Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 What Comic Books are you reading? 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post What Comic Books are you reading?
I haven't started or read anything in recent years but I was wondering if there is something new/different (than Marvel and DC) to read.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:42 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: What Comic Books are you reading?
I read Watchmen and really want to read Doomsday Clock next.

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:07 am
Speed Racer

Just started Spy x Family translated in french.
Mostly I read manga or european comic books... And of course online reading like webtoons or Jump +.

About SPYxFAMILY, it's a really strong manga because I guess different generations can enjoy it. Offcourse I can't call it a seinen but as a 3x years old man I had fun with it... Family mistakes, relationships, be a father, ... Bloody things. xD

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

My manga order I placed on RightStuf (they always have great deals during the holidays) back on Dec. 15th finally shipped today!

So I'll be able to continue reading:

Attack on Titan Vols. 17-24
Blue Exorcist Vols. 19-23
Demon Slayer Vols. 15-19
Dr. Stone Vols. 7-9

And the Vol. 5 of Jujutsu Kaisen finally went back in stock on Amazon today, so I bought it and canceled a separate order I had for it on RightStuf from back in December that was still pending fulfilment. Vol. 0 also came back in stock on Amazon after a month of being out of stock, but it went back out of stock before I hit place order (...). Probably have to wait at least another month on it. Forever preordering from now on.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

VIZMedia went big on the announcements earlier today. All mentions are being released "this Fall":

Box Sets:

One Piece Box Set 4 (Vols. 71-90). Glad I've held off on buying any more! If nothing was announced this year, I was going to go back and buy them individually. One Piece is the only manga I read as the chapters come out, so I'm nearly caught up, but will buy this (or ask for as an Xmas gift).

Demon Slayer Box Set (all 23 volumes). I already own 1-19 now (and 20 is coming eventually), so going to skip this. But very nice for anyone who hasn't bought any, or are only a few volumes deep.

Light-novels, official guides, misc.:

Akira Toriyama's Manga Theater (collection of short-stories).
Fullmetal Alchemist: A New Beginning light-novel.
My Hero Academia Official Character Guide (288-pages).
One Piece Pirates Recipes: Sanji.

New Manga Series:

Kaiju No. 8, Vol. 1.
Burn the Witch, Vol. 1.
Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End, Vol. 1
Mao, Vol. 1
My Love Mix-Up!, Vol. 1
Rosen Blood, Vol. 1
Pokémon Journeys: The Series, Vol. 1

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Recently ordered:

Demon Slayer Vol. 20
Dr. Stone 10-12
Fire Force Vols. 11-14
Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun Vol. 1

On pre-order:

Demon Slayer Vol. 21
Jujutsu Kaisen Vols. 9-10
My Hero Academia Vol. 27

And still waiting on Jujutsu Kaisen Vol. 0 to ship... I originally ordered it back in December on back order (RightStuf) but cancelled that in February when it appeared on Amazon again but didn't check out in time before it went back out of stock... So I've been waiting on it for almost 4 months.

Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And just got an email from Amazon saying they've cancelled my order for JJK Vol. 0 due to lack of availability... the one that has been on back order from December, cancelled, then ordered again on back order.

I don't even see the English version listed on eBay. And it's still out of stock at every retailer, both online and in store. I check every retailer at least every other day and it hasn't been in stock anywhere, not once, since December except for that one second I spotted it in stock on Amazon (before even being notified), only to checkout too late.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Wanted to share this email from RightStufAnime that I got today:

Quote:
It's been a while since I've had the time to sit down and provide some updates but we have been feverishly working to get caught up and stay caught up all while trying to keep everyone safe and sound here at RightStufAnime.

I'm not certain we can say that 2020 is safely behind us, but it is behind us and we are all praying for a safer, kinder and calmer 2021. However, the industry publishers as a whole continue to have struggles and while we are shipping everything we can get our hands on as it comes in, their struggles trickled down to our ability to get product in the quantities we requested and the time we requested. So we wanted to provide you all with some links to statements made by various publishers so that we remain transparent about the challenges we will most likely continue to have during 2021.

Our friends over at Anime News Network published an article on 03/10/21 where they spoke with leaders at Yen Press, Tokyopop and Viz Media. Click here to review this article or click on the publisher to check out their latest and greatest products on our site.

