Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Seinfeld 
The Kramer

Post Re: Seinfeld
Seinfeld will always be one of the best shows ever.

Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:59 am
New Server, Same X

If you love Curb, you'll probably like the later seasons more. Those original seasons really were a show about nothing, but the later seasons have so many plot strands that come together, like on Curb.

Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:20 am
now we know

I've noticed that already. The episodes have recurring storylines, and things come full circle by the end, just like Curb.

I'm up to "The Cheever Letters" in season four.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Peak Seinfeld is S3-5 IMO so you are in for a treat with Season 4. This one has a season arc which is great to watch (S7 does too) and many classic episodes.

The Pitch/The Ticket pays off by the end of the season but as a standalone - it is solid mid range.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:49 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Algren wrote:
What I like most is spotting the cameos and supporting cast. In "The Trip Part 2" (which is excellent, btw) the guy that plays Tango's cellmate in Tango & Cash is the Smog Strangler. I'm also pretty sure that the chambermaid Lupe is Larry's maid in Curb that he takes to the club for dinner. And, of course, Larry makes a brief appearance when Kramer opens the door to find the police and loads of other people staring at him.

The Trip is a great double episode.

The smog strangler is Clint Howard - Ron Howard's brother!

Also look out for Ron and Clint's father who makes two separate appearances on the show in later episodes/seasons.

I love the cameos and guest stars - they really do add so much to the show. I watch a podcast on YouTube that interviews guest stars, writers etc. and it's great to hear each story.

Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:16 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Mister Ecks wrote:
If you love Curb, you'll probably like the later seasons more. Those original seasons really were a show about nothing, but the later seasons have so many plot strands that come together, like on Curb.

Yes - definitely a Larry David specialty.

Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:20 am
now we know

I finally got to "The Contest", which I'd heard a lot about. Great episode. Quite a risque topic for 20+ years ago, though I'm not sure what time Seinfeld usually aired. But it was handled well.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:58 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Algren wrote:
I finally got to "The Contest", which I'd heard a lot about. Great episode. Quite a risque topic for 20+ years ago, though I'm not sure what time Seinfeld usually aired. But it was handled well.

Honestly still ahead of its time. Network TV might have jokes or lines involving masturbation now, and direct naming of it, but to have the central plotline of a sitcom in the 90s based around it is pretty remarkable for the time. Of course the fact that they never actually use the word and use clever "nicknames" like master of your domain is what makes it.

Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm
now we know

So ahead of its time. Even Elaine is party to the bet, and the casual way that she is included feels entirely natural. I've not seen anything remotely as cool even these days. If such a plot occurred today, people would make such a song and dance about it that when you saw the film or episode it would feel some how undercut.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yes The Contest is perfection. The fact that they use euphemisms for "it" makes it even funnier and more memorable. Glad you liked it.

Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:35 pm
Keeping it Light

stuffp wrote:
I always enjoyed watching this show.

I saw it first during reruns in the late 90's, early 00's, and I tried to catch episodes regularly, but in all I've probably just seen about half of the show all together.

So I decided to watch this all from the start now.

The very first episode needs a bit getting used to, I actually remember the very first scene from youtube too, it doesn't flow that well yet, but shows potential for sure. It immediately gets better, with Elaine joining from episode two, and really George is the best character so far, "decaf coffee", "I'm an architect", "interference on the coinflip", and during episode 2 and 3 of the first season I've laughed the most with a comedy since a long while.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:34 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

stuffp wrote:
stuffp wrote:
I always enjoyed watching this show.

I saw it first during reruns in the late 90's, early 00's, and I tried to catch episodes regularly, but in all I've probably just seen about half of the show all together.

So I decided to watch this all from the start now.

The very first episode needs a bit getting used to, I actually remember the very first scene from youtube too, it doesn't flow that well yet, but shows potential for sure. It immediately gets better, with Elaine joining from episode two, and really George is the best character so far, "decaf coffee", "I'm an architect", "interference on the coinflip", and during episode 2 and 3 of the first season I've laughed the most with a comedy since a long while.

I used to skip Season 1 on rewatches but have come to enjoy it quite a bit. Yes the show was far from what it would be come but there are still some great moments and converstations. Also some foreshadowing of plotlines they'd use later (e.g. The Opposite).

Season 2 while short is damn great. Some all timer episodes including Chinese Restaurant, The Jacket, The Statue, The Answering Machine among others.

Then we get to Seasons 3 to 5 which are peak greatness. S6-S7 good. S8-S9 the weakest but do have many fans because of the sillier more physical humour.

Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:11 am
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I'm about half way through season 2 now, and it's definitely a step up in quality. Like season 1 really is already great, and too damn short, but in season 2, things really fall in place much more, Kramer is much better too.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:26 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Indeed - the characters start to become more developed. Episodes become more memorable too. It then takes off in S3.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7