Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Homosexual Parents 
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:

OK, noone has answered my question yet. Why do heterosexual parents raise gay kids? I mean...you know since thats the way it works right

:roll:

My "devil's advocate" argument was that gay parents are more likely to raise gay children than straight parents. It wasn't that "gay parents only raise gay children and straight parents only raise straight children".

lovemerox wrote:
Cmon, you guys really dont believe this shit do you?

I don't, but that doesn't mean others are as 'understanding' as I am.

@ your first response
Your only argument was based on public opinion polls and a very VERY loose argument on a type of osmosis :roll: :wink:

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:50 pm
The things is Muslims, Catholics, Democrats, DO Raise their kids to be that way. They teach them certain values and beliefs, and most kids believe their parents and stick to those beliefs.

I have never heard of a gay couple who raises their kids to be gay, and tell them that's the natural/right way to go when they're old. (Though to be honest, I dodn't think it would make a differnce if they did)

See, you're preaching to the choir here.

Why not make a friend with a "closed-minded" person, and explain that stuff to them?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:50 pm
I think religion and politics are totally different than sexual preference. Parents raise their kids to follow that religion or those political beliefs, or no religion at all if they are atheist, and for the most part the kids grow up to follow the same religion and poltical views, with exceptions, which there will always be. But sexuality, on the other hand, is different. Someone can choose to be a certain religion or belong to a certain political party, whereas they can't choose their sexuality. Even if gay parents raise their child to be that way, there comes a time when that child chooses for himself or herself what is right for them.

Would it matter if a person COULD actually choose their sexuality?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:51 pm
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:
:lol: :lol: OMG IM LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW!!!
Osmosis?? are you serious? Osmosis-movement of a solvent through a semipermeable membrane (as of a living cell) into a solution of higher solute concentration that tends to equalize the concentrations of solute on the two sides of the membrane.

So unless two men can have a child(and this def would still be a bit off to try and apply) your argument dosent really hold up.
Shot down
Try again? :D

Umm, next time don't be so eager to accept the first dictionary definition you come across, mkay?

2 : a process of absorption or diffusion suggestive of the flow of osmotic action; especially : a usually effortless often unconscious assimilation <learned a number of languages by osmosis -- Roger Kimball>

Ok, well if you believe this then do you believe all religious parents will raise religious kids? All str8 parents will raise str8 kids? All parents who are rapists will raise kids who will rape? All parents who abuse , their kids will abuse as well?

You're hurting your own case here.

It's a well-documented fact that children of religious parents are more likely to be religious; children who grow up in abusive households are more likely to become abusive themselves.

You may be correct on the first one, but you are wrong on the second one its not that simple....Even still, it isnt always the case for either.

'More likely' is not the same as 'always'.
lovemerox wrote:
WHY DO HETEROSEXUAL PARENTS RAISE GAY KIDS!!!!?????
Nobody will answer the question! :D

Because it's an assinine question.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:53 pm
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

OK, noone has answered my question yet. Why do heterosexual parents raise gay kids? I mean...you know since thats the way it works right

:roll:

My "devil's advocate" argument was that gay parents are more likely to raise gay children than straight parents. It wasn't that "gay parents only raise gay children and straight parents only raise straight children".

lovemerox wrote:
Cmon, you guys really dont believe this shit do you?

I don't, but that doesn't mean others are as 'understanding' as I am.

@ your first response
Your only argument was based on public opinion polls and a very VERY loose argument on a type of osmosis :roll: :wink:

You're right, I don't have anything to back up my argument. Do you have anything to back up yours?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:53 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:
:lol: :lol: OMG IM LAUGHING SO HARD RIGHT NOW!!!
Osmosis?? are you serious? Osmosis-movement of a solvent through a semipermeable membrane (as of a living cell) into a solution of higher solute concentration that tends to equalize the concentrations of solute on the two sides of the membrane.

So unless two men can have a child(and this def would still be a bit off to try and apply) your argument dosent really hold up.
Shot down
Try again? :D

Umm, next time don't be so eager to accept the first dictionary definition you come across, mkay?

