Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Bush Cabinet Changes 
Site Owner

Post Bush Cabinet Changes
Who is gonna go? Who is gonna stay? Predictions?

Personally I think Ashcroft is gone and will be replaced by Guilianni.

What about Rice?

KJ

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

I think Rice is going... not sure though?

I actually heard rumor they wanted her for pres of the WNBA.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Bush Cabinet Changes
Eagle wrote:

What about Rice?

KJ

Drudge Report just reported that Ashcroft will resign in the next few days...

good call

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Eagle wrote:

What about Rice?

KJ

Guilianni as in Ruddi?

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

I think that one is almost carved in stone, I am more wondering about 2 people.

Rice and Powell.

Powell has the spot if he wants it, but the question is, does he want it.

KJ

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Eagle wrote:

What about Rice?

KJ

Good article in NYTimes (besides being liberal in some people mind, it still has good reporting, so read the article... :wink: )

CABINET
Who Comes, Who Goes, Who Stays in a New Bush Council

By STEVEN R. WEISMAN
Published: November 4, 2004

WASHINGTON, Nov. 3 - President Bush's re-election produced a scramble that administration officials said Wednesday could reshape the cabinet, with Attorney General John Ashcroft and the secretary of Homeland Security, Tom Ridge, considered the most likely to relinquish their posts.

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell has long been described by many people working with him as likely to leave office after tiring of the battles he has waged with administration hardliners. Associates of Mr. Powell said Wednesday, however, that they could not be sure that he would do so after all, especially if he feels that he can make progress on securing Iraq and holding elections there after the first of the year.

A top aide to the secretary said that Mr. Powell had not given any indication that he was ready to resign before discussing his future with President Bush.

"I don't see him in a hurry to settle it, or to make himself the decision-maker," said the aide, adding that Mr. Powell's discussion on his future with the president "will be amicable and mutual" and that "they'll decide together, and that may not be soon."

If Mr. Powell were to resign - there has been speculation that he would return to private life or accept the presidency of the World Bank - the names circulating in the administration as most likely successors are Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, and former Senator John F. Danforth, who is now United Nations ambassador.

Associates of Ms. Rice say, on the other hand, that she would be more interested in the job of Defense Secretary than Secretary of State. People who work with Ms. Rice say, for example, that attending diplomatic functions and ceremonies and meeting with visiting diplomats are one of the least favorite aspects of her job.

At the Pentagon, meanwhile, some working with Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld say he is interested in staying in the job in order to complete some of his changes, including the redeployment of troops around the world, transforming the military to make it more flexible, and training an Iraqi security force.

Ms. Rice has told some associates that she does not wish to stay on as national security adviser and has speculated among friends about returning to the academic field, perhaps serving as president of a university.

If she leaves the White House post, among the aspirants being discussed within the administration would be Stephen J. Hadley, her deputy, and Paul D. Wolfowitz, the deputy defense secretary, who was an early advocate of invading Iraq. But Mr. Wolfowitz has been a target of criticism because of the failure to find major unconventional weapons in Iraq.

Associates say personal reasons are factors in the likely departure of Mr. Ashcroft as head of the Justice Department and of Mr. Ridge from the Homeland Security Department.

The attorney general, who has turned the Justice Department into an important weapon in the campaign against terror, is said by some associates to be interested in returning to Missouri, his home state, which he served as both governor and United States senator. Mr. Ashcroft had gallbladder surgery in March.

Mr. Ridge has struggled to build a new cabinet agency from a disparate collection of federal departments, ranging from law enforcement to immigration to transportation. Aides say he seems ready to move on, but some say he may be willing to accept another job, like defense or secretary of state.

At the Central Intelligence Agency, officials say the new director, Porter J. Goss, is expected to begin soon to make what could be sweeping personnel changes now that he is assured of his own job. Mr. Goss, a former Republican congressman from Florida, had been expected to resign if Senator John Kerry had become president.

