Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Attack on Titan Manga Ending 
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

Post Attack on Titan Manga Ending
spoilers obviously. i wont post anything until i confirm others here have read it and then we can discuss. excited to hear others reaction.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:47 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Attack on Titan Manga Ending
Thanks for not posting any spoilers in the first post! I was slowly scrolling down after I opened this. AOT fans are unfortunately pretty awful regarding spoilers (literally no filter or attempts to not spoil something with many of them), so I'm staying off social media until Saturday as I'm sure they're all over the place, and Twitter's annoying trending description feature has already spoiled things regarding AOT this year too (including a BIG one).

I'm usually behind most series, not big on reading one chapter a week (or month in this case), as I wait for several weeks or even months to catch up on most manga. I might give this one the special treatment and finish it over the weekend though just in case a spoiler finds me first.

But regardless of however it ended today, this series will without a doubt go down as one of the greatest works of fiction of all time.

*Exits thread for a good while*

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

All I can say is thank you Hajime Isayama for SNK. What a journey! :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:28 pm
Speed Racer

https://myanimelist.net/profile/ren0080/reviews

You can find my review of the seties here (as well as other concluded series).

Long story short, I gave it a 6.25/10
Not too shabby.

Though here's my thoughts summarized:
"To summarize my thoughts, it's a series that is one step away from being a masterpiece but took 10 steps backward instead."

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 pm

ren0080 wrote:

Not too shabby.

"To summarize my thoughts, it's a series that is one step away from being a masterpiece but took 10 steps backward instead."

My spoiler view:

Spoiler: show
I think it is a masterpiece even if the ending isn't perfect and is not as good as its peak. I found the last two issues fairly rushed and the endgame with Mikasa and Eren weak, though those two were honestly always the weakest of the main characters and their relationship was always one of the biggest issues of the series to me. The other characters I think all have well-done arcs and evolve in interesting ways. The ending (the world is saved but still destroyed and there is peace but high tension that could lead to war again) is appropriate. This was never going to have a "happy ever after" ending but I think a completely dark, zero hope ending would have been overkill.

I think it's take on genocide, xenophobia/racism, and the never-ending cycle of destruction was really well done. Eren becoming the "bad guy" in the end was the right move, even if the last issue doesn't nail the landing of his turn (I think it should have made Eren more genocidal and not tried to play it that he had some higher reason other than his own belief that destruction is the only option for salvation). It's a series that tackles on major topics and spends the time to dig deep from multiple perspectives. I don't agree with everything the series may say but I find its storytelling to be as good as you can hope for.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:04 pm
Speed Racer

Magnus wrote:
ren0080 wrote:

Not too shabby.

My spoiler view:

I think it is a masterpiece even if the ending isn't perfect and is not as good as its peak. I found the last two issues fairly rushed and the endgame with Mikasa and Eren weak, though those two were honestly always the weakest of the main characters and their relationship was always one of the biggest issues of the series to me. The other characters I think all have well-done arcs and evolve in interesting ways. The ending (the world is saved but still destroyed and there is peace but high tension that could lead to war again) is appropriate. This was never going to have a "happy ever after" ending but I think a completely dark, zero hope ending would have been overkill.

I think it's take on genocide, xenophobia/racism, and the never-ending cycle of destruction was really well done. Eren becoming the "bad guy" in the end was the right move, even if the last issue doesn't nail the landing of his turn (I think it should have made Eren more genocidal and not tried to play it that he had some higher reason other than his own belief that destruction is the only option for salvation). It's a series that tackles on major topics and spends the time to dig deep from multiple perspectives. I don't agree with everything the series may say but I find its storytelling to be as good as you can hope for.

For me, I have mixed feelings about it. Even though there isn't any change to Eren's character (his character didn't change, but his motive and the way he does it), his character was absolutely destroyed in the last chapter. The way it ended isn't the problem, but how it was handled was the problem. Eren went from an actual character to someone who contradicts his entire character prior to this arc.
The plot structure was amazing, but it wasn't handled properly.

Welp, I'm not doing a good job at explaining it so this post explains all my disatisfaction: https://www.reddit.com/r/yeagerbomb/com ... ding_to_a/

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:19 am
Speed Racer

To add to that, I think that before the rumbling arc, I'd have given AoT a solid 8 or 9.
It still has some flaws, but it is very minimal.
And although the rumbling arc has its moments, it definitely destroys a lot of what makes AoT being AoT.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 am

all of that is fair criticism but I guess I just think the inconsistency and flaws of characters in the story are actually a strength.

i really liked how this evolved from a traditional "good vs. evil" story to a incredibly nuanced, morally ambiguous tale. i like that Erens motivations dont quite make sense to us or to himself because I think that's actually very true of genocidal/authoritarian figures in general. i like that Armin, who initially was supposed to be the true moral compass of the crew, wasn't just wholly good and intelligent and made bad decisions / said things I didn't agree with.

to me the story starts as an extreme and demented take on David vs. Goliath and becomes a story on the complexity of a global human society and how challenging it is to have a just AND peaceful society. i think the core message of the story is that you can have one (justice or peace) but you can't sustain both for long for there is no justice that can be agreed to be everyone. there will always be a imbalance and that imbalance will lead to destruction eventually. how you manage that destruction is what the struggle of human society is about.

that said, I hated the last frame lol. I feel it was just a fan-service frame to give shippers their moment to see Mikasa and Eren together. But their relationship to me is so minimal to the stories bigger message.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:48 am
Speed Racer

I know, but AoT's ending could have been a lot better, have a lot more clear message.
It could have been the ending that will go down to history as one of the best and memorable.
But it didn't. It could've been standing side by side by Code Geass, Gundam CCA, or even Gintama's ending as one of the greats. Instead, AoT will be remembered as "hahah Eren dies and become a brid lol"

And it already does, I remember seeing a fanart of bird Eren f*cking Mikasa lmao

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 am

very fair. my take relies a lot of ignoring / minimizing the Eren/Mikasa stuff in the last issue and just focusing on the other elements. But given that the last frame is literally Bird Eren, I'm being very selective in doing so.

Time will speak for itself in the end. It's possible that the focus will mostly be on Mikasa/Eren and not on the other elements I speak of, which inhernetly would mean that the ending failed.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 am
Speed Racer

Yup. I'm pretty sure that AoT will be remembered not by its ending because let's face it.
The real ending was the friends we made along the way

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:55 am
The Kramer

I’m not reading any of the spoilers, but can anyone tell me how far behind the anime is? I was gonna start season 4 once all the episodes were on hulu.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 am
Speed Racer

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I’m not reading any of the spoilers, but can anyone tell me how far behind the anime is? I was gonna start season 4 once all the episodes were on hulu.

The anime ended in Chapter 116 and the manga ended in 139
quick mafs and there'll be 23 chapters which are enough for 2 cour seasons.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 am
Speed Racer

https://animesenpai.net/archives/1032

In an interview, Isayama admitted that the ending was far beyond what he can pulled off, hence why it is pretty bad.

This makes the people defending the ending look bad because even the author regretted the ending. Oooof

Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 am
The Kramer

Just finished first half of season 4. Still havent been spoiled thankfully, but guessing that the big controversial ending is that Eren activates The Rumbling on his own and kills all humans on the planet.

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Don't spoil it for others with your conspiracy theories :P

Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]