Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: The Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead
The show is having a major turnaround in the wake of Rick's departure. Really enjoyed the last two episodes. The blizzard made things exciting and different for the finale.

The dialogue... is still atrocious at times. They don't seem to know how to have characters interact with each other in a believable way. But the show is really good right now.

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:47 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm very intrigued where they go with the Carol/Lydia stuff. Seems like Carol is going to see herself in Lydia (the whole people telling her she's not worth anything, etc)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 am
Pure Phase

They mostly ruined Fear... after season three. The introduction of Morgan and the subsequent rapid removal of most of the original cast turned it into a tired retread of its parent show's later seasons. In my mind, I almost the dam-explosion episode as the end of Fear the Walking Dead proper.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

So a few things about Fear... Season 3 was an absolute masterpiece. It was so unique, so well thought out. One of my favorite seasons of television, period.

Season 4 was pretty good! Not nearly as good as 3, but that's hard to do. I thought the addition of Elfman, Grace, and Dillahunt all mostly worked! As much as I like Morgan, it wasn't a great fit, but it could work over time. I thought killing off both Dickens and Dillane was a mistake. Especially Dillane.

Season 5 has been... a retread, as you said. It's watchable, but it's missing everything I loved about S3. Debnam-Carey is still a bright spot. And I do still enjoy the Elfman/Grace/Dillahunt combo. I just... bleh. The showrunners don't inspire confidence (especially with Gimple around).

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:18 am
New Server, Same X

If the show existed without The Walking Dead, I'd say it's a subpar zombie series. But against all the flaws of the mothership, I find myself more drawn to Fear and its characters, especially Alicia. She's probably one of the best female characters the franchise has created (which says very, very little). I hope they don't ruin her with a meaningless romantic storyline, like they do with all female characters on the main series.

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm
New Server, Same X

Anyone see the Season 10 trailer of The Walking Dead? If it wasn't for the fact that I remember liking the show more in the back half of Season 9... I'd feel no reason to watch. The trailer looks like the same shit, different season. They continue to cater to a specific audience with meaningless romances complete absent of any chemistry. The embrace at the end between Michonne and Ezekiel... why?? Will they actually build a proper relationship between them, or will they just be thrown together like everyone else?

My only reason to watch based off the trailer is seeing Negan integrated into the show more. I want to see a good guy Negan.

And...

Spoiler: show
Danai Gurira announced she'll be leaving The Walking Dead. Like Rick and Maggie before her, I'm sure Michonne will be written out instead of getting killed off.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:15 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm still in love with Fear. I binged the last three episodes and I was hooked. The plane sequence was one of the better ones put out by either show. I felt a real sense of urgency and panic during, something I haven't felt from the main show in a long time.

What gets me the most with it are the characters. I'm completely invested in them. Alicia might be one of my favorite characters from both shows, and I'm glad she has taken a bit of a co-leadership role with Morgan. I don't even mind Morgan or Dwight being here, they're a million times better so far than their time on TWD. I feel like both characters are able to breathe a bit on here. But I do hope that's the end of the crossovers. I don't want any more TWD rejects on Fear. They've built up a strong enough base with Alicia, Strand, Luciana and Daniel, not to mention Althea, John and June.

The prime example that they pay better attention to their characters on Fear is the relationship between John and June. It is easily the best one on either show currently. TWD prides itself on randomly throwing two people together with absolutely zero reasoning and even less chemistry, just because they know their remaining audience loves romance I guess. Case in point: Michonne and Ezekiel in the previews. That makes zero sense. A relationship needs to be built, not just thrown at the wall.