While the joint venture between Universal and Warner Bros. was announced last year, an article published on 01/15/2020 mentions the "divvy up" of the distribution and in simple terms this means warehouse moves. I have done a lot of warehouse moves in my career prior to joining RSA and I can tell you, no matter how good you are it is slow and painful, so we can almost guarantee supply issues until the divvying up is completed.

Additionally Seven Seas announced a change in November of 2020, moving their sales and distribution to Penguin Random House Publisher. Needless to say this will mean yet another warehouse move in the industry, all of which will be taking place this year.

I find it sort of interesting that they continue to say that physical good sales will continue to decline and digital will continue to grow, I'm no expert on this topic, but I wonder, with access to shows and books being moved or removed, I wonder if their statements will hold true?

Regardless, we will always do our best to bring you all the best. So let me give you some insight into things we are doing internally to try to make things a little smoother for shipping the products we have.

• We have added a second shift in the warehouse, we are actively hiring and the group is small but we hope to have them powerful very soon.

• We are adding additional pack stations and hopefully get enough people hired to run them.

• We have added additional aisles to our warehouse so we can order a bit heavier when ever possible and will cross our fingers every time we order that the publisher will be able to fulfill our orders with the quantities we order.

Covid has made hiring a bit of a challenge because of course you can't pick or pack our orders remotely. So, we continue to scout for some more amazing RSA family members and ask that everyone be a little patient with the delays as many of them are not within our control.

Well, I need to get back to our projects, lots going on! But I want to thank you for being loyal RSA customers, so I ask our fabulous Marketing and Merchandising teams to come up with a little promotion to accompany this email.

Use code SPRINGUPDATE to take 5% off your next order*

Kindest Regards,
Christine Morgan
Vice President

And here is the article (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 0850710025) written by ANN discussing with CEO's of three major publishers in the U.S. about the huge rise in manga sales in 2020 occurring at the same time as printing and shipping setbacks in the publishing industry.

Now I wonder if any retailers RightStuff, Amazon, B&N, etc. will be able to even meet the demand (manga sales were up 43% in the U.S. in 2020, which would be a lot higher for the more popular series themselves) of pre-orders moving forward, much less keep a stock of newly released books in stock after they're released.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:29 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Corpse wrote:
Wanted to share this email from RightStufAnime that I got today:

Quote:
It's been a while since I've had the time to sit down and provide some updates but we have been feverishly working to get caught up and stay caught up all while trying to keep everyone safe and sound here at RightStufAnime.

I'm not certain we can say that 2020 is safely behind us, but it is behind us and we are all praying for a safer, kinder and calmer 2021. However, the industry publishers as a whole continue to have struggles and while we are shipping everything we can get our hands on as it comes in, their struggles trickled down to our ability to get product in the quantities we requested and the time we requested. So we wanted to provide you all with some links to statements made by various publishers so that we remain transparent about the challenges we will most likely continue to have during 2021.

Our friends over at Anime News Network published an article on 03/10/21 where they spoke with leaders at Yen Press, Tokyopop and Viz Media. Click here to review this article or click on the publisher to check out their latest and greatest products on our site.

While the joint venture between Universal and Warner Bros. was announced last year, an article published on 01/15/2020 mentions the "divvy up" of the distribution and in simple terms this means warehouse moves. I have done a lot of warehouse moves in my career prior to joining RSA and I can tell you, no matter how good you are it is slow and painful, so we can almost guarantee supply issues until the divvying up is completed.

Additionally Seven Seas announced a change in November of 2020, moving their sales and distribution to Penguin Random House Publisher. Needless to say this will mean yet another warehouse move in the industry, all of which will be taking place this year.

I find it sort of interesting that they continue to say that physical good sales will continue to decline and digital will continue to grow, I'm no expert on this topic, but I wonder, with access to shows and books being moved or removed, I wonder if their statements will hold true?

Regardless, we will always do our best to bring you all the best. So let me give you some insight into things we are doing internally to try to make things a little smoother for shipping the products we have.

• We have added a second shift in the warehouse, we are actively hiring and the group is small but we hope to have them powerful very soon.