2 : a process of absorption or diffusion suggestive of the flow of osmotic action; especially : a usually effortless often unconscious assimilation <learned a number of languages by osmosis -- Roger Kimball>

Ok, well if you believe this then do you believe all religious parents will raise religious kids? All str8 parents will raise str8 kids? All parents who are rapists will raise kids who will rape? All parents who abuse , their kids will abuse as well?

You're hurting your own case here.

It's a well-documented fact that children of religious parents are more likely to be religious; children who grow up in abusive households are more likely to become abusive themselves.

You may be correct on the first one, but you are wrong on the second one its not that simple....Even still, it isnt always the case for either.

'More likely' is not the same as 'always'.
lovemerox wrote:
WHY DO HETEROSEXUAL PARENTS RAISE GAY KIDS!!!!?????
Nobody will answer the question! :D

Because it's an assinine question.

No it isnt. Its a very good question. It goes along with the argument in which we are discussing. If the general thought that gay parents will raise gay kids is true, then hetero parents should raise heteo kids right?

No need to be rude krem :wink:

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:55 pm
No it isnt. Its a very good question. It goes along with the argument in which we are discussing. If the general thought that gay parents will raise gay kids is true, then hetero parents should raise heteo kids right?

It IS an assinine question, because it makes a strawman out of my argument. I said that gay parents are more likely to raise gay children than straight parents. Inversely, straight parents are more likely to raise straight children than gay parents.

My argument does not deal with absolutes; your question does. Therefore, it is not applicable.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:58 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Rod wrote:
The things is Muslims, Catholics, Democrats, DO Raise their kids to be that way. They teach them certain values and beliefs, and most kids believe their parents and stick to those beliefs.

I have never heard of a gay couple who raises their kids to be gay, and tell them that's the natural/right way to go when they're old. (Though to be honest, I dodn't think it would make a differnce if they did)

Why not make a friend with a "closed-minded" person, and explain that stuff to them?

Where is Kelley when you need her :D

Best Actress 2008

Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:

It IS an assinine question, because it makes a strawman out of my argument. I said that gay parents are more likely to raise gay children than straight parents. Inversely, straight parents are more likely to raise straight children than gay parents.

My argument does not deal with absolutes; your question does. Therefore, it is not applicable.

Whatever Krem, your loosing the argument so I guess you feel a need to backpeddle. :roll:

Once again, your argument is laughable. You offer no basis for it at all, except a public opinion poll and a reference to osmosis.

Good thing you dont think this way Krem

P.S. No hard feelings on this argument Ok? :wink:

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:01 pm
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

Whatever Krem, your loosing the argument so I guess you feel a need to backpeddle. :roll:

Once again, your argument is laughable. You offer no basis for it at all, except a public opinion poll and a reference to osmosis.

What you keep failing to realize is that you have no basis for YOUR argument either, just like I don't on mine. However, because the public opinion is on "my" side, the laws will go against your argument.

Which is what my whole point was about: you can't win that battle, unless you provide a solid case for it, and not just dismiss everyone who doesn't feel the way you do as religious zealots.

P.S. Strawman tactics might make you sound clever, but they won't win you any arguments.

lovemerox wrote:

Why would there be any feeling involved?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:07 pm
Krem wrote:
Rod wrote:

Where is Kelley when you need her :D

In Missouri?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:07 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

What you keep failing to realize is that you have no basis for YOUR argument either, just like I don't on mine. However, because the public opinion is on "my" side, the laws will go against your argument.

Which is what my whole point was about: you can't win that battle, unless you provide a solid case for it, and not just dismiss everyone who doesn't feel the way you do as religious zealots.

P.S. Strawman tactics might make you sound clever, but they won't win you any arguments.

lovemerox wrote:

Why would there be any feeling involved?

I have solid proof. I know a few friends who are NOT gay, who have been raised by a gay couple. So there you go. Served~
:wink:
OK, lets pretend t that gay parents will always raise gay kids(which we both know isnt true) lets just pretend. Whats the harm? Where is the wrong doing?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:15 pm
OK, lets pretend t that gay parents will always raise gay kids(which we both know isnt true) lets just pretend. Whats the harm? Where is the wrong doing?

