Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Tulsa King (Paramount+) 
now we know

Post Tulsa King (Paramount+)
I just finished this and think it deserves its own thread, particularly since it's been renewed for a second season.

So ... I very much enjoyed Tulsa King. You don't know what it's like as a Stallone fan to watch something he's made and be impressed and entertained. There's always the possibility that his projects are another Backtrace, so I do not get as excited upon hearing the news of forthcoming films or series anymore. But this pleasantly bucked that trend. So much so that I genuinely feel this is an iconic feature of the Stallone career now. Obviously Rocky and Rambo are unreachable, but I feel Tulsa King definitely feels as important as The Expendables or Demolition Man. Even if it's not, and it's arguable, at least it's a well-funded, competently produced series with pedigree behind it that can stand on its own as a respectable entity. It's no Homeland or Succession in terms of my obsession/eagerness to binge it, but it's also no Cobra Kai. It's, I suppose quite unsurprisingly, like Yellowstone but with Stallone instead of Costner, and that makes it a very pleasant watch. I was actually a bit disappointed it only had nine episodes, and they're only 30-40 minutes each.

I thought Stallone was great in it. The show isn't high on names (the biggest star besides Stallone is probably Garrett Hedlund) but here's hoping they up the ante a bit for the return series. It's set up nicely for a second series, too, with "Chickie" most likely being the main antagonist. I also thought the inclusion of his daughter, Sophia, wasn't too bad. I wouldn't be too upset if she comes back and has a larger role in the second series. Oh, and the final episode and its use of "In the Air Tonight" was pretty cool.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Tulsa King (Paramount+)
Yeah, agree with all that. It's a good show, it's not quite great due to it being a bit light on its feet with the overall story and the characters dynamics, though I like the supporting cast. But production quality is solid and every episode has also some amount of grittiness that make it standout and keep it engaging from episode to episode. And it's indeed a pretty surprising turn from Stallone actually considering most of his roles in the last 10 year. It's the type of leading role he hasn't had for a long time and he nails it. Definitely anticipating a second season.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:14 pm
now we know

Post Re: Tulsa King (Paramount+)
Stallone has also had a rocky road in terms of breaking into TV, so it's nice for him to have success. He basically didn't bother with TV until around 2006 with The Contender reality series, which I very much enjoyed actually, but that seemed to go downhill fast after what was a memorable first season. He's had an unpicked pilot called Father Lefty, a few cameos in Las Vegas and This Is Us, and then more reality shows; Strong and Ultimate Beastmaster. It's slim pickings, but now with Tulsa King and his forthcoming Family Stallone reality TV series - the Osbournes-esque (though I'm sure it will be more highly-curated) series that focuses on him and his daughters - he's having a well earned late-career renaissance.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 01, 2023 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]