Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Sound of Freedom thread 
Devil's Advocate

Post Sound of Freedom thread
Thread for people who want to discuss Sound of Freedom or conservatives in a way that's more political in nature.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:52 am
now we know

Post Re: Sound of Freedom final gross predictions
I suppose the reason we highlight it when a conservative project does well and liberals get all upset (and not vice-versa) is because liberals are the ones that position themselves as diverse and welcoming of all opinions and ideologies. But the truth is that they're just as hateful as conservatives when something doesn't align with their beliefs. Surely being truly liberal is accepting of ALL types, races, opinions, religions, etc. etc. and not just the ones that condone John being Julia now. But that's now how it is. The word liberal has lost its meaning.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:01 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Sound of Freedom thread
I think it is interesting how the New Left, an American political movement with origins in the 1960s, has come to dominate the cultural zeitgeist so much that it is led to the bastardization of the word “liberal” at such a level, that even non-American political discourse has ran with this transformed definition in an act of unintended American cultural imperialism.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:54 pm
Hold the door!

There are way more liberal movies that come out. It wouldn’t be possible for conservatives to get so mad for every liberal movie that comes out, there’d be new anger every weekend

Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

The right loves to talk about the left forcing gender ideology on kids, drag queen public nudity sexualizing them and the need to stop kids from getting sex changes and puberty blockers. While none of those are about pedos, the psychology and positioning themselves as the moral righteous kid shielding side probably plays a part in why a save kids from pedos movie is connecting right now.

Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Shack wrote:
The right loves to talk about the left forcing gender ideology on kids, drag queen public nudity sexualizing them and the need to stop kids from getting sex changes and puberty blockers. While none of those are about pedos, the psychology and positioning themselves as the moral righteous kid shielding side probably plays a part in why a save kids from pedos movie is connecting right now.

I think this is playing a big factor, yes. The film is likely appealing to the folk who see news stations trying to link Democrats or liberals to supporting child trafficking or something.

I've been seeing attack ads against Kentucky's governor and they're all just trying to link him to "liberal policies" related to gender and drag queens (there's even a drag queen, you guessed it, reading a book to some kids in one of the ads) and saying he's trying to hurt their children. I don't even live in Kentucky, and I don't think I've seen any other ads being run against him.

Honestly, it's pretty sickening because the vast majority of people, all people, aren't out to harm children in anyway. So, creating a platform saying "I'm all for protecting our children, but my opponent supports harming children" is just gross politics. Very, very dirty politics that's going after the most vulnerable voters who believe every Democrat, every drag queen, every LGBTQ person is a pedophile or supports policies that support it or something. It's just a very "ugh" feeling.

It's not unlike Democrats going heavy on the all Republicans support killing children because they support gun rights, and then go on to run little-to-nothing but attack ads against them over it. It's not true, and it's very dirty politics.

There's a larger middle here of people, and a balance to be had, but it's really, *really* being spread out in either extreme direction over the last 5-6 years or so. And if someone in the middle doesn't choose a side, they get accused of supporting the very worst of each extreme by both sides. Very disturbing times, really.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

zwackerm wrote:
There are way more liberal movies that come out. It wouldn’t be possible for conservatives to get so mad for every liberal movie that comes out, there’d be new anger every weekend

But they do get mad at nearly every movie that comes out for being too "woke", lol (The Little Mermaid, Barbie, etc).

Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:55 pm
Hold the door!

Cynosure wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

But they do get mad at nearly every movie that comes out for being too "woke", lol (The Little Mermaid, Barbie, etc).

The difference being the outrage against SOF is portrayed as righteous whereas the outrage against other movies is “overreacting”

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:48 pm

Personally, I think the best way to summarize this film is that the film itself is fine, but it is the studio and their methods that are a little fishy.

Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]