Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Children of Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109

Children of Men 
Forum General

Post Re: Children of Men
Oh please 1984 is better then Children of Men as a vision of our future (talking about the book, Children of Men was a better film of course)

The effect that the book 1984 had on our society is 100000000X greater then Children of Men.

The whole concept of "Big Brother" comes from the book.

Other popular phrases are doublethink, thought police, Telescreen, Ministry Of Love, Room 101, Rats Cage.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Quote:
a lot of old films are rubbish compared to the new.

I thought that once my friend.

However I learned that it does not matter how old (okay after 1940) and new something is, if it made well it will be respected and admired for all time.

Sure we may consider these old films overrated but there is something in those films that even 30-50-70 years latter make them relevant and popular.

Sure you guys hate or find The Godfather over rated but tell me if it sucks why is it so popular even today...

Sure a film like Vertigo is over 50 years old now, but it is still a beautiful and timeless film even today. I think very few films were as beautifully as that film.

So, I respect good, great film from any time and imo any good lover of cinema should as well.

I think you're wrong. Any film made before 1980 just feels so unevolved in comparison to what came after. Vertigo's a good film - for it's time. But can you honestly say you'd rather watch Vertigo than, say, Rocky IV?

I'm not saying that films before 1980 didn't have things to say that were important, or that they didn't inform modern filmmaking techniques, just that comparing the two is like comparing Dickens to caveman drawings.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:51 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
Mannyisthebest wrote:
Quote:

However I learned that it does not matter how old (okay after 1940) and new something is, if it made well it will be respected and admired for all time.

Sure we may consider these old films overrated but there is something in those films that even 30-50-70 years latter make them relevant and popular.

Sure you guys hate or find The Godfather over rated but tell me if it sucks why is it so popular even today...

Sure a film like Vertigo is over 50 years old now, but it is still a beautiful and timeless film even today. I think very few films were as beautifully as that film.

So, I respect good, great film from any time and imo any good lover of cinema should as well.

I think you're wrong. Any film made before 1980 just feels so unevolved in comparison to what came after. Vertigo's a good film - for it's time. But can you honestly say you'd rather watch Vertigo than, say, Rocky IV?

I'm not saying that films before 1980 didn't have things to say that were important, or that they didn't inform modern filmmaking techniques, just that comparing the two is like comparing Dickens to caveman drawings.

Ehmmm...a joke, right?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:53 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Quality equals influence in the lexicon and popular culture? GOT IT.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:55 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

bABALINA wrote:
nebs can you delete this thread and make sure it never shows up ever again.

Ignore this, Nebs. Please merge the discussions. Thanks again.

xxx

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:56 pm
Killing With Kindness

The Dark Knight will still top, your attempts are futile.

Profile WWW
Forum General

Quote:

Did you just call Hitchcock films Caveman drawings???

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Sure the techniques are outdated but trust me great acting and great directing never gets dated.

Sure a film like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is very dated, but James Stewart performance is still something that impresses you 69 years latter.

Last edited by Mannyisthebest on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

BJ wrote:
The Dark Knight will still top, your attempts are futile.

Top what? What are you talking about?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:57 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

snack wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Mannyisthebest wrote:
Quote:

Ehmmm...a joke, right?

Given the choice, I'd watch Rocky IV over any Hitchcock film any day of the week. And I suspect you would too...

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:58 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Quote:

Did you just call Hitchcock films Caveman drawings???

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

He was a great director for his time, but other filmmakers have built on his style and ideas to the point that it renders many of his films redundant. They're good to watch as a history lesson, like, "this is what inspired filmmakers to make films like Disturbia, or Rocky IV", but as entertainment, they're a bit antiquated.

In other words, his films are now easier to analyse than enjoy.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:01 pm
loyalfromlondon

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Oh please 1984 is better then Children of Men as a vision of our future (talking about the book, Children of Men was a better film of course)

The effect that the book 1984 had on our society is 100000000X greater then Children of Men.

The whole concept of "Big Brother" comes from the book.

Other popular phrases are doublethink, thought police, Telescreen, Ministry Of Love, Room 101, Rats Cage.

Thanks for the book report, professor.

@Nebs: Sorry about that, I'll try and refrain from using insults and stick to what I do best: witty sarcasm. Sound good?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:02 pm
Forum General

How can you love a dark, complicated film like Children of Men and then say that time pass films are better then Hitchcock films???

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

And Dan Brown versus Dickens? NO CONTEST. Think of all the advatages in typing and printing technologies. Dickens, that bitch, probably wrote by hand and misplaced entire passages 'cause he didn't have a hard drive.

Don't even get me started on the ways Brown utilizes modern slang and stuff...things I know! Dickens, with his old English language rhythms...what a pussy.

