Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 HEATH LEDGER JUST DIED 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: HEATH LEDGER JUST DIED
Mike wrote:
Wow. I should put together one at my Movie Gallery.

Weird. The same picture is my Facebook profile pic right now.

What a fucking tragedy.

I never get too bummed out regarding celebrity deaths, but this one really hit me. I just heard the news a little more than a hour ago, when a friend of mine called me up about it. I asked him, "Are you fucking joking me?" I said that again. Then he came into the dining hall, and I saw his face. That's all I needed to know.

He had such a promising career ahead of him. I adored his performance in "Brokeback Mountain," and his "The Dark Knight" performance looked to be a marvel. I'm quite sure that it still will. Damn shame we'll never be able to congratulate him.

My condolences go out to his family (especially his 2 year-old daughter...Christ) and friends. RIP, Mr. Ledger. :(

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:46 pm
You must have big rats

Wow...I'm speechless

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

I heard about this during school today, and I've got to say that it is quite a shocking loss. I thought Ledger was one of the most promising of rising talents in Hollywood.

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 pm
Teenage Dream

I miss him already, somehow.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:00 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Warner Bros has a really delicate tightrope act to balance.

We don't even know how The Joker is resolved in the film, if he's even resolved. Any ADR work that needs to happen. How do you market his role, do you even market it? What does it mean for the 3rd film...

This is bigger than Richard Harris and Harry Potter. Or Oliver Reed and Gladiator, or even Brandon Lee and The Crow.

I know this sounds trivial but its a business but more importantly, well to me anyway, its his legacy and probably his final role (assuming the Gilliam role is too incomplete).

I was thinking about this while looking at President Palmer's avatar, which is essentially a poster of Ledger behind a frosted glass window painting a bloody smile on it with the words "why so serious?" plastered over his head.

If nothing else, they'll have to completely rethink their marketing on the film.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Magnus wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Warner Bros has a really delicate tightrope act to balance.

We don't even know how The Joker is resolved in the film, if he's even resolved. Any ADR work that needs to happen. How do you market his role, do you even market it? What does it mean for the 3rd film...

This is bigger than Richard Harris and Harry Potter. Or Oliver Reed and Gladiator, or even Brandon Lee and The Crow.

I know this sounds trivial but its a business but more importantly, well to me anyway, its his legacy and probably his final role (assuming the Gilliam role is too incomplete).

I think you still market him, espically if the studio/filmmakers are confident that he is that amazing. Nothing can bring him back now. But his performance in TDK could potentially change his legacy forever. And if the filmmakers/studio are confident that his performance can be that legendary, then market the hell out of it. They shouldn't have to hide his talent. If anything, they need to show everyone just how much talent was lost.

Offcourse they have to use The Joker in the marketing. TDK is really all Joker. Its what everyone has been waiting for since the final scene of Batman Begins. In the end the WB is out there to make money - and if though they will be tasteful - "The Joker as portrayed by Heath Ledger" will indeed be marketed for all to see - just like if he was alive. Its then up to the media to make the connection to his death - and hence the publicity.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:14 pm
Teenage Dream

Does anyone remember the marketing for The Crow? Brandon Lee was essentially playing a zombie in that movie, so I'd be curious how the studio worked that.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:15 pm
Superfreak

Yeah; hell be marketed no doubt though we can scratch the whole joker-gore shit.
Spoiler: show
he doesnt die in the film
so i dont think its that big of a problem.

but i know the timings off, but indiana jones is not the event of 2008 any more. TDK publicity just exploded by 100 million;all the talk next july will be tdk and how ledger is and if word is hes amazing...

im thinking post humerous oscars and ledger goes down as the new james dean.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:17 pm
Sbil

makeshift wrote:
Does anyone remember the marketing for The Crow? Brandon Lee was essentially playing a zombie in that movie, so I'd be curious how the studio worked that.

From what I remember about The Crow, the studio did not promote the movie using Lee's death. That's what I seem to recall, at least. It was 14 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:18 pm
Forum General

I quickly went to check something at cnn.com as my 2pm lecture was starting and I saw this on the front page. Quickly zoomed over to The Water Cooler and saw there was already a page going. I shut off my laptop and was in shock.

It hit me really hard and I don't know why exactly. Obviously was a combination of reasons but this has got to be, as Dkmuto said, the most shocking industry death of our generation. I've been immersed in Heath Ledger news for the past 90 minutes and as I'm writing, I'm still having a hard time swallowing it.

I realized after 40 minutes of lecture, I hadn't written almost any notes. My heart had sunk for quite a while and I was lost in sorrow and thought.

bABA wrote:
i ... don't know why i'm soo down. i hear about people dying all the time, people i know or celebs but for some odd reason, i haven't been hit this way since a classmate of mine died a few years ago.

i'm ..... just down right now.

I think that's how I feel. I thought I had processed it but it just hit me again while writing this post.

I'm glad he had finished the last major project he was working on. I don't know why people are so worried about the Joker character for later films. They can easily cast someone else if it's a whole other film. And all the promo ad work they'd need Ledger for, I'm sure they have enough to make do with.

