Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Buying a new computer. Any suggestions. 
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Post Buying a new computer. Any suggestions.
Anyone have a suggestion on buying a new computer. Brand, minimums, extras. Buying it over the internet. Etc.

Needed software.

Mostly it is a home computer but a laptop is OK as it is portable for quick trips. ( How long do laptops last for, about 3/4 years before the screen burns out )

So anyone who knows computers, max it out with whatever it needs, as I figure about $5,000 will be more than enough to get all that is needed and should cover the total price. (My Xmas present to myself.)

Last edited by Goldie on Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

You want to spend $5000 for a computer? Not worth it. You can get a fullyloaded computer for under $1000. I got mine for $650. It's a Dell Dimension Desktop and it includes..

-17inch Monitor
-Altec Lansing Speakers
-2.53Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
-CD Burner/DVD Burner
-80GB Hard Drive

I think Dell is the best company, and they also have excellent prices.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:46 pm
New Server, Same X

$5000? What, do you want about 7 or 8 computers?

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:50 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
You want to spend $5000 for a computer? Not worth it. You can get a fullyloaded computer for under $1000. I got mine for $650. It's a Dell Dimension Desktop and it includes..

-17inch Monitor
-Altec Lansing Speakers
-2.53Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
-CD Burner/DVD Burner
-80GB Hard Drive

I think Dell is the best company, and they also have excellent prices.

Cool, much better price. For the 5000, that is what I budgeted to spend. I really don't know prices if more is better. At work, we looked at the Dell site, and my friend priced a good computer for about 1700.

But then don't you have to buy the software extra and some other items.

I was thinking of the Microsoft Office Professional package and Quickbooks accounting software. Plus anything else that is needed. If I do some business accounting consulting work, then this becomes a tax writeoff. So I thought this would bring it up to the 3000 + level. Then I was wondering if more was needed. Cause I want to have it fully loaded when I buy it.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

There is a reason to spend 5000 on a computer, but only if you are a huge PC gamer.

If you are then my suggestion is 2 fold. First get World of Warcraft from http://www.blizzard.com when it comes out, because it will be an amazing game, and a great game to run on your comp.

Secondly go to http://www.alienware.com (I think that is right) and get a comp from them.

Things you want for a gaming PC:

Top of the line Graphics card. I mean TOP of the line.

About 1Gig of memory.

AN ATHLON PROCESSOR. Do not get Pentium, I can explain if you want but just trust me, get an athlon.

Now goldie, if you aren't going to game, then you shouldnt spend over 2 grand (and even that is alot)

And you can go somewhere like best buy to find a good one.

KJ

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Goldie, I do computer consulting on the side and build custom computers for people. I can tell you, the first thing you need to do is figure out what you're going to be using the computer for.

It sounds like you want to be mobile, and for a laptop I reccoment the Toshiba P-series. They're feature-packed, powerful, and have a dedicated video memory, which is very important if you are going to be using graphics-heavy applications (like games, or 3-d charting, or Photoshop). Also, don't go for a Pentium-Mobile processor, or a Centrino. Get the one with a regular Pentium 4 processor. The battery life might not be as good, but you won't feel short on power.

The only thing is, don't go for the latest processor models, as they're ridculously overpiced. For instance, if the latest model is 3.4GHz, get the 2.8 GHz model; that alone will save you about $500-600.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:34 pm
Site Owner

Get an Athlon Processor.

KJ

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Goldie,

There is a reason to spend 5000 on a computer, but only if you are a huge PC gamer.

If you are then my suggestion is 2 fold. First get World of Warcraft from http://www.blizzard.com when it comes out, because it will be an amazing game, and a great game to run on your comp.

Secondly go to http://www.alienware.com (I think that is right) and get a comp from them.

Things you want for a gaming PC:

Top of the line Graphics card. I mean TOP of the line.

About 1Gig of memory.

AN ATHLON PROCESSOR. Do not get Pentium, I can explain if you want but just trust me, get an athlon.

Now goldie, if you aren't going to game, then you shouldnt spend over 2 grand (and even that is alot)

And you can go somewhere like best buy to find a good one.

KJ

I concur, for a gaming desktop, this is the best plan to go. The only thing is, I wouldn't go to alienware, I'd go to my local retailer. They can build a PC with the same specs, but cheaper, and you'll have a better customer support.

