Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 Children of Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 72%  72%  [ 79 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 109

Children of Men 
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Post Re: Children of Men
Shack wrote:
Also adding to Snrub's post, the title Children of Men can kind of be seen as a play on "Children of God"

Honestly, I think you could see it from both sides, as seen by the fact that the origin of the baby is never explained. For a person of faith in CoM's future, the baby could be seen as a modern day blessing of god, a jesus and saviour of the human race. For someone like Theo, who doesn't trust giving the baby to the world because he doesn't trust the idea of a baby saviour to override natural evil human behaviour, or doesn't believe in god because of the mess the non-fertile world turned into under his watch, the baby does not belong to god, it belongs to his mother and should grow in private in the seclusion of a group that believes in his humans first side. The movie never really specifies whether the baby is an act of god or just scientific luck, and leaving it up to interpretation and discussions like these debating the two sides of the science-god coin is just the point.

Or something like that.

edit: Box beat me to it :mad:

I'd say the film ideologically comes down on the side of science the moment it makes the joke about Kee's baby being a virgin birth. It purposefully makes the audience think for a split second that a higher power might be responsible before immediately dismissing such an idea as ridiculous.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:06 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:
As for you, Zingaling, I've just about given up on you. While taste itself is entirely subjective, I think I can honestly say that you have none when it comes to film.

Heh, okay?

If I actually cared what anyone on a movie forum filled with film snobs thought of my taste in film, I guess I'd be upset by that? But, honestly, I don't. For the record, I find CoM to be a solid film (B-ish); I just cannot understand the love for it. I'm not alone in that sentiment either, so...whatever. But at least it's closer to it than The New World. You or anyone else thinking that my taste sucks is irrelevant to me because, frankly, I think the same about most of you (that some people here are farrrr too involved in dissecting a film instead of trying to enjoy it for what it is, and stuff like that). :thumbsup:

That said, I still like you, Snrub. Chill out, though. I'm allowed to not like (or like less, because I still enjoyed CoM) what you do like.

You'd be allowed to not like what I like if what you didn't like had any rhyme or reason to it, but frankly your taste baffles me. I imagine you're the kind of guy who pretends to like critically panned films just to go against the grain.

Hardly. I like tons of critically acclaimed films. I don't prefer them always over other films, but I do like tons of films that are considered great films.

Yeah, "critically acclaimed" was a bad choice of phrase. I guess what I meant was you always seem to like films that internet people hate, and dislike films that internet people adore.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:08 pm
loyalfromlondon

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
1984 > Children of Men....yes I went there.

If you're referring to the movie version of 1984, then you're a moron, as it's a giant turd.

If you're referring to the book, then you're also a moron, because you can't compare two different art forms like that. I love the novel as well, but to qualify it against a film is foolish and wrong.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:09 pm
Forum General

You had to create this thread,

Its not in my top 100, but it is a great film but overated.

The pacing of the film really pissed me off and really they should have expanded more on how the future looks like.

I do not see what makes this film a so called "Modern Classic"

There is nothing breathtaking/iconic or spectacular about it, it is disturbing.

Profile WWW
Sbil

I thought it was a good film, but most certainly not the masterpiece it's made out to be around these parts. Just what I think.

Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
Shack wrote:
Also adding to Snrub's post, the title Children of Men can kind of be seen as a play on "Children of God"

It's a quote from the Bible.

Quote:

Oh, that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
- Psalms (ch. CVII, v. 21)

Again, that's an (unfortunate) handover from the book (distinctly religious) to the film (had to take the title). It means nothing with regards to the thematic intentions of the film.

The Lubitsch Touch

Oh, lord, is this nowheresville argument rearing its ugly head again?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:10 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
I'd say the film ideologically comes down on the side of science the moment it makes the joke about Kee's baby being a virgin birth. It purposefully makes the audience think for a split second that a higher power might be responsible before immediately dismissing such an idea as ridiculous.

How do the other characters react when they hear the baby cry? This is irrespective of what Cuaron or the film 'thinks', but is it not a miracle birth to them? I mean, there might be a joke about it being a virgin birth, yes, but there is no question that, from the perspective of the film, the birth of Kee's baby would be the most miraculous since that of Jesus. If it is not an outright miracle, it assumes qualities that render it nevertheless miraculous, the most significant of which is its extraordinariness. It's the only birth in an infertile world. For all intents and purposes, it is a miracle.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Also... Theo... theology... that's not a coincidence right? I guess if it was introduced in the book though, not that I've read it...

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:13 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:
Box wrote:
Shack wrote:

It's a quote from the Bible.

Quote:

Oh, that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
- Psalms (ch. CVII, v. 21)

Again, that's an (unfortunate) handover from the book (distinctly religious) to the film (had to take the title). It means nothing with regards to the thematic intentions of the film.

Why unfortunate? I find it haunting, actually.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Snrub wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:
As for you, Zingaling, I've just about given up on you. While taste itself is entirely subjective, I think I can honestly say that you have none when it comes to film.

Heh, okay?

If I actually cared what anyone on a movie forum filled with film snobs thought of my taste in film, I guess I'd be upset by that? But, honestly, I don't. For the record, I find CoM to be a solid film (B-ish); I just cannot understand the love for it. I'm not alone in that sentiment either, so...whatever. But at least it's closer to it than The New World. You or anyone else thinking that my taste sucks is irrelevant to me because, frankly, I think the same about most of you (that some people here are farrrr too involved in dissecting a film instead of trying to enjoy it for what it is, and stuff like that). :thumbsup:

That said, I still like you, Snrub. Chill out, though. I'm allowed to not like (or like less, because I still enjoyed CoM) what you do like.

