Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 I love the US version of The Office 
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post I love the US version of The Office
i can't believe i just got onboard a month ago.

every episode has so many standout moments that I now have faith in US networks making US versions of successful overseas comedies.

Jim & Pam. Best TV couple since Buffy & Angel.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:49 am
Teenage Dream

Post Re: I love the US version of The Office
I love The Office!

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:19 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I am thoroughly indifferent to The Office. I don't hate it. I sure as hell don't like it.

30 Rock. Now, there's funnies!

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:21 pm
why so serious?

This is the first year I've actively watched The Office. And of course, it also had to be the year of the damn WGA strike.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:18 pm
Extraordinary

It's gone from good to mediocre. My loyalites have shifted to the much funnier 30 Rock.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:57 pm
College Boy Z

Office is hilarious.

I managed to get a bunch of people into it so my DVDs are in circulation now, but I feel like watching it again these days. So, so funny.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

30 Rock is better ;) but I still love The Office. It's hilarious for the most part, although the fourth season has been a bit of a letdown so far.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 pm
Profile YIM
Draughty

It's apples and oranges. 30 Rock is the kind of show where if it got a laugh to make it that Liz's parents were eskimo vampires they'd do it, it's more like a cartoon. Anything at all for a laugh, sometimes to the the point of desperation. Whereas The Office is more like a dramedy, not quite that but more in that direction.

Last spring I was liking 30 Rock more but Office picked up its game a lot in season 4. I liked the switch of focus to Angela and I love getluv's current sig.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Archie Gates wrote:
It's apples and oranges. 30 Rock is the kind of show where if it got a laugh to make it that Liz's parents were eskimo vampires they'd do it, it's more like a cartoon. Anything at all for a laugh, sometimes to the the point of desperation. Whereas The Office is more like a dramedy, not quite that but more in that direction.

Last spring I was liking 30 Rock more but Office picked up its game a lot in season 4. I liked the switch of focus to Angela and I love getluv's current sig.

I'm kind of the opposite. Last year I didn't really care for 30 Rock but loved the Office. This year, I'm still liking The Office, but I prefer 30 Rock. But, like you said, it's apples and oranges.

Neither come close to matching the majesty that is How I Met Your Mother at the moment though.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:12 pm
New Server, Same X

Archie Gates wrote:

I don't think I've had this much to say about a show besides 30 Rock, but I'll have a go again. 30 Rock is definitely a cartoon. More Family Guy than Futurama, though. And there just isn't a character on the show to relate to. At all. Sometimes, you need a few characters that are likable, and 30 Rock doesn't have one. That's not to say that I don't like Tina Fey or Alec Baldwin. I do. But the characters aren't relatable at all. Maybe relatable is a better word. Because "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" has unlikable characters, but it really works for them. 30 Rock... not so much.

There was this one moment in the last episode where Jack and his mom kind of share a nice moment at the end of the episode. Just quick, nothing painful or corny. And it was probably the most real thing they've done so far. It made Jack likable.

I don't know how I can have so little to say about a show, and somehow stretch it into a fucking book, but I do. Add up the pros and the cons, and 30 Rock just isn't all that great to me at all. Funny, yeah. Sometimes. But not great. Even the drama-filled Office is funnier on any given episode over 30 Rock.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:33 pm
New Server, Same X

Actually, more I think about it, the more 30 Rock is quite similar to Family Guy, post-cancellation. They just put anything random on the show for the "Wtf?" reaction. Sometimes it works, but it mostly falls flat for me. I'm just not that big on the Wtf? random humor. At least not anymore.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:36 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

X-Man wrote:
Actually, more I think about it, the more 30 Rock is quite similar to Family Guy, post-cancellation. They just put anything random on the show for the "Wtf?" reaction. Sometimes it works, but it mostly falls flat for me. I'm just not that big on the Wtf? random humor. At least not anymore.