If the PC is not for gaming and it's a desktop, then you shouldn't be spending over $700-800, if you already have a monitor.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:37 pm

Alienware may look cool, but you are paying way more then you need to to every technical spec, just buying an alienware case forces you buy more expensive hardware.

Gamers and their need for "cool" looking computers.

Your description of what you want is far to general for me to offer you an real advice. But if you elaborted a bit on what you what plan to be doing with this computer I can certianly help you out.

I do teach computer science for a living :wink:

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:53 pm
Lord of filth

The only reason why you would spend $5000 on a computer is you were going after a top-of-the-line Apple system.

Otherwise, $2000 should really be enough for a top of the line PC system.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Alienware may look cool, but you are paying way more then you need to to every technical spec, just buying an alienware case forces you buy more expensive hardware.

Gamers and their need for "cool" looking computers.

Your description of what you want is far to general for me to offer you an real advice. But if you elaborted a bit on what you what plan to be doing with this computer I can certianly help you out.

I do teach computer science for a living :wink:

OK teach, I will write up a more detailed description when I get a chance.

But here is a short one, if this one is OK.

- Have hard drive computer at home but it could use upgrades, so I am leaning toward laptop for mobility.

- Not really into games but could be in future. Over next 3/4 years, I could try some. Please suggest if Yes and No on games.

- Computer would be mainly personal and little bit business.

- Would want computer with enough or extra RAM and disk space so that it wouldn't be a problem later on. For anything internet related, websites, downloads, movies, etc. ( This year especially, everything seemed to increase with the needed system requirements. )

- Some business software - maybe MicroSoft Office Professional, Quickbooks and what other needed software is suggested.

That is the short list, I can detail it more later if needed.

Thanks for the help.

Adding what Krem said below.

It sounds like you want to be mobile, and for a laptop I reccoment the Toshiba P-series. They're feature-packed, powerful, and have a dedicated video memory, which is very important if you are going to be using graphics-heavy applications (like games, or 3-d charting, or Photoshop). Also, don't go for a Pentium-Mobile processor, or a Centrino. Get the one with a regular Pentium 4 processor. The battery life might not be as good, but you won't feel short on power.

The only thing is, don't go for the latest processor models, as they're ridculously overpiced. For instance, if the latest model is 3.4GHz, get the 2.8 GHz model; that alone will save you about $500-600.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

A few months ago I got a Dell 4600 with 1 gig RAM, 80mb hard drive and 128 MB graphics card. Is it the top of the line? Far from it, but it works great, I love it. And for $697 after rebate it was a great deal. I'd suggest that model and make for anyone who just wants a strong decent home computer and isn't concerned with being cutting edge.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Don't buy it. Just stay off the internet. That would make many people happy. :lol:

I'm the man.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

You are going to need to decide between getting an all-out gaming system for gaming (which you don't plan to do much of) and a laptop.

I have a 4 year old Dell laptop, it has like 128ram (which was a good amount at the time) a 16mb video card and a 20gig harddrive, and for BUSINESS purposes, I have absolutely no need for anything else.

I can do graphic design, web design, business, Office, whatever... system requirements for most business software programs are not really pushing the boundries of systems like they used to, and you should be fine for 5 years with any basic system from a 2004 line if business is what you plan on doing.

Now my desktop system is another story. It is a multimedia and game system. That's where performance is important. I run MMORPG games mostly (Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft) and you have to continually dump hardware into it (I am strongly considering 512 more RDRAM and a jump up from my Raedeon 9200 at the moment... can anybody suggest some good suggestions on video cards?). If you are going to be playing games, music management and various degrees of burning CD/DVD and DVD it is going to require a lot more time and money.

My recommendation? It looks like you primarily want a portable business machine. Buy a decent $1500 laptop and you should be fine. It should perform all the functions you need. Save the rest of your money for when you want to get into gaming and THEN buy your desktop/gaming system.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Don't buy it. Just stay off the internet. That would make many people happy. :lol:

hehehehehehe. That was so funny.