Ok, while we're at it, let's change the word "gay" to the word" fascist".

Do you see any harm in raising children to be fascists?

If so, would you agree that people who are known fascists should not be allowed to adopt, in the interest of the society?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:18 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:

If so, would you agree that people who are known fascists should not be allowed to adopt, in the interest of the society?

Hang on, before we start changing the name around, lets concentrate on the first question

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:19 pm
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

Hang on, before we start changing the name around, lets concentrate on the first question

It's important that I know where you stand on the issue of the government picking and choosing which groups of people can and can't adopt children.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:24 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

It's important that I know where you stand on the issue of the government picking and choosing which groups of people can and can't adopt children.

Ok, well Im sorry but I dont think you can really equate fascists with gay people.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:26 pm
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

Ok, well Im sorry but I dont think you can really equate fascists with gay people.

No, I can't, and I'm not. I just want to know if you consider it the government's job to discriminate in the case of adoption.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:28 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

No, I can't, and I'm not. I just want to know if you consider it the government's job to discriminate in the case of adoption.

I guess it depends on the situation. Do I think they should be able to discriminate against a racist, fascist, horrible person....yes, only because that would not e a good, healthy enviroment for the child.
Is that what your asking?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:33 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

The government SHOULD restrict who can and can't adopt.

There are some people who are fit and not fit to raise children. Those not fit should not be allowed to do so. There are unfit parents. That includes gay people (though I wonder why they would want to adopt in the first place then). They should't be raising children.

There are straight couples who give birth to their own children, are not ready for it, are not fit parents, and often that's not seen as wrong from a legal prespective, but for a gay couple to adopt..

But for those that are just trying to give them a nice stable loving home...there's no harm in it in my eyes and i know people who oppose it will disagree and not change their minds on the subject, so I don't knwo that I should be arguing the point. :wink:

Best Actress 2008

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

There are some people who are fit and not fit to raise children. Those not fit should not be allowed to do so. There are unfit parents. That includes gay people (though I wonder why they would want to adopt in the first place then). They should't be raising children.

There are straight couples who give birth to their own children, are not ready for it, are not fit parents, and often that's not seen as wrong from a legal prespective, but for a gay couple to adopt..

But for those that are just trying to give them a nice stable loving home...there's no harm in it in my eyes and i know people who oppose it will disagree and not change their minds on the subject, so I don't knwo that I should be arguing the point. :wink:

I agree

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:37 pm
I guess it depends on the situation. Do I think they should be able to discriminate against a racist, fascist, horrible person....yes, only because that would not e a good, healthy enviroment for the child.

Yup.

Now, if someone believes that an environment with two gay parents is not a healthy environment to raise a child (in part because a higher gay population means lower birth rates in the long run), would that make it OK for them to press the government to filter gays from the adoption process?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:38 pm

That's great. But, like I said before, not everyone is as cheery about that. You see those people everyday. It is up to you to shape their opinion, and it shouldn't be up to courts.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:40 pm
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:

Yup.

Now, if someone believes that an environment with two gay parents is not a healthy environment to raise a child (in part because a higher gay population means lower birth rates in the long run), would that make it OK for them to press the government to filter gays from the adoption process?

No, but what are the arguments for a gay enviroment to be unhealthy?

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:42 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

lovemerox wrote:

Yup.

I would tell those people that, contrary to populasr belief, the population could probably be 50% gay and there still wouldn't be any risk of humans dying off. Unless it that 50% was the guys, in which case...it'd still be worth it.

:wink:

But I wouldn't get there because I stil don't think being raised by gay parents is gonna make you gay!

Best Actress 2008

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Krem wrote:
lovemerox wrote:

Yup.

No, but what are the arguments for a gay enviroment to be unhealthy?

Some people argue that being gay in and of itself is not normal.

Others argue that living in a gay household makes one feel emotionally inferior and may cause emotional trauma for a kid, because of taunting at school, etc.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next