Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 2022 Box Office Draft Group 1 
Hold the door!

Post Re: 2022 Box Office Draft Group 1
Just looked it up and it will only play theatrically for one week. Which means grosses shouldn't be reported. They can pick a replacement if they'd like

Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Updated

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yo PE and Corpse, Creed III has moved.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:31 am
now we know

Wow, that's a big move. I'm intrigued to see what they pick as a replacement.

Poor Corpse, though, his draft has been absolutely ravaged.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Right?! Lol. Lightyear is going to be my top film with a whopping $119m or something. All my top 5 (maybe more) picks moved or went to streaming.

Is my overall total even going to hit $500m? Doesn't seem likely... I'm assuming it'll be a record low.

I'll go with the rerelease of Avatar... to replace Creed III. Maybe Gen Z will show up to see it for the first time and push it to $400 million or a few hundred million higher.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Not a bad pick. All updated.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I just found, via The-Numbers, that Jujutsu Kaisen 0 finally made $33.9 million (Mojo still says $29m), so I did actually make it to $400 million with my first four picks. Awesome! :D

Also, I suggest to zwackerm to check both Mojo and The-Numbers when updating numbers. It's only small differences, but for example Morbius has another two weeks of gross on Mojo compared to The-Numbers. I updated the sheet for it (Uncharted, too).

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Thx Algren

…and congrats!

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:56 am
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
I just found, via The-Numbers, that Jujutsu Kaisen 0 finally made $33.9 million (Mojo still says $29m), so I did actually make it to $400 million with my first four picks. Awesome! :D

Also, I suggest to zwackerm to check both Mojo and The-Numbers when updating numbers. It's only small differences, but for example Morbius has another two weeks of gross on Mojo compared to The-Numbers. I updated the sheet for it (Uncharted, too).

I thought Mojo would be wrong since Numbers is updated much more often

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:05 am
now we know

publicenemy#1 finally gets to $1 billion! Not much left to open for him, though, so it's looking unlikely he'll be able to catch Rev (and Rev still has Black Adam and six others to open). But congrats on getting to the billion - not all of us will!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am
Profile WWW
now we know

When I first heard of the More Fun Stuff Version of Spider-Man: No Way Home coming out, with its 11 minutes of added footage, I thought it might perform well. You know, a sizeable gross to add to the $800m+ of the original release. Something like $25 million. But now I'm not too sure. Doesn't it feel like the buzz from No Way Home has completely fizzled out? Particularly since Top Gun: Maverick's run usurped it as the more impressive performance.

I feel like it will perhaps make just a few million more. Maybe $4 million tops. Nobody cared when Everything Everywhere All At Once had its re-release, and I know this is much larger movie, but for the majority of people (like, 99.9%) additional scenes is something for the DVD special features. It doesn't warrant a theatrical re-release. I feel only nerds will care enough to buy tickets. Then again I suppose the good thing is that nerds are well represented among MCU fans, lol.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:46 am
Profile WWW
now we know

As a replacement for Shazam! Fury of the Gods, I'd like to take Smile ... if stuffp agrees.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

How was Smile not already taken? Looks like a mainstream version of It Follows which should be a hit. I didn't even consider it during last re-draft lol.

Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:45 am
Keeping it Light

Ouch that's a painful hit.

So Smile, let's do it.

Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 am
now we know

Nice. All updated.

And Flava, I guess it just slipped under the radar while people were seeking higher grossers. Smile probably does $20m tops.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The release schedule screwed me:

Winners:
4. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - ($190m) More than expected. Thought about the same as the first, but always hoped it would do more. Got me off to a great start!
6. The Lost City - ($105m) I had a range of $90-$120m for it, but more as a surprise pick than a guaranteed hit, so I'm glad of its performance, particularly after its opening suggested (at least to me) that it would finish with just $75m. It's had lovely legs and will hit $100m.
13. Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie - ($29m) Can't argue with $30m for a round 13 pick.

Losers:
3. Morbius - ($73m) I expected so much more here. I can't believe how much this bombed. I thought, at the very minimum, it would get $115m. The trailer seemed to suggest it would link it up to the Spidey Universe, which it does, but very subtly. My expectation was fueled by that and, alas, I'm severely disappointed.
7. Beast - ($22m) Awful. Absolutely awful. I'm flabbergasted and angered at this film's pathetic opening. I had convinced myself this was capable of a late-summer $30m+ opening with a potential push for $100 million. Its utter capitulation is, for me, more embarrassing than Morbius.
11. Three Thousand Years of Longing - ($5m) This was a replacement pick so I'm not as hard on it for folding, though I would have thought the Miller faithful or people that appreciated Fury Road would've created more buzz around its release. I thought it could have done at least $25 million total.

Conclusion:
I obviously can't win. Idris fucking Elba killed my chance of even being competitive. Screw you, Idris!

Having said that - I know I cannot win or even compete for second - I am still interested in my future releases. More for personal fun than anything else. I picked Barbarian because I heard some early word that it's a bit wild and shocking, so I thought that could be a horror sleeper. Smile seems like an easily digestible jump horror. Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile could still surprise and do $80 million. But I don't envisage much from Halloween Ends as it's going day-and-date on Peacock. See How They Run will be small. I've no idea what Violent Night will do. And Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will probably underwhelm relative to the first.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Dark Harvest has been pulled from the schedule. I will look at replacements

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:38 am
Hold the door!

Till, Flava'd?

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:41 am
The Kramer

Sure. Any chance it will gross $500M so I have a chance at catching Rev?

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:33 pm
now we know

Hmm, I'm not sure I would have picked Till with Armageddon Time and The Son still available.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Flava'd and Corpse...

White Bird: A Wonder Story just got removed from the schedule, per Mojo. I can't find news of this elsewhere, though.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

So it looks like, weirdly as Riggs has had the worst draft for the whole year, Flava'd will finish in last place. Riggs has a big blue-coloured saviour at the end of the year. But all will get to a billion apart from those two. Actually, for all of Riggs' bad luck, he also didn't pick greatly if you look at it. He picked Dog, which did well in its own right, over Bullet Train, Halloween Ends, Strange World, DC League of Super-Pets, Scream, and The Lost City, and he also picked Amsterdam before all of those plus Elvis. He was playing a risky game before most of his picks were removed from the schedule.

I still think I will finish in second place. I just need a few things to fall into place, such as Lyle and Halloween Ends. But it's going to be close because publicenemy#1 is already over a billion and still has Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, I Wanna Dance with Somebody, Bones and All, and A Man Called Otto to come out. The final rankings are on course to look like this:

1. Rev
2. publicenemy#1
3. Algren
4. Jack Sparrow
5. Riggs
6. Flava'd

As a general rule for next year, although Smile and Barbarian are generally doing well, I'm going to steer clear of horror unless it's an obvious hit or I have to choose a replacement. They're just too small to really move the needle in a game like this.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:17 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Eh, looking back, mistakes were made, but we were right in the middle of the omicron wave and there was far less certainty that anything in the second half of the year would actually come out. The only major boner was Fantastic Beasts, should have seen that it would end the sub-franchise after the horrible response to Grindelwald.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:11 am
now we know

That's a good point. There was a fear, at least with me but I think many people had it, that going forward our winters would be plagued by COVID outbreaks.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next