Among the jobs to be filled is the No. 3 post of executive director, overseeing day-to-day management of the agency. The post has been vacant since Mr. Goss ousted A. B. Krongard in October. Mr. Goss's first choice had been a former House aide, Michael V. Kostiw, but he had to withdraw after questions were raised about the circumstances under which he resigned from the agency in the 1982. The Washington Post reported that Mr. Kostiw left after being put on administrative leave in connection with a shoplifting case. It is too early even to speculate about what will happen to the cadre of conservative policy makers who have held key positions at the Defense and State Departments and at the White House, several officials said.

Some were said to be angling for more powerful jobs in a second term. John R. Bolton, under secretary of state for arms control and international security, and an architect of the administration's tough policies on the nuclear programs of Iran and North Korea, is being pushed by supporters for a more senior position in a second Bush term. Conservatives say they would like Mr. Bolton to be considered for such jobs as national security adviser, deputy secretary of state and United Nations ambassador. The current deputy secretary of state, Richard L. Armitage, is considered by State Department officials as likely to leave if Mr. Powell departs.

Mr. Powell told his senior staff Wednesday morning that he and the department had a "full agenda" in coming weeks and urged aides to work hard on it. President Bush is scheduled to attend a summit meeting in Chile later this month to discuss Asian-Pacific issues, particularly North Korea. In addition the secretary is to travel to Europe for meetings of the European Union and NATO, and to the Middle East to discuss the future of democracy in the region and the future security of Iraq.

"He gave no indication that he's not planning on being here for all the events immediately facing us," said a State Department official.

Eric Schmitt, Thom Shanker, Douglas Jehl and David Johnston contributed reporting for this article

LINK HERE...

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Yes as in Rudy.

I think that one is almost carved in stone, I am more wondering about 2 people.

Rice and Powell.

Powell has the spot if he wants it, but the question is, does he want it.

KJ

Rudy, I'm not sure if he really wants it... He is a born leader and don't know how much would he like to be a part of Bush's team... I also think he has his sights set lot higher, to run possibly for the White House...

Powell will definitely stay, but only if he gets more voice within the cabinet, which means Rumsfeld leaving and maybe somehow pacifying Wolfowitz... Also, the idea that Cheney might leave after two years might possibly appeal to him...

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Allen Greenspan is the Chairman of the Fed Res. His is not a cabinet level posistion. Also hes also 78 yeards old. His term ends June 2008. This could be a lasting legacy when Bush appoints a new chair.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

I think Ashcroft is gone, but I'm not sure who will take his spot, or if anyone else is gone. It would be nice to see Rudy in there to get him in the public light. He would still be able to run for president, though, right?

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:28 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy T

Bah. Bush probably won't appoint any Democrats, thus changing another old custom and idea that was used to found our country: checks and balances. There won't be any checks, and, 2006 won't be very successful for the Dems. RIP America. :cry:

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:36 pm
Bah. Bush probably won't appoint any Democrats, thus changing another old custom and idea that was used to found our country: checks and balances. There won't be any checks, and, 2006 won't be very successful for the Dems. RIP America. :cry:

LOSER! :-D

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:39 pm
College Boy T

Krem. Stop spamming the boards with one sentance statements. I expect you to debate, not stoop down to Ann Coulter-ish level and call Democrats...losers.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:49 pm
Site Owner

Well you can't just mindlessly bash republicans and expect a quality answer.

I won't lie, it gets rather tireing defending my political position as a republican. Being called stupid for voting for my candidate, being harassed by so many, and in general not having your point taken seriously because of the fact that you are a republican.

I don't mind the 1 word answers, sometimes it is just easier. It takes a lot of work to defend the republican position anymore. I hate to tell democrats but they are not always right.

If bush doesn't appoint a democrat to a cabinet position then boo freakin hoo for democrats.

KJ

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Then we might as well burn Constitution and remove the names of the first twenty five presidents from all books. Boo freakin' hoo!

