Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 The Idol (HBO) 
Devil's Advocate

Post The Idol (HBO)
Don't mind the first two episodes. The directing is pretty stylish, I like Lily-Rose Depp, and while the Weeknd isn't much of an actor, I like where the storyline went this episode with the other members of his troupe and their plan. The shut up and dance manager played by Jane Adams is fun too.

Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:44 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: The Idol (HBO)
Jane Adams! I had no idea who that was but makes sense now. Remember her from her days playing Niles' girlfriend/wife on Frasier.

Yeah I really don't get the hatred for this at all. Euphoria was a teen drama by way of HBO. This is a primetime soap by way of HBO. No problem with that at all. Yeah it's trashy as fuck. Probably repulsive. But it's highly watchable. And Lily-Rose Depp is terrific. Not bad for someone who's career started playing opposite Kevin Smith's daughter in his Tusk/Yoga Hosers double feature.

Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:28 am
Extraordinary

I think it's pretty strange so far. It kinda gives me Showgirls vibes at times lol

Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:55 pm
New Server, Same X

You're right, it's totally awesome like Showgirls

Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:24 pm
Devil's Advocate

The dinner table scene was great

Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:21 pm
Extraordinary

Curious about how the original version of this show was... as is it's a fucking mess.

I don't see this getting another season.

World Class Sinner is genuinely a bop though.

Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:49 pm
Devil's Advocate

The power shift of Xander saying that Jocelyn is in more control than she looks, and then her proving it by cucking Tedros (and probably getting her revenge on the cheating ex boyfriend as she knows Tedros will destroy him out of jealousy) was great.

I feel better about the Weeknd's performance than in the first two episodes.

I like the show but I'm a little bit worried about Sam Levinson deciding 3 weeks ago he wanted to edit together the 5th and 6th episodes or something.

Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:57 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

"Euphoria" is one of my favorite TV shows and I generally like Sam Levinson, but this was truly one of the worst TV shows I've ever had the experience of watching all the way through having just seen the finale.

Staggeringly awful, boring and pointless. The talent show scene in the finale is one of the worst scenes in television history.

Rachel Sennott and DaVine Joy Randolph are the only ones who didn't embarrass themselves completely here.

Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:48 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

I'm not sure if a show about a sociopathic pop star manipulating everyone around her feels as real or interesting to me as music industry and con man taking advantage of a broken pop star, but overall still an entertaining season and finale, and I'd be interested in season 2 with full villain mode Jocelyn.

Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:23 pm
Extraordinary

The finale was awful lol

I think had the dynamic between Jocelyn and Tedros been more dynamic the end of the episode would've felt more effective but the execution of their relationship, which the show hinges on, was bad. This needed a writer to make it better. I don't give a fuck about Tedros's artists lol

Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:19 am
New Server, Same X

I loved the show for how bizarre it was. I don't know was I genuinely into whatever they were trying to pull off, or was I just attracted to the trainwreck of it all?

But I felt a lot different towards the finale. It felt incredibly rushed and thrown together. There's no way that sudden announcement of "oh jk there were only 5 eps all along!" was real from the start. It felt really all over the place, and that's saying a lot.

I highly doubt we're getting a second season. Maybe it wasn't meant to have one. While I think Sam Levinson has provided us with two extremely interesting and colorful series, he also seems like he is wildly unchecked by anyone and needs some sort of team to rein him in.

Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]