already not being allowed to vote for political reasons. (ie. Different states have different rules - not to mention citizenship issues.) Maybe I'm just bitter, but not being able to vote personally in this election (after voting in 96, and 00), makes me truly wonder what the people that have no business voting (in the words of the South Park creators - uninformed) are allowed to do so.

Why were you not allowed to vote if you don't mind me asking. I had thought I caught an earlier post where you claimed you vote didn't count (because you were voting Democrat in a highly Republican state) but that still meant you voted right? Sorry if I am prying, no need to answer if its too personal.

On another note, perhaps rather than try to deny the "uninformed" voting rights, we should just make it our responsibility to "inform" them.

-Dolce

Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:44 am
Full Fledged Member

zeroboxologist wrote:

Why were you not allowed to vote if you don't mind me asking. I had thought I caught an earlier post where you claimed you vote didn't count (because you were voting Democrat in a highly Republican state) but that still meant you voted right? Sorry if I am prying, no need to answer if its too personal.

On another note, perhaps rather than try to deny the "uninformed" voting rights, we should just make it our responsibility to "inform" them.

-Dolce

I agree thats what need to be done (inform the uninformed), but many on the right specifically (or at least the way they are portrayed on TV), are not willing to admit that their reasoning could be wrong.

As for me, I think I could of voted in California, because I got an absentee ballot from them, but the thing is I haven't lived there for over a year, and I had thought that I was registered in Utah when I got my drivers license.

Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2