Listen for someone who is only staying in my basement (see Pimp's location) because he is a penniless, deadbeat, free-loader without anything to his name, I wouldn't talk. Winter is coming, I might just have to kick you out.

hehehehehehe.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

I would suggest that you evauluate what you will actually use it for. If it's mainly for the internet $300-400 dollars should do. Want to add gaming $1500 is plenty. Currently I spent about $2100 on my last PC including a 17 inch lcd monitor.
My specs are:

2.8mhz P4
512mb ddr ram
128mb video graphics card
Soundblaster sound card
2.1 speaker system
CD-R/RW/DVD-R/RW combo drive
52X CD drive
3.5 floppy drive
9-card media reader
TV tuner with video inputs and outputs
3 in 1 printer, copier, scanner
Loads of software and games

Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:02 pm
Forum General

I would suggest that you evauluate what you will actually use it for. If it's mainly for the internet $300-400 dollars should do. Want to add gaming $1500 is plenty. Currently I spent about $2100 on my last PC including a 17 inch lcd monitor.
My specs are:

2.8mhz P4
512mb ddr ram
Soundblaster sound card
2.1 speaker system
52X CD drive
3.5 floppy drive
9-card media reader

That looks good. Thanks. Anybody have any changes or different suggestions.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Krem (and others gave you excellent advice), my two cents to add to it:

For what you will use it, even today's average computer will do fine for the next 4-5 years, trust me on this one... Seems like it might make more sense for you to get a laptop...

In any case, buy 'the second below the top' processor (as Krem suggested, unless you like to overpay for things...Better bang for your dollar), get 1GB RAM (or make sure motherboard RAM is expandable to at least 1GB, more is better...), get 2 SATA hard drives (if you go for laptop make sure it has FireWire, which is great for connecting external hard drives, but also digital video cameras...), and make sure that the computer manufacturer has a good warranty and support (web-based and live)... That's all... Dell is a great buy...

I still have a Dell Dimension 4200, PIII 800Mhz, over 4 years old, only things I upgraded was extra RAM (to 512MB, can't get more, mobo limited), added two hard drives and changed video card from 32MB to 128MB, as I'm an occasional game player... :wink:

For business application (i.e. Microsoft Office, Internet) and even for managing my digital pictures using Adobe Photoshop it is still acceptable...
I still think I can get another 2-3 years out of it, maybe only upgrading my monitor to LCD...

Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

BOYFRESH wrote:
My specs are:

2.8mhz P4
512mb ddr ram
Soundblaster sound card
2.1 speaker system
52X CD drive
3.5 floppy drive
9-card media reader

That looks good. Thanks. Anybody have any changes or different suggestions.

You really shouldn't go lower than 512 ram on *new* systems these days. Just make it a gig.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:34 pm
Profile WWW

OK teach, I will write up a more detailed description when I get a chance.

But here is a short one, if this one is OK.

- Have hard drive computer at home but it could use upgrades, so I am leaning toward laptop for mobility.

- Not really into games but could be in future. Over next 3/4 years, I could try some. Please suggest if Yes and No on games.

- Computer would be mainly personal and little bit business.

- Would want computer with enough or extra RAM and disk space so that it wouldn't be a problem later on. For anything internet related, websites, downloads, movies, etc. ( This year especially, everything seemed to increase with the needed system requirements. )

- Some business software - maybe MicroSoft Office Professional, Quickbooks and what other needed software is suggested.

Some very important things people have said that you shoud listen to.

1. Don't buy the to of hte line processor, it is always way overpriced, go down one or two steps and you can get a good deal, same thing goes for video cards, the top of the line video card is genrally really pricy, but the number two rated one is generally pretty dam good.

2. Get at least 512mb RAM, anyoen running WinXp with 256 MB RAM or less is nuts.

3. Since you might want to do games, the spend the moeny on a nice video card and a nice sound card and stay away from onboard video and onbaord sound. make sure you video card has its own separate RAM. That is stay away from computers where it lists video RAM and then says shred in prantheses, that means it is actualy using the sytem RAM and does not have its own.

I have a laptop and I love it, but you pay more for the convience and laptops have slower hard drives.

The simple fac is your PC's processor spends most of its time idle, why becuase its not hte bottleneck fo your comptuer, your RAM and your hard drive are. Most people don't have enough RAM, and hard drive don't spin that fast. Having the top of the line processor just means your processor sits around even more, very few people on this earth needs the processor speeds that come in everyday computers, it is by and large a waste.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]