You'd be allowed to not like what I like if what you didn't like had any rhyme or reason to it, but frankly your taste baffles me. I imagine you're the kind of guy who pretends to like critically panned films just to go against the grain.

Hardly. I like tons of critically acclaimed films. I don't prefer them always over other films, but I do like tons of films that are considered great films.

Yeah, "critically acclaimed" was a bad choice of phrase. I guess what I meant was you always seem to like films that internet people hate, and dislike films that internet people adore.

It's...possible. Not that I do it purposely, but films loved by the internet crowd aren't really my cup of tea? I can say that I liked films like CoM, Mulholland Dr., etc. but I'd never consider them amazing or one of my favorites of all-time. Films like The New World and Donnie Darko (I'm trying to think of other films, nothing's coming to mind), I either find too slow or too weird (so is Mulholland Dr., I guess, but I liked it).

It's no secret that I'm far more mainstream in taste than most people here. Doesn't mean I'm trying to be an asshole about it.

Extraordinary

Shack wrote:
Also... Theo... theology... that's not a coincidence right? I guess if it was introduced in the book though, not that I've read it...

Let's just say that it's about as accidental as Neo's name in The Matrix :D

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Zingaling wrote:
and Donnie Darko

Well, I agree with you on that one. I can't stand it.

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:
Zingaling wrote:
Snrub wrote:

Heh, okay?

It's...possible. Not that I do it purposely, but films loved by the internet crowd aren't really my cup of tea? I can say that I liked films like CoM, Mulholland Dr., etc. but I'd never consider them amazing or one of my favorites of all-time. Films like The New World and Donnie Darko (I'm trying to think of other films, nothing's coming to mind), I either find too slow or too weird (so is Mulholland Dr., I guess, but I liked it).

It's no secret that I'm far more mainstream in taste than most people here. Doesn't mean I'm trying to be an asshole about it.

Well, I disagree. Frankly you DO come across a bit asshole-ish about it.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

I've always been more under the impression that Zingaling's tastes aren't against the internet grain, but intentionally in line with the mainstream audience of males his age. Like saying "yeah, I'm like them... and I like it!"

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:18 pm
Forum General

the best film buff is the one that appreciates the smaller films and loves the good mainstream films.

He likes the old and the new....

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Box wrote:
Snrub wrote:

How do the other characters react when they hear the baby cry? This is irrespective of what Cuaron or the film 'thinks', but is it not a miracle birth to them? I mean, there might be a joke about it being a virgin birth, yes, but there is no question that, from the perspective of the film, the birth of Kee's baby would be the most miraculous since that of Jesus. If it is not an outright miracle, it assumes qualities that render it nevertheless miraculous, the most significant of which is its extraordinariness. It's the only birth in an infertile world. For all intents and purposes, it is a miracle.

Yes Kee's baby is a miraculous birth, but the film grounds said miracle in reality. It's a miracle by chance, not by divine intervention. Kee's child is not God's child, it's man's. In many ways the "miracle birth" of Kee's child only re-affirms the film's central conceit that God is fiction.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Mannyisthebest wrote:
the best film buff is the one that appreciates the smaller films and loves the good mainstream films.

He likes the old and the new....

That may be true, but you've got to admit... a lot of old films are rubbish compared to the new.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:25 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

yoshue wrote:
Oh, lord, is this nowheresville argument rearing its ugly head again?

Agreed, I think it's time this thread was merged with the Everyone's a Critic thread on Children of Men.

Mods?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:26 pm
Extraordinary

Best Picture of 2006. Robbed at the Oscars.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:35 pm
Profile WWW

Come on trixster, please do not go there, no matter what people say.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Nebs wrote:
Come on trixster, please do not go there, no matter what people say.

Nebs, could you merge this thread with the Children of Men critic's thread? I stupidly didn't check to see if such a topic already existed, and, well, here we are.

Much appreciated. Cheers. You're doing a great job.

Lots of love,

Snrub xx

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:44 pm
Forum General

Quote:
a lot of old films are rubbish compared to the new.

I thought that once my friend.

However I learned that it does not matter how old (okay after 1940) and new something is, if it made well it will be respected and admired for all time.

Sure we may consider these old films overrated but there is something in those films that even 30-50-70 years latter make them relevant and popular.

Sure you guys hate or find The Godfather over rated but tell me if it sucks why is it so popular even today...

Sure a film like Vertigo is over 50 years old now, but it is still a beautiful and timeless film even today. I think very few films were as beautifully as that film.

So, I respect good, great film from any time and imo any good lover of cinema should as well.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

trixster wrote:
Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
1984 > Children of Men....yes I went there.

If you're referring to the movie version of 1984, then you're a moron, as it's a giant turd.

If you're referring to the book, then you're also a moron, because you can't compare two different art forms like that. I love the novel as well, but to qualify it against a film is foolish and wrong.

And if you're referring to the calendar year, then you're still a moron, because 1984 introduced The Cosby Show.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:46 pm
Commander and Chef

nebs can you delete this thread and make sure it never shows up ever again.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next