Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cobra Kai 
Keeping it Light

Post Cobra Kai

So I just watched this first episode, and it's great.

Fri May 11, 2018 1:26 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Cobra Kai
Yes, I did the first two episodes a couple days ago. It was funny, nostalgic and had my attention. I've got to finish the season. Shame on Netflix for not funding this or Hulu or Amazon.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri May 11, 2018 9:51 am
Keeping it Light

It's definitely a very strong product from Youtube. And just mentioning Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, the amount of content available nowadays is just crazy. I don't know the history behind this show, but I think those other providers have just too many things they can invest in.

Fri May 11, 2018 10:39 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Have watched the first two episodes. It's a wonderful continuation of the story from 3 decades as re-introduced through the Johnny Laurence - the original film's "villain". Look forward to watching the rest.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun May 13, 2018 7:53 pm
Keeping it Light

I got the Youtube Red trial after the second episode too, I'm 6 episodes in now, and I'm really into it. It's incredible how well they were able to pick this up from a film trilogy of 30 years ago. Also I think this story wouldn't/ couldn't have worked as some kind of cheapo film sequel, but as this tv series it's aces.

Mon May 14, 2018 2:33 am
now we know

Well, you're expecting less when it's a TV series, plus you're not paying for it, so your bar to see value in it is much, much lower ... hence you're loving it. It was a good move by the producers to not make it into a film for that reason alone, because it would have tanked.

Mon May 14, 2018 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, those are valid points to it.

I just finished the last episode, and what makes this so good, is the character development, especially Macchio and Zabka just reprise their roles perfectly building upon what was established from the first Karate Kid film. And there's some nice performances from the young actors in it too. I found it to be getting a bit melodramatic in the last two episodes, but it's not an overstatement to say this feels like the best show of 2018 to me so far.
It's remarkable what they pulled off really to continue the story of a film of 30 years ago so successfully in the form of this show.
Definitely up for season 2.

Season 1 - A-

Tue May 15, 2018 12:52 pm
Extraordinary

I loved the first season of this. It was nostalgic, funny, cool fights and the back and forth things with Daniel and Johnny was fun. I like Manuel and Daniel's daughter. Not so much a fan of Johnny's kid because he seemed to get pretty good pretty fast whereas Miguel spent weeks or months building to where he got. Completely binge worthy and I think it's rewatchable as well.

#MAGA #KAG!

Wed May 30, 2018 12:49 am
Keeping it Light

nghtvsn wrote:
rewatchable

Yeah, I haven't been able to get enough yet of rewatching clips of it on youtube here and there.

Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 am
now we know

So finally got around to this. Watched the first episode. I highly doubt someone's life would crumble after losing in the final of a teenage karate championship. Jesus, it's a bit of a stretch. He came 2nd. I daren't think how 3rd and 4th place turned out. But despite that, I kind of love this and cannot wait to watch more episodes. It just feels so 80s. The music is awesome. And man, Larusso is one smug cunt. Can't wait for Johnny to wipe the smirk off his face.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Nice, glad you're watching and enjoying it. It works in so many ways, perfect continuation of the film.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:36 am
now we know

The second episode wasn't as good but still fine. I like that it's from Johnny's perspective. Well, not really, but I feel like he is the character we're following and rooting for. I like that about it. There is a lot of unnecessary stuff but then this is television so no wonder. Second episode ended well at least.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:07 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I have to sign up for the free trial to see the next 8 episodes, so I will do that on the weekend. I could probably get them on torrent too if I feel the trial isn't for me.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So I finally watched this. Eh, it's not great TV by any means. The acting is atrocious, the script is even fucking worse, and the fights are lame as fuck (not that they have many fights for a karate show). But in the same way that I used to enjoy shows like Thunder in Paradise and Saved By the Bell, there is also an enjoyment factor to Cobra Kai. I'm not sure what it is. It might be the fact that The Karate Kid was such a big deal in my young life so seeing what happened to these characters years later had an impact, I don't know. There is so much wrong with the show that it sort of becomes right. I don't want to say it's so bad that it's good, because I vehemently disagree with that perspective. I also don't want to say it's a guilty pleasure, because I do not believe such a thing should exist. But Cobra Kai is something special of a TV programme where nothing is really done well but it still keeps you watching.

It's funny that they are so good at fighting in the tournament because none of them ever actually faced another person before. All they did was stand in a dojo being shouted at or shadow karate'd. And you never see any real karate training. It's as if everyone already knows the moves and holds and such, and all they need are words of encouragement. DON'T BE A PUSSY! STRIKE HARD, STRIKE FIRST! And there you have it...a champion karate fighter. Ralph Macchio is the worst actor living today, I am sure of that. And his character is a PRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK. I was rooting for Lawrence all along and I'm glad he won. I'd watch a series 2 if they make one. The Martin Kove final scene is great, lol.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Lucky for you, a series/season 2 is coming.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 pm
now we know

Cool.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm also looking forward to Season 2. The first season had its weak spots, but overall I thought it was a really well done followup to the movies and I found it thoroughly entertaining.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:27 pm
now we know

I suppose one of the best thing about it is something that stuffp mentioned in person ... just the fact that it exists, they fucking did it...they produced a follow-up series to The Karate Kid movies more than 30 years later. It's just incredible that it exists, and even more so that it was not killed by critics.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Season 2 is out!

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:50 am
Extraordinary

More stuff to stream !

#MAGA #KAG!

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:13 am
Keeping it Light

Season 2 is just as good as the first one for me. Love the general 80's vibe and all the throwback to the films, was not sure how they would fit Kreese in, but they did so perfectly and also Tory is a great addition. Just all around really enjoyable, look forward to more, one more season with this cast would be great.

Season 2 - A-

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:03 am
now we know

Shit, that was fast. I'll download them soon.

Tue May 07, 2019 4:57 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Season 2 felt flawed specially the middle half with a lot of script manipulation but it lands the ending very well. I will be up for another season.

Tue May 07, 2019 5:06 am
Forum General

Yep I am so down for a Season 3 after that ending. Overall I think I enjoyed it just as much as Season 1 even with all the melodrama. If they can actually get Elizabeth Shue back that would be even more awesome.

Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 pm
now we know

The second season is way better than the first. It's way more fun. They really went for it in terms of ludicrousness and 80s-ness. I enjoyed all the references, and not only that but this season was fucking hilarious! I laughed out loud so much. It's just a real pleasure to watch. I liked how it didn't culminate in another karate tournament, but instead a brawl at school. Oh, and Stingray is a legend.

Daniel Larusso is still a prick. I firmly believe that Ralph Macchio thinks his character is liked because he was the protagonist in the films, but I think most people can see in this show that he's a fucking moron that always makes a situation worse with his overbearing parenting style and pride. He's a little weasel. This show is all about Johnny.

I really hope for the third season they bring back Thomas Ian Griffith. He was my favourite one from the original films. The noise he makes was great!

Robby and Samantha are still the worst characters, and played by the worst actors. But everyone else is cheesy in a good way. The new girl is excellent. Hot and seems to be able to really kick ass. None of this pretending bullshit with Larusso's daughter.

Thu May 09, 2019 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next