Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SNL 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: SNL 45
Shack wrote:
Like the new guy's Biden more than Carrey

I'm so glad SNL went back to someone who does a solid and funny impersonation, and not just "Hey it's whacky Jim Carrey playing a whacky Joe Biden!". The new guy was excellent throughout the whole show.

I know I say this every year, but I seriously wish some of the veterans would leave. As much as I like a lot of them, I want to see what the new cast could do. It feels like there's an outstanding cast just being choked out by a few people that don't want to risk failure outside of SNL.

Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:46 pm
Superfreak

Credit to the writers because Kim kardashians opening was HILARIOUS

Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:55 pm
New Server, Same X

Kim was fine, but I'm not into giving any Kardashians a legitimate platform (though many would argue SNL hasn't been a legit platform for years). Especially in 2021. At least six, seven years ago, I could understand it.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 pm
The Kramer

I feel like SNL is mostly written for women now, so bringing in social influencers like the Kardashians is a decent way to boost ratings.

Glad they have an original cast member playing Biden. Giving all the good parts to A-list celebs kinda ruined the mojo of this current generation's cast. They just don't look like real stars. Kate McKinnon should have left years ago, and been several years into her own show (or second show if the first one failed) but now she (and everyone else) seem destined to be there forever. Can't remember the star of the show ever clinging on to it for so long. Since I've been watching; Ferrell, Fallon, Poehler, Wiig, Hader, Samberg, etc.. all left at appropriate times and their careers benefitted from it. Now everyone is a Darrell Hammond, Horatio Sanz or Keenan Thompson.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:22 pm
New Server, Same X

I honestly don't get why they don't feel compelled to leave. Kate, Cecily and Aidy are in their 10th seasons on the show. 9th for Kyle Mooney. 8th (!) for Pete Davidson. I understand not wanting to fail, but... Kenan has his own sitcom now. Cecily and Aidy have shows. SNL should be about launching careers, not maintaining them. People like Heidi Gardner, Alex Moffatt, Mikey Day, they cannot break out with so many veterans there.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

It would help if there was better comedy projects out there in film or tv at this stage.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack wrote:
It would help if there was better comedy projects out there in film or tv at this stage.

But I thought in last 5-8 years there have been good comedy projects and has been a golden age for small screen.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:31 pm
The Kramer

Sudeikis made $500k per episode for the first season of Lasso, before Apple knew it would be a hit. No reason McKinnon shouldn't be getting those checks instead of doing verizon commercials.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:39 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

^ That's what I thought as well. There are good options on streaming platforms and small screens in general are on boom even if the traditional TV is dying.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Shack wrote:

But I thought in last 5-8 years there have been good comedy projects and has been a golden age for small screen.

Film comedy is pretty weak compared to previous eras imo. For TV the last 10-15 years were great yes, not sure if I like the most recent shows as much, I still think networks does comedies the best.

Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm
New Server, Same X

SNL launching into film careers is dead, I agree with that. They haven't made a film star since Will Ferrell. Kristen Wiig was on the cusp, but I feel like the film path failed her. In the 70s through the 90s, film was a huge deal and TV was thought of as lesser. SNL was on TV, why stay on TV when film was a step up?

But let's be fair, TV is as good or better now. I'm not sure why more aren't going that path. Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis have three Emmys between them for their own shows in the last few years.

I've said it the last few years, but it's more true than ever: there is a solid cast on SNL that's getting choked out by people who won't leave. And I'm aware people will break through, Bowen Yang is proof after getting an Emmy nomination. But it should be all about the new stars.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:59 pm
New Server, Same X

Actually it's crazy how it made EVERYONE who wanted it a film star years ago. The fact that David Spade and Rob Schneider had viable film careers, at least for a few years, is proof. I like Spade and Schneider, but they would never be film stars if they were trying to break into Hollywood now.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Spade's The Wrong Missy was one of Netflix's biggest releases ever last year. Spade has had a very successful career, and his stand up has really blown up recently. Bummed his show got axed because of the pandemic, was definitely one of the better late night shows.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:47 pm
New Server, Same X

His late night show was made for a certain group, like myself, who more or less hate every other late night show on the air currently. It was destined for failure sadly.

I have to admit, I thought the first three episodes of SNL so far have been... not half bad. It's not classic SNL territory, but it felt better than what I've seen in the last few years. As much as I hate seeing so many veterans, most of the newer talent has been showcased properly. There are still a few I'm barely seeing, but I'm appreciating the effort.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:36 pm
Devil's Advocate

Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:31 pm
The Kramer

The new Trump they have is very funny. The way he incoherently bounces between subjects cracks me up.

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:03 am
Extraordinary

I know it's SNL 49 but only thread I could find.

Next hosts have been announced:

APRIL 6
Kristen Wiig
Raye

APRIL 13
Ryan Gosling
Chris Stapleton

That's going to be a big month. Wiig is always fun and Gosling doing SNL is a good sign for buzz to pick up for The Fall Guy post Barbie/Oscars. He hasn't hosted in 7 years.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: SNL
I'll change the title

Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2