I don't know... I'm just more invested in Fear. I know TWD was better in the back half of Season 9, but the preview gave me so little to get excited over. My only reason to watch right now is the continued growth of Negan, which I find fascinating. They throw so much together randomly and hastily on there, but they've actually made it feel like Negan has been repenting for a lifetime for all his sins. Funny that the most genuine moment of that show in the Season 10 trailer is a completely throwaway scene at the end between Daryl and Carol.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:53 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The mid-season finale was very, very great. The plane scene was exhilarating, the entire time. I hope it can keep it up now, and this season has a shot at being better than last. It was a little too inconsistent to start, so it can't match S3, but I like where they're taking certain characters.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I still love the show, and even though Rick is sorely missed, as I think it’s Carl instead of Henry, they really regrouped the last half. Seems like they are just going back to basics which is smart

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 pm
New Server, Same X

I also had no idea the comic book/graphic novel/whatever ended this month. Fairly abruptly too. It would give me hope for the main TV series to have an end game planned, but since there is already a second spinoff in the works (not to mention those Rick movies), they kind of need the main show to continue to get people watching.

If I was personally in charge (and I'm sure they're glad I'm not), I'd take a few key TWD characters and give them their own series and end TWD. A fair way to continue the series without it getting to ridiculous Simpsons-level of season counts.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:13 pm
New Server, Same X

I don't know what happened, but... the back half of Season 5 of Fear was awful. I don't remember anything noteworthy, except that they bounced between two stereotypical villains (at least Matt Frewer is a terrific character actor, so he made the most of his smirking, sneering baddie).

I guess it's the first time where I get the hate for the show. Now Season 6 will predictably cover two separate groups for at least the first half, if not the entire season. Not feeling it anymore. And I really loved Season 4, I thought the show did a lot right with that season, even if they abandoned what the show was about for three seasons.

I'm sure I'll watch Season 6, but I'm not confident in my ability to stick with the whole franchise. It feels like I'm on a sinking ship and there are tons of rescue boats to take me to safety, but I keep thinking the giant hole in the ship will magically fix itself.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:36 am
New Server, Same X

I flipped. Now I'm on TWD train again and feel like if Fear doesn't start strong next season, I'll have to abandon it, which is disappointing. But I like the season so far of TWD. Not a huge fan of Samantha Morton's Alpha. Maybe if she didn't come across like a female Negan, I'd be okay. Just feels like a strong actress chewing the scenery constantly, which is I guess what you expect from the show.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:12 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah ever since they introduced the Whisperers/killed Rick, TWD has been the better of the 2 shows. Bummed by last nights episode.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:34 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I'm relieved, I thought the show was terrible every time it focused on him, and unfortunately it was like half the season.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:56 pm
New Server, Same X

I legit thought we were a week away from the finale. Odd how a half of a half-season of TWD feels like forever. But good episode last night.

Three meaningful deaths in there that had some weight to them, rather than non-characters or a whole bunch of C and D characters. Interesting to see where it goes from there. I still wasn't much a fan of Samantha Morton chewing the scenery. Felt like Negan-Lite with a fake Southern accent.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I thought she was great overall, but got a little tired the last few episodes as she was starting to be written kinda generic? Overall it's been a really good season, with some real standout episodes. Glad we're finally getting back to Michonne.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:28 pm
New Server, Same X

Chippy wrote:
I thought she was great overall, but got a little tired the last few episodes as she was starting to be written kinda generic? Overall it's been a really good season, with some real standout episodes. Glad we're finally getting back to Michonne.

Maybe that's it. I didn't feel much for her as a character. But that's true of 98% of characters on the show. Everyone is just kind of there to say stuff. Very few are distinguishable from the rest. Makes it hard to connect to anyone.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:59 pm
New Server, Same X

In a bit of an unexpected casualty of everything ongoing, the season finale is postponed because post-production wasn't finished on the episode. I admit I don't have much knowledge on what goes into the total process of production for a television series, but I figured the finished product was locked by now, at least this close to the actual airing of the episode.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I believe Nicotero said it usually all starts around 3 weeks to airing, which is right about now.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:35 pm
New Server, Same X

Chippy wrote:
I believe Nicotero said it usually all starts around 3 weeks to airing, which is right about now.

Cool to know at least.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:25 pm
New Server, Same X

About the last Fear episode...

:tears:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2