Family Guy post-cancellation has never come up with anything quite as ingenious as "Werewolf Bar Mitzvah" (boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!) though.

I disagree with you quite a bit actually, Mr. X. 30 Rock can be surreal at times, and it does use the device of cutting away to little comedy vignettes, but I'd compare it more to Scrubs. As for none of the characters being relatable, Liz Lemon is clearly the character you're supposed to relate to. Perhaps you just find it difficult relating to females as leads.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:45 pm
New Server, Same X

Snrub wrote:
Perhaps you just find it difficult relating to females as leads.

I don't have any problems with female leads. But the female leads on TV should be limited to housewives and moms. Preferrably both. Especially if they're dishing out pearls of wisdom in between doing the dishes and washing the clothes and making dinner for the family. They shouldn't be wisecracking, catchphrase-spouting women, sharing the same jobs as men.

I bet you also think women deserve the right to vote. :disgust:

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:26 pm
New Server, Same X

All joking aside, I don't think anyone agrees with me about 30 Rock. Which is fine. 30 Rock easily has the most praise out of any show I've seen in a while. Even Arrested Development had its critics. 30 Rock just seems to be loved by everyone. And truth be told, I have a love/hate relationship with the show. And I watch every episode. So I don't hate it as much as you'd think.

Maybe I have some weird sibling relationship to the show. You know how an older brother beats up a younger brother to the point where the younger brother has to cry himself to sleep from the age of 4-17, but in reality, the older brother was just toughening me up for the real world.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:31 pm
Draughty

X-Man wrote:
All joking aside, I don't think anyone agrees with me about 30 Rock. Which is fine. 30 Rock easily has the most praise out of any show I've seen in a while. Even Arrested Development had its critics. 30 Rock just seems to be loved by everyone. And truth be told, I have a love/hate relationship with the show. And I watch every episode. So I don't hate it as much as you'd think.

Maybe I have some weird sibling relationship to the show. You know how an older brother beats up a younger brother to the point where the younger brother has to cry himself to sleep from the age of 4-17, but in reality, the older brother was just toughening me up for the real world.

I think that honor goes to Flight of the Conchords.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Aspiring Director

well i love both 30 rock and the office

... so hurray for me! i guess

The Dark Knight
The Machine Girl
Funny Games
Cloverfield
Teeth
Wall-E
Be Kind Rewind
The Pineapple Express
The Orphanage
The Ruins

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:04 am
Forum General

X-Man wrote:

I actually do agree with you, X, for the record.

While I think I'm a little less critical of the show than you, I think 30 Rock is far more hit-and-miss than The Office. And whereas The Office has genuine character and drama to fall back on, 30 Rock has virtually none of that.

I still love 30 Rock. I just take issue with those deeming it the best thing ever.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I've mostly enjoyed what I've seen of 30 Rock, and plan to continue watching, but it's more just something to waste time with, than something I really love. Though season 4 of The Office has been so disappointing that I am enjoying 30 Rock more.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:49 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

30 Rock is not good. It's occasionally funny and i love the pop-culture references, but meh. I've seen Fay do better.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:18 pm
Stanley Cup

i'm watchin 30 rock right now. I'm now on episode 5 of season 2. It's good but not great.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:43 pm
The Kramer

I've been rewatching season 3 lately. I've always thought the show went downhill in season 4, mostly because of the writers strike, and also because its hard to make more than fifty good episodes of any tv show (especially one where the setting never changes.)

But the point of no return actually came at the end of this season, but Jim/Pam finally getting together was such a happy moment that my ire was put off another year.

The Phyliss' wedding episode is what I'm referring to. Michael goes from well-intentioned idiot to a complete sociopath. The episode itself is very hard to watch. Yet the next episode, where he speaks at Ryans business school, intends for us to sympathize with Michael at end, after we realize that Ryan is just using him like always .... But I just can't do it. I cannot look at Michael as a relatable or sympathetic character anymore. It kills the show for me.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]