Anyway, Snrub, I know you're just pushing buttons. But I also think people's brains do work in such a fashion. Don't encourage them.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:03 pm
Forum General

All I can see we have such a great disagreement that it is of no use to debate this topic any further.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Mannyisthebest wrote:
How can you love a dark, complicated film like Children of Men and then say that time pass films are better then Hitchcock films???

It's objective, obviously, but I believe that filming techniques themselves and the [i]language[i] of film has evolved from decade to decade. To the point that films by Hitchcock et al have become fairly redundant.

Which isn't to say they aren't still relevant, just that they're more relevant as markers for how far we've come in terms of film narrative.

My position is that films like Children of Men are far more challenging intellectually and filmically (if that's even a word) than something like The Birds because they've built on, and improved, the styles and primitive designs of what came before - i.e., Hitchcock, et al.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:09 pm
Forum General

Quote:
Quality equals influence in the lexicon and popular culture? GOT IT.

no it does not, and my mistake for implying that.

I have read both books and no doubt Children of Men is a great book but it does not shock you or really disturb you and it really it does not change you.

However after reading 1984 it freaked me out and has totally changed my views on certain topics. It is a book that i have read twice and it is much more complicated and a better book in all ways.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Snrub wrote:
Mannyisthebest wrote:

It's objective, obviously, but I believe that filming techniques themselves and the [i]language[i] of film has evolved from decade to decade. To the point that films by Hitchcock et al have become fairly redundant.

Which isn't to say they aren't still relevant, just that they're more relevant as markers for how far we've come in terms of film narrative.

My position is that films like Children of Men are far more challenging intellectually and filmically (if that's even a word) than something like The Birds because they've built on, and improved, the styles and primitive designs of what came before - i.e., Hitchcock, et al.

In terms of the nuts and bolts of the technology we use? Oh yeah. Advanced.

In terms of storytelling, ingenuity, and all the other stuff that really matters? Nonsense.

And, anyway, what's so superior, entertainment-wise or otherwise-wise, about a bad, heavy take (say, Disturbia) on terrific, sleeker, wittier material (Rear Window)?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:14 pm
Forum General

however you can build up all you want and advance all you like, but it is all for nothing if it is not executed well especially the fundamentals.

You can have all of the special effects you want but if the acting sucks the film sucks.

Anyways, as dystopian films I think Gattaca and this is are just as good as A Clockwork Orange.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

yoshue wrote:
And Dan Brown versus Dickens? NO CONTEST. Think of all the advatages in typing and printing technologies. Dickens, that bitch, probably wrote by hand and misplaced entire passages 'cause he didn't have a hard drive.

Don't even get me started on the ways Brown utilizes modern slang and stuff...things I know! Dickens, with his old English language rhythms...what a pussy.

Anyway, Snrub, I know you're just pushing buttons. But I also think people's brains do work in such a fashion. Don't encourage them.

Comparing books and film is a bad analogy. Yes modern technology has made the process of writing easier, but the format remains the same. Film is a different entity entirely. It's in early days, still evolving as a language, so the caveman drawing analogy is completely apt.

As to pushing buttons... it's so bloody easy! It feels like i'm being drawn in by the dark side with every post. I don't even agree with 90% of what i've said in the last 5 pages.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

yoshue wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Mannyisthebest wrote:

In terms of the nuts and bolts of the technology we use? Oh yeah. Advanced.

In terms of storytelling, ingenuity, and all the other stuff that really matters? Nonsense.

And, anyway, what's so superior, entertainment-wise or otherwise-wise, about a bad, heavy take (say, Disturbia) on terrific, sleeker, wittier material (Rear Window)?

What makes Rear Window more terrific, sleek or witty than Disturbia?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:24 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Snrub wrote:
yoshue wrote:

Comparing books and film is a bad analogy. Yes modern technology has made the process of writing easier, but the format remains the same. Film is a different entity entirely. It's in early days, still evolving as a language, so the caveman drawing analogy is completely apt.

As to pushing buttons... it's so bloody easy! It feels like i'm being drawn in by the dark side with every post. I don't even agree with 90% of what i've said in the last 5 pages.

Try to fight those urges or, next thing you know, you're the message board equivalent of Buffalo Bill from that Jodie Foster movie. One second you're lambasting all movies made before a arbitrary cut-off point. The next, you're wearing coats made of the skin of some of our female posters.

OMG...you're maverikk. :whaa:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 pm
loyalfromlondon

As long as Snrub steers clear of Donner vs. Bunuel debates, I think we're okay.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm
Kypade

Greatest movie of all time. Every time.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Hmm, Snrub, the devil is just five pages back.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

i think im going to watch this movie some time.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next