Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Arafat Declared Dead. (pg. 6) 
Extraordinary

Quote:
The UN flag flies at half-staff outside the United Nations (news - web sites) building in Geneva, Switzerland, Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 in respect for Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) who died in intensive care early Thursday at the Percy Military Training Hospital in Clamart, outside Paris, France. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)

Very classy.

All of Canandanda had hat too yesterday. I was impressed, I mean, wow, they liked Arafat that much? Then I noticed it was Veterans Day.

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Krem wrote:
:lol:

*refuses the temptation to point out that when Reagan died, no such thing could concievably take place*

SNAP! I just did what I wasn't supposed to!

:oops: Rusty = I'm Lost

On the other hand, I think that half-mast was a diplomatic formality Dima. Its being flown in acknowledgment of the symbol and as an attempt to indicate a willingness to move on and negotiate. If that's what it takes to bring people back to the table, I guess I'm okay with it.

-Dolce

I think you're giving the UN too much credit :lol:

I swear, if the UN was running for a U.S. president, it would dream of Cobb numbers.

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:51 pm
Krem wrote:

Quote:
The UN flag flies at half-staff outside the United Nations (news - web sites) building in Geneva, Switzerland, Thursday, Nov 11, 2004 in respect for Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) who died in intensive care early Thursday at the Percy Military Training Hospital in Clamart, outside Paris, France. (AP Photo/Keystone, Martial Trezzini)

Very classy.

All of Canandanda had hat too yesterday. I was impressed, I mean, wow, they liked Arafat that much? Then I noticed it was Veterans Day.

Ooh, good one! Maybe the half-mast really for the Armistice day. Then someone at AP screwed up really badly. Which is not at all unusual ;-)

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:53 pm
Commander and Chef

well, you also got to remember that most canadians are really big palestinian supporters as well ... so ...

though i doubt it was for him too : )

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

well, you also got to remember that most canadians are really big palestinian supporters as well ... so ...

Are they? I dunno, I'd say its 50/50.

Plus, I dunno why the hell anyone has to choose a side. I mean, I support Israel's right to exist, and I support the Palestinians. But I do not support either Arafat or the terrorist groups.

Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

Plus, I dunno why the hell anyone has to choose a side. I mean, I support Israel's right to exist, and I support the Palestinians. But I do not support either Arafat or the terrorist groups.

no .. its not choosing sides ... what i mean is, I do know that the people, and even the govt made it really clear that they were more palestinian sympathizers than anything else ... when it came to the issue ....

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

no .. its not choosing sides ... what i mean is, I do know that the people, and even the govt made it really clear that they were more palestinian sympathizers than anything else ... when it came to the issue ....

What does that mean, to sympahtsize more with the Plaestinians. I thought both sides want this thing to end, no?

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Good point Boxie...

bABA, do you think that having a country with many Palestinian sympathizers could indicate a heavy desire to see Israel stabilize? There isn't one way to fix this problem. I consider myself fairly supportive as well, but also think part of that is securing an Israeli state and just moving on. I do think there needs to be a Palestinian state as well, but I'm not sure how to handle border issues in the aftermath. And again, I think a large part of Terrorist support as far as desire is coming from Sharon's bulldozing activities in the past.

-Dolce

Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:08 pm
Commander and Chef

box_2005 wrote:

Good point Boxie...

bABA, do you think that having a country with many Palestinian sympathizers could indicate a heavy desire to see Israel stabilize? There isn't one way to fix this problem. I consider myself fairly supportive as well, but also think part of that is securing an Israeli state and just moving on. I do think there needs to be a Palestinian state as well, but I'm not sure how to handle border issues in the aftermath. And again, I think a large part of Terrorist support as far as desire is coming from Sharon's bulldozing activities in the past.

-Dolce

I think people are misunderstanding what it means to be sympathizers .. i guess i'm used to hearing the term so i never questioned its meaning ..

Palestinian sympathisers are more .. well .. sympathetic towards the palestinians.

Now that I've goten a 'duh' from every user here i mean this. While people everywhere are harsher to term palestinian attacks as terrorism, canada does as well but are more linient towards them. You know how you have a kid in class who messes up all the time and the teachers punish them and then you have that one teacher whos nicer yet doesn't approve?? thats the same thing.

Plus from what I've been able to gather from how the govt reacts to the situation there and the people here, they seem to lay more blame on the situation with israel more than palestine.

What I'm trying to say is this:

While in one part of the world, you hear about a palestinian bombing civilians, i see people focus more upon how israel walked into palestinian territory ... from my understanding, people around me and from what i've gathered from the govt, people here are harsher towards israel than the palestinians in general.

Also please realize that while I'm typing this, I've had 2 shots of 60% alcohol .. i know what i want to say but probably not even getting it out right ... so excuse me ... if this makes no sense, I'll get back to it again ...

Just to answer what box said, i dont think anyone in canada has any issues with israel's right to exist. but they also beleive that israel has unlawfully taken over parts of the palestinian territory, territory that in no way belongs to them and hence, theyre in the wrong.

Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think people are misunderstanding what it means to be sympathizers .. i guess i'm used to hearing the term so i never questioned its meaning ..

Palestinian sympathisers are more .. well .. sympathetic towards the palestinians.

Now that I've goten a 'duh' from every user here i mean this. While people everywhere are harsher to term palestinian attacks as terrorism, canada does as well but are more linient towards them. You know how you have a kid in class who messes up all the time and the teachers punish them and then you have that one teacher whos nicer yet doesn't approve?? thats the same thing.

I know what you mean bABA. You're trying to say that they are more sympathetic to the current venue in which Palestinians are trying to gain power. To me, that doesn't necessarily equate to true sympathy. Sometimes that kid in school needs "tough love." That isn't to say punishment for no reason, or inappropriate punishment for the actions. And there needs to be more analysis into why the kid is choosing those particular forms of "messing up all the time." But, if you also just say its okay every time, you're ultimately doing more damage to the kids future than you think. This is usually called "spoiling" the child.

We need to find a better balance between understanding why Palestinians have resorted to this form of power assumption, and what our response to it is going to be. That, in my opinion, is true sympathy.

bABA wrote:
Plus from what I've been able to gather from how the govt reacts to the situation there and the people here, they seem to lay more blame on the situation with israel more than palestine.

What I'm trying to say is this:

While in one part of the world, you hear about a palestinian bombing civilians, i see people focus more upon how israel walked into palestinian territory ... from my understanding, people around me and from what i've gathered from the govt, people here are harsher towards israel than the palestinians in general.

I know. There is plenty of discussion of this in many places, but perhaps it is more prevelant in Canada, that I do not know.

bABA wrote:
Also please realize that while I'm typing this, I've had 2 shots of 60% alcohol .. i know what i want to say but probably not even getting it out right ... so excuse me ... if this makes no sense, I'll get back to it again ...

Just to answer what box said, i dont think anyone in canada has any issues with israel's right to exist. but they also beleive that israel has unlawfully taken over parts of the palestinian territory, territory that in no way belongs to them and hence, theyre in the wrong.

Yeah, no one is argueing that occupied territory is in fact, occupied territory.

bABA, I just cracked open the Cabernet too and am going out tonight w00t! So I have the same excuse you do if I sound like an idiot.

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty!

-Dolce

Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7