What I am most interested in, as Loyal mentioned, is how they handle his role in the film when it comes to release and promotion. I don't personally know how I feel about the issue. A part of me actually thinks they shouldn't drastically change the direction of advertising and above all, I don't think they should point it out. It will be as big a deal anyway.

I'm not going to say he was on his way to become some sort of legend because none of us know that but I don't think it's being doubted that his acting career was definitely the best it had ever been and looked to be getting better. He had finally established himself as a serious and respected (not to mention damn good) actor and was destined to growing commercial success with The Dark Knight. It's just so tragic.

I'm not commenting on cause of death since everything is speculation now but whether it was this or that probably won't matter that much to me. It's tragic any way you look at it. Kind of darkly ironic how his career was on a major upswing when his personal life had been going the opposite direction over the past year.

By any standard, a great loss. :(

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:18 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Libs wrote:
From what I remember about The Crow, the studio did not promote the movie using Lee's death. That's what I seem to recall, at least. It was 14 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

They never did use Brandon Lee's death to promote the movie. Pretyt much the commercials were that STP song playing with Brandon Lee's name appearing and thats about it

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 pm
Teenage Dream

Personally, I would like to see WB maintain the majority of their future marketing as if nothing happened. I think it would be disrespectful to Heath and his performance to kind of dumb down the darkness of the character in the marketing because of this.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

The Crow set was just a disaster from whats reported that two stuntmen got hurt really badly. River Phoenix too at one time was supposed to play ERic Draven

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:27 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Roid wrote:
Libs wrote:

They never did use Brandon Lee's death to promote the movie. Pretyt much the commercials were that STP song playing with Brandon Lee's name appearing and thats about it

Yeah the Crow was promoted as "The Crow" like they would have if he was still alive.

However, all the news magazine shows like ET etc had numerous reports about Lee's death and the film and hyped up the film that way.

One difference between Ledger and Lee - is that Lee died ON SET of The Crow - while Ledger died away from the TDK set.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 pm
The Original

So is the death reason already known?

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm
Teh Mexican

WTH?!.... :shock:

wow... RIP

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm
Devil's Advocate

loyalfromlondon wrote:
I've been trying to edit my favourite Heath moment onto youtube for the past 2 hours but I was having issues with my Vegas Pro software.

Turns out, the clip is already online.

You can't help but smile and cry at the same time.

Yeah, Heath's role in that is actually kind of ominous, the more I think of it

Robbie is the young and happy persona of Dylan before fame, drugs, and the media take all that free spirit away and make him bitter and depressed. Fame and drugs kills the happy Robbie persona of Dylan, just like it killed Heath...

That montage can represent a lot more than Dylan's life, it can represent the younger happy memories that any older, less happy person(Ledger including) once experienced.

Last edited by Shack on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:40 pm
The 5th B-Sharp

I think TDK is a whole different thing then The Crow, I mean Brandon Lee died on set. Now if the Joker character did some how play a factor in this, (which I have to be skeptical about) then they're more warranted.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:41 pm
Teenage Dream

I'm skeptical about the whole Joker role leading to depression stuff too. I mean, Heath was an exceptional talent, but he never struck me as overly method. If anything, he always seemed level headed and detached from his on-screen persona.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:47 pm
The Kramer

this is nuts, I couldn't believe it.

Same day as oscar noms too, which definitely get bumped to page 2 now. But how is it possible for that to even happen? This is ridiculous.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:49 pm
Extraordinary

I was really surprised when i heard about this today. I found it on a sports show of all things and they just happened to be talking about it in passing.

It's very unfortunate and sad because he was improving as an actor and we had TDK to look forward to and that he had a child and a ex-wife. It's all a bummer.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:50 pm
Forum General

He just really never seemed like a happy guy to me. I didn't know if he was just quiet or being demure or something. My guess is that he had problems.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
The pink elephant in the room is that anything outside of dying from an accidential overdose or pneumonia casts a negative light on WB and TDK. It just does.

These interviews on CNN and FOX and MSNBC where its reported how haunted his been over the Joker character, how he couldn't sleep, how much it troubled him, that's not a good situation at all.

True. If his performance as Joker is somehow connected to his depression (assuming he was depressed), then they may want to back away just a bit than planned, but still market him.

I would say stop promoting Joker now. Focus it on batman and the action scenes. I seriously feel like Ledger had become very nervous at the fact that everyone had high expectations from him and they were pimping his role to the nth degree that it could lead to dissapointments and what not. He probably use to take drugs to get sleep or something but in this case he took too much and well u know what happened.

I hope his performance is applauded by all and he wins tons of awards for his joker role. WB should send a $40-50 million paycheck to his family. I feel pity on his 1 year old baby and wife.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Oh and chris nolan better not think of recasting joker for a 3rd film.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

loyalfromlondon wrote:
These interviews on CNN and FOX and MSNBC where its reported how haunted his been over the Joker character, how he couldn't sleep, how much it troubled him, that's not a good situation at all.

That would change things then. Not good at all if thats the case.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next