• We are adding additional pack stations and hopefully get enough people hired to run them.

• We have added additional aisles to our warehouse so we can order a bit heavier when ever possible and will cross our fingers every time we order that the publisher will be able to fulfill our orders with the quantities we order.

Covid has made hiring a bit of a challenge because of course you can't pick or pack our orders remotely. So, we continue to scout for some more amazing RSA family members and ask that everyone be a little patient with the delays as many of them are not within our control.

Well, I need to get back to our projects, lots going on! But I want to thank you for being loyal RSA customers, so I ask our fabulous Marketing and Merchandising teams to come up with a little promotion to accompany this email.

Use code SPRINGUPDATE to take 5% off your next order*

Kindest Regards,
Christine Morgan
Vice President

And here is the article (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 0850710025) written by ANN discussing with CEO's of three major publishers in the U.S. about the huge rise in manga sales in 2020 occurring at the same time as printing and shipping setbacks in the publishing industry.

Now I wonder if any retailers RightStuff, Amazon, B&N, etc. will be able to even meet the demand (manga sales were up 43% in the U.S. in 2020, which would be a lot higher for the more popular series themselves) of pre-orders moving forward, much less keep a stock of newly released books in stock after they're released.

In France, manga sales were up +18% overall (record year), but best-sellers grew a lot. One Piece (the best-selling manga series), grew + 57.2%. Naruto (whose volume 1 was the best-selling single volume) grew + 78.8%.

Every single sales ranking seem to show an even bigger growth for 2021.
1/4 items of this weekly top 200 best-selling books are now manga volumes. 51 volumes last week If I counted correctly when there used to be 5 at most a year ago.

The Attack on Titan publisher suffered from stock issues earlier this year and had to reprint 1.2 million volumes (mostly thanks to the anime boost). That's probably around 20% of its total circulation !

I think publishers and retailers are starting to adapt to the pandemic

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:32 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I wonder if manga sales spiking all over the globe it seems is due to the pandemic keeping more people inside, or how anime has become more widely available via streaming services, or perhaps both?

Interesting to see that Naruto is way up in France. Is Boruto popular there, which in turn helps boost Naruto from newer/younger audiences going back to check it out? Naruto is of course one of the biggest series all over the world, it's just unusual timing for it to see such a rise in popularity given it concluded years ago. One Piece makes some sense since it's still ongoing, and in general I've noticed more people actually just starting it after all these years. Attack on Titan also makes sense given the hype of the final season, as well as the manga coming to an end this year.

And I must say that the AOT fandom (outside of Japan) is one of the worst ever. It's overrun with whiners and spoilers galore. It's impossible to go on social media when a new episode or chapter is released anymore.

Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

No, Naruto is way more popular than Boruto. Looking at how much volume 1/2/3 sold, I think the reason for this spike is that Naruto is a well-known manga, even for people who don't read manga. So when the lockdown started a year ago, people were looking for new stuff to read (for their children or themselves). And since these three volumes were cheaper (3€ instead of the usual 6-7€), they sold extremely well.
Other best-sellers also saw big spikes in sales (One Piece, MHA, probably more but we don't have the full report yet), but with volumes at the usual price.

Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:35 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I know that Boruto does well on streaming services outside of Japan (similar to Black Clover, which also isn't big in Japan but does well overseas), so thought that the anime's popularity among newer fans could have contributed to Naruto's manga sales spiking. But makes sense if the first volumes were marked half-off.

Unrelated, has anyone here read (or watched) Haikyu!!? I'm typically not into sports manga/anime, but I know it's very popular and some retailers are having big deals on Sentai Filmworks releases this week. Season 1 (all 25 eps) can be found for $20 right now, which is normally $60/70 or $100 at full MSRP. Season 2 and 3 are similarly marked way down. Don't think Season 4 has been released yet.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:19 pm
Profile WWW

Just started Spy x Family translated in french.
Mostly I read manga or european comic books... And of course online reading like webtoons or Jump +.

About SPYxFAMILY, it's a really strong manga because I guess different generations can enjoy it. Offcourse I can't call it a seinen but as a 3x years old man I had fun with it... Family mistakes, relationships, be a father, ... Bloody things. xD

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]