I'm not mindlessly bashing republicans (even though any knowledgeable Jew wouldn't be in the position to support Bush, or, the second coming) but expressing my issues with having a completely republican senate, house, cabinet, and sooner or later: Supreme Court Judges.

Last edited by torrino on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:17 pm
Well you can't just mindlessly bash republicans and expect a quality answer.

I won't lie, it gets rather tireing defending my political position as a republican. Being called stupid for voting for my candidate, being harassed by so many, and in general not having your point taken seriously because of the fact that you are a republican.

I don't mind the 1 word answers, sometimes it is just easier. It takes a lot of work to defend the republican position anymore. I hate to tell democrats but they are not always right.

If bush doesn't appoint a democrat to a cabinet position then boo freakin hoo for democrats.

KJ

Word, brother!

Check out this collection of quotes by the "open-minded" sore losers: http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110005849

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:18 pm
Draughty

Welcome to life in a majority party, that's how it is. If Republicans were still a minority party then I can understand, but when you control everything you have to expect some backlash and such, it goes with the territory.

When democrats were controlling a lot of stuff decades ago, they were very self critical, it helps make people tolerate a majority party domination if the members of it aren't always defending and sometimes attack their own people. That's what Democrats did, plenty of Democrats used to criticize Truman, Johnson, Carter and Clinton. That kind of openness goes a long way to people not resenting one party domination.

But what we see both on the boards and in the media is still constant attack dog republican attitude, lockstep, unyielding alamo attitude.

Krem and company still fight with this sense of put upon victims as if it was 1964.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Welcome to life in a majority party, that's how it is. If Republicans were still a minority party then I can understand, but when you control everything you have to expect some backlash and such, it goes with the territory.

When democrats were controlling a lot of stuff decades ago, they were very self critical, it helps make people tolerate a majority party domination if the members of it aren't always defending and sometimes attack their own people. That's what Democrats did, plenty of Democrats used to criticize Truman, Johnson, Carter and Clinton. That kind of openness goes a long way to people not resenting one party domination.

But what we see both on the boards and in the media is still constant attack dog republican attitude, lockstep, unyielding alamo attitude.

Krem and company still fight with this sense of put upon victims as if it was 1964.

:)

There's a lot of Republican in-fighting right now. Look for the Specter thing to get ugly.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:30 pm

I pointed this out earlier, Norman Mineta was from the Clinton Administration and is a Democrat. He is the Head of the Transportation Department. Bush has appointed Democrats to posts. BTW, would you want John Kerry to appoint Republicans to his departments? Instead of checks and balances its really more like shared powers.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
rustiphica

torrino wrote:

I pointed this out earlier, Norman Mineta was from the Clinton Administration and is a Democrat. He is the Head of the Transportation Department. Bush has appointed Democrats to posts. BTW, would you want John Kerry to appoint Republicans to his departments? Instead of checks and balances its really more like shared powers.

Only when they lose do they want equality :P

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:22 pm
Extraordinary

Does anyone know if this is the first time one party has controlled all 3 branches of the federal government+governers (since 2000)?

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:15 am
Does anyone know if this is the first time one party has controlled all 3 branches of the federal government+governers (since 2000)?

Democrats probably did back in the 60's.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:25 am

Dont know about governors, but i can give you one party government control staistics.
President Congress

1933-1946 Democratic Democratic
47-48 Democratic Republican
49-52 Democratic Democratic
53-54 Republican Republican
55-60 Republican Democratic
61-68 Democratic Democratic
69-76 Republican Democratic
77-80 Democratic Democratic
81-86 Republican Senate Republican
House Democratic
87-92 Republican Democratic
93-94 Democratic Democratic
95-00 Democratic Repuclican
01-(6/6) Republican Republican
01-02 Republican Senate Democratic
House Republican
03-06 Republican Republican

Sorry about how this looks, can get the formatting right :twisted:

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Rice and Rumsfeld might.

I think that the Cabinet will look brand new at the end of all this.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]