Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Has the FCC taken things too far?/GOVERNMENTAL CONTROL 
Top Poster

Post Has the FCC taken things too far?/GOVERNMENTAL CONTROL
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=6778838 (ABC Stations cancel "Saving Private Ryan airing for Veterans Day)

What's the big deal? I hate that regular network and broadcast radio is becoming so sterile. I always do my part when I let my daughters watch tv, listen to radio, or surf the net. I explain to them in what context certain language or voilence is accepted in certain aspects of life. We have watched S.P.R. annually on DVD so they know what a "Real" war is about.

Last edited by Passionate Thug on Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:23 pm
Forum General

Yes they have. The FCC are a bunch of fuckin lifestyle nazis who have no life, and nothing better to do than try to blame the way our society is on television. Of course it has nothing to do with the upbringing and parental roles that have been taken... :roll:

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:35 pm
Is this a flamebait? The article clearly said that the FCC declined to comment, but that it had allowed to show this film in the past. The stations that pulled the movie, pulled it by themselves, nobody forced them to.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:38 pm
Top Poster

Is this a flamebait? The article clearly said that the FCC declined to comment, but that it had allowed to show this film in the past. The stations that pulled the movie, pulled it by themselves, nobody forced them to.

Krem they only aired it before the "Superbowl" fall out this year. They are afraid some idiot will complain. That's why it's not being aired.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:40 pm
Forum General

Krem wrote:

Krem they only aired it before the "Superbowl" fall out this year. They are afraid some idiot will complain. That's why it's not being aired.

Clownt!...Popped ya collar!

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:41 pm
College Boy T

I'm opposed to all censorship. Although I'm disappointed with how BUSH voters got several issues wrong (what were THEY watching?), I don't want to censor them from anything, but, hope that they find the other side out of personal interest.

I believe in human potential to change beliefs accordingly to a wealth of information. The FCC shouldn't judge what beliefs are appropriate, and which aren't (depending on the content)

I'll follow this up with a Fettastic-type radical comment. If you can't keep your kids away from the tv set and away from Saving Private Ryan, who's fault is that?

This doesn't help in terms of anything. Such operations are a waste of money.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:41 pm
Top Poster

BOYFRESH wrote:
Krem wrote:

Been popped 8)

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:45 pm
Krem wrote:

So, whose problem is it that they're afraid? If the FCC didn't object 2 years ago, they're not going to object now.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:46 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:
Krem wrote:

Been popped 8)

I meant Krem got popped :wink:

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:46 pm
I'm opposed to all censorship. Although I'm disappointed with how BUSH voters got several issues wrong (what were THEY watching?), I don't want to censor them from anything, but, hope that they find the other side out of personal interest.

I believe in human potential to change beliefs accordingly to a wealth of information. The FCC shouldn't judge what beliefs are appropriate, and which aren't (depending on the content)

I'll follow this up with a Fettastic-type radical comment. If you can't keep your kids away from the tv set and away from Saving Private Ryan, who's fault is that?

This doesn't help in terms of anything. Such operations are a waste of money.

Well, you better talk to Kerry-supporters about hate-crime laws, then.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:47 pm
Commander and Chef

Torrino, yet here we are, closing threads, editing stuff and leaving messages to tell people why one of their posts got edited.

Censorship isnt as bad as people make it.
Then again, nor is Freedom to say/show/do what you want.

Balance.
The true Jedi way!

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Some people did complain when it was aired in 2001 and 2002 but because there was no national uproar it was a blip on the screen nobody paid attention too. We have a double standard country if you ask me.

Krem are you under the belief that media influences behavoir?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:01 am
Some people did complain when it was aired in 2001 and 2002 but because there was no national uproar it was a blip on the screen nobody paid attention too. We have a double standard country if you ask me.

Some people complained, and the FCC replied to them, saying that the movie was not indecent.

And no, I don't believe that media influences how you behave, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:04 am
Forum General

BOYFRESH wrote:

Some people complained, and the FCC replied to them, saying that the movie was not indecent.

And no, I don't believe that media influences how you behave, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Krem, I think the FCC wouldnt agree

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:06 am
Top Poster

BOYFRESH wrote:

Correct, but that's another conversation I'd like to discuss in a different context or thread if anyone is interested.

Is there a double standard?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:07 am
Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:

Krem, I think the FCC wouldnt agree

I think the FCC shouldn't exist, what's your point?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:08 am
Top Poster

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:10 am
Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:

Correct, but that's another conversation I'd like to discuss in a different context or thread if anyone is interested.

What double standard are you talking about?

The FCC is not involved in this particular case AT ALL. Some ABC member-stations (note: not all) wanted toplay chicken-shit, which is is within their right. But nobody made them do it.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:13 am
Really, and what's your basis?

Basis for the FCC not existing? I'm a libertarian, and I don't believe the federal government should be deciding what is good and what isn't for all the different constituencies.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:14 am
Top Poster

BOYFRESH wrote:
Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:

The FCC is not involved in this particular case AT ALL. Some ABC member-stations (note: not all) wanted toplay chicken-shit, which is is within their right. But nobody made them do it.

$500,000 is only chicken shit to Bill Gates. :wink:

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:16 am
Top Poster

BOYFRESH wrote:

Basis for the FCC not existing? I'm a libertarian, and I don't believe the federal government should be deciding what is good and what isn't for all the different constituencies.

I agree, but why make drugs Illegal if that's the case?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:18 am
Forum General

Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:

Drugs is a little different. Drugs can ruin lives, or they just dont know how to tax them :wink:
But in all seriousness, kids can get a hold of drugs as well...which isnt a good thing

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:22 am
Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:
Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:

$500,000 is only chicken shit to Bill Gates. :wink:

Where's the fine? Again, the FCC is not a player in this case.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:30 am
Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:

I'm all for drugs being decriminalized.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:33 am
Forum General

BOYFRESH wrote:
Krem wrote:
BOYFRESH wrote:

I'm all for drugs being decriminalized.

WhY?

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next