Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 March Madness 
Extraordinary

Post Re: March Madness
4 teams from Ohio in the sweet 16 that is unreal. And two of those teams were in the huge brawl back in December.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:20 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

A Cinci/Xavier Nat Championship would make a great movie.

I'm in first place, but totally screwed. Fla. State was a bad choice.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:05 am

Elijah Johnson will be a great player next year, and once again it seems like the generic college basketball fan has learned to root against Kansas, which just makes me love my school even more. They've shown through so many games this year that they are a team that can make the comeback and hold in the game until the very end. Most people will dismiss that though.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 am
Extraordinary

I hate Kentucky much worse than Kansas, but that is because slimebag Calapari is their head coach.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

FSU :tears: :tears: :tears:

2 of my Final Four are gone

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:56 am

Yeah, Calapari and his one and done teams can suck it.

With the injuries plaguing North Carolina, Kansas's shot to get to the final four has increased, but NC State is playing very dangerously.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:21 pm
Extraordinary

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Yeah, Calapari and his one and done teams can suck it.

With the injuries plaguing North Carolina, Kansas's shot to get to the final four has increased, but NC State is playing very dangerously.

NC State would scare me, although I think Kansas will beat them. I am hoping Indiana beats Kentucky again or at least Baylor will. Of course, Baylor has to get past a pretty good Xavier team. As for the other brackets, I think we will see Ohio State play Syracuse in the East, North Carolina and Kansas in the Midwest, Louisville and Marquette in the West, and Kentucky and Baylor in the South

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

I would not be surprised if the final game is Ohio State versus Kentucky, they are playing like the two best teams in the tournament, and without any injuries (UNC)

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 pm
Extraordinary

I'd watch out for Marquette too. They are playing very good as well and have two great players.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:00 pm
Profile WWW

However, if it is Kansas versus Ohio State if those two teams advance to the final four, Kansas had an easy time beating them earlier this season, but right now I just don't see Kentucky losing to anyone.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 pm
Extraordinary

I think Kentucky can be beat. They have weaknesses and Calipari really isn't that good of a coach and has shown his stupidity in the tournament before.

Last edited by Jedi Master Carr on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

lol

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:
lol

Well he has, last year he was schooled by Calhoun. And in previous tourney's he has made several coaching mistakes. He really isn't that good of a coach just brilliant at scouting and bringing in great athletes.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Whatever you say.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 pm
Extraordinary

Well I will admit I hate him. I think he is a scumbag, especially with what he did to Memphis and UMass before that.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Does coaching really matter during March Madness? The best NCAA coach there is just got knocked out in the first round..

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Does coaching really matter during March Madness? The best NCAA coach there is just got knocked out in the first round..

To be fair, that was one of the worst duke teams in terms of players I have seen. Coach K actually did a great job this season with them. I think coaching does matter to some degree, as we saw with UConn last year and Duke the year before that.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're insane.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 am

People who don't think coaches matter have never played in a basketball league.

Coaches are the ones who decide who plays on the court, they adjust line-ups and defenses along with the point guard. This is why North Carolina is in trouble. Their point guard is injured and is a main reason why the team scores so much. Williams teams are known for having those fast break offenses, which in some cases does not need plays called quickly such as with the last few fast break points Kansas used to beat Purdue. However, many times with Williams teams, as he did with Kansas when he was here, he likes to have his point guards run quick offenses that score before you can blink. A coach cannot communicate that with a point guard that fast, it has to be done by the point guard if there is any surprise to come out of it. This means the point guard needs to be good at getting the ball to the right player at the right time through very accurate and well timed passes.

But back to coaching.

When coaches really shine is when you take a team that is not super talented and are able to go far with them. That is why Bill Self won coach of the year in the Big XII, our talent was the weakest it has been in years, yet we're a team contending for the final four. No one would have thought we were going that far; in fact, some pundits thought we were not even going to make the NCAA tournament this year altogether. Yet Self has created an effective offense this year. The same could be said for Coach K albeit a little less so, but both coaches are great because they constantly have good teams every year and never have "building years" and such. Every year these coaches turn lemons into lemonade. This is also why Shaka over at VCU is a great coach, even better than Calapari.

This is where you can make a case against Calapari not being one of the greatest coaches out there. He relies on talent more than coaching skill to get his teams far. He is not as good at turning lemons into lemonade. But he can get a good lemonade mix at the grocery store and make some good lemonade from there.

And yes, Calapari is an asshole.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:14 pm
Extraordinary

Quote:
This is where you can make a case against Calapari not being one of the greatest coaches out there. He relies on talent more than coaching skill to get his teams far. He is not as good at turning lemons into lemonade. But he can get a good lemonade mix at the grocery store and make some good lemonade from there.

You said perfectly. I agree Calapari is great at finding talent, and he has relied on that talent to win. Of course that may mean that he is willing to break the rules like he did at Memphis and UMASS.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

My phrasing was off. I know that coaching matters, but it seems the "great coaches" get outcoached by unknowns all the time, just as great players get outplayed. Everything seems to be random.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:23 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
My phrasing was off. I know that coaching matters, but it seems the "great coaches" get outcoached by unknowns all the time, just as great players get outplayed. Everything seems to be random.

I think that is the nature of one game and your out. It does make it more random and unpredictable.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I think Kentucky can be beat. They have weaknesses and Calipari really isn't that good of a coach and has shown his stupidity in the tournament before.

I would not be surprised at all if Indiana wins

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:47 pm

I hope they do. The more I think about it, the more I don't like Calapari or Kentucky.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:12 pm
Extraordinary

What he did at Memphis pissed me off the most. I have a friend who went there, and heard about the crap he pulled and how screwed over the program when he left.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next