Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix) 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender (Netflix)
Full cast is now available:

Spoiler: show

Seems they're introducing Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai earlier than their debuts in the animated show. (Azula is the only one in season one, in a flashback and then at the very end).

Very funny that James Sie is playing the Cabbage man. He voiced him in the animated show!

And George Takei is also returning, voicing Koh this time. He had a small role in the animated show, voicing the Fire Nation warden in the episode where Katara motivates the earth bending prisoners on the warship.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

As a live-action adaptation for this series, CGI and special effects are the most crucial factors to secure success. I was a big fan of the original anime series, but Night Shyamalan ruined it with his movie.

I don't know much about the young actors and actresses for main roles. However, they casted veteran actors/actresses for supporting roles. Let's hope Netflix handles this time well.

Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:26 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

The trailer looks solid, but the comments made about how they've made some important character detail changes is concerning.

Aang is going to be quest-driven from the start. But... his character is reluctant to be the Avatar, and he still wants to be a kid and do kid things early on, so...

Sokka isn't going to think female warriors are inferior to him or show sexist behavior. But... his character learns this isn't true and he ends up growing from it, and it makes him a better person.

Katara won't display the female gender roles (presumably hot she knits and acts motherly) in the cartoon. But... this is important because of how she lost her mother young and stepped in to fill that role for Sokka (who even mentions he can only remember Katara, not their mother, as a kid).

Like, these aren't problematic issues that needed removed. I understand fixing or removing issues that go unaddressed, but removing an issue that already gets fixed in the cartoon isn't the way to do it. The cartoon displays issues and then the characters go on a journey to make themselves better. It does a very, very good job as this. It's character development.

So it sounds like they've gone the serious, dramatic route and stripped much of the character growth (and likely humor). Going to still watch it, but a bit worried they're going to drop the ball with character development. I bet this is why the creators ended up leaving the project.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:15 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I'd be more worried about Avatar, but Netflix really hit with the One Piece and Scott Pilgrim adaptations last year. Along with Beef, they had all 3 of 2023s best shows. So someone over there must know what they're doing and how volatile the fanbase will be if they mess this up.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:58 am
Romosexual!

At first I was pissed about the changes but thinking more about it I understand. They're not making shot for shot live action version of the animated show. We don't like it when that happens (see The Lion King). They are changing things and adding things. I just need to relax and see what they made. :D just from the trailers it's already A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THE MOVIE!

Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:16 am
The Kramer

Beginning of the first episode was very serious and I was worried they had learned nothing from the M Night version. By the end I thought it was wonderful. Humor happened when it was needed. They did a great job with the casting, production and fx.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:27 am
The Kramer

My
My
My cabbages!!!!!!!

This is playing more like a CW show than I imagined it would. Still enjoying it, but I get why the reviews are low.

Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:17 am
Romosexual!

I'm 3 episodes in and so far so good :D no complaint
showing what happened to the southern air temple was dark and glad they did.

Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:58 am
The Kramer

Definitely needed more than 8 episodes. One in between the pilot and the Kiyoshi Warriors, one more in the North Pole and what happened to Earth Bender Camp Uprising episode? Felt like Zuko was the only one who got all of his key scenes from the original show.

I liked the show as I was watching it, but now that its over I found myself unsatisfied. I need more right now. Waiting two years for Book Two ain't gonna work.

Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2