Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The case for a playoff 
Teenage Dream

Post The case for a playoff
If the NCAA decided to go with a sixteen team playoff (like Division AA and AAA), these are the matchup's we would be looking at. These were made using the Coaches Poll, The AP poll, and the BCS rankings.

1. USC
16. Florida St.

Rose Bowl

8. Louisville
9. Miami

Outback Bowl

5. Texas
12. LSU

Cotton Bowl

4. California
13. Michigan

Fiesta Bowl

6. Utah
11. Virginia Tech

Capital One Bowl

3. Auburn
14. Iowa

Orange Bowl

7. Georgia
10. Boise St.

Gator Bowl

2. Oklahoma
15. Tennessee

Sugar Bowl

Look at these first round matchups. These are absolutely amazing. As a fan of college football (and just sports in general), how could you possibly not want to see these games? The big bowl games could even host these games so they wouldn't lose any money. The four BCS bowls could get the top four teams' game. I put the bowl game that could host them underneath. I chose them based on the location of the higher seed to give them a slight advantage. If there is no near location for the higher seed, they'd be sent to whichever bowl they choose out of top eight. Honestly, I don't see a single "easy win" there. The potential secound round matchups are even better. What do you guys think? Wouldn't this be amazing?

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:37 am
Yeah, but isn't the most oft-repeated case against College Football playoffs the additional strain it will put on the players?

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:13 am
Angels & Demons

I would love to see a playoff format, hate the bowl games. but true, these are students. well somewhat anyways.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Yeah, but isn't the most oft-repeated case against College Football playoffs the additional strain it will put on the players?

Yeah, but the same people saying this want to add a mandatory 12th game to every teams schedule, so they have little to no credibility on the subject. It mainly just comes down to money. The big schools want to assure all of the bowl money goes to them. That's why they made the BCS almost impossible for a "non-BCS school" to crack. Utah got lucky this year.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:51 pm
Site Owner

I am sure the Big East would have one representative in a 16 team playoff ...

KJ

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

While i totally agree a playoff is needed, 16 is to much. Realisticly it would have to be a 4 or 6 team playoff.

KJ

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Your matchups are slightly skewed.

I am sure the Big East would have one representative in a 16 team playoff ...

KJ

I was just going off of the AP/Coaches/BCS polls. I took the averages for the teams off all three. Don't blame me cause the Big East blows this year. :P . It's pretty sad that the best team in the Big East next season is going to be new to the conference (Louisville).

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:36 pm
Teenage Dream

Also,

While i totally agree a playoff is needed, 16 is to much. Realisticly it would have to be a 4 or 6 team playoff.

KJ

16 is the number most talking heads have been throwing around because it will eliminate the whole "Team X should have gone!" fiasco. If you aren't good enough to make the top 16, then you don't deserve a shot at the title.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]