Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Ban TikTok, yes or no? 

Ban TikTok in the U.S.?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6

Ban TikTok, yes or no? 
now we know

Post Re: Ban TikTok, yes or no?
Ooh, DP07 is here with his tin foil hat. :roll:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:
Anything with likes and followers is probably going to have the same impact on people making them desperate for it, TikTok is just one of many.

Sorry, but anyone that says things like this just does not get the crux of the TikTok issue.

Nor do you or the “State in Washington DC”. They are emotional politicians who lack the ability to make objective, impartial, rational, or even good or competent decisions about these issues. If you fail to recognize that, you are the same, or you are naive, gullible, selfish, shortsighted, complicit, or worse.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:
Ooh, DP07 is here with his tin foil hat. :roll:

Shut up, your don’t understand anything I talk about. Your perspective is irrelevant in reality except to the extent it can cause you to make bad decisions and waste time.

Your feelings about what is normal or realistic (or induction generally) is not a legitimate, meaningful, substantial, reliable, valid, dependable, clear, or even consequential guide to reality. You guys just just hypocritically project based on bad assumptions and emotion.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:23 pm
Profile ICQ
now we know

I agree that politicians make bad decisions a lot of the time, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Here, with this issue, they're right to want to ban TikTok.

They might not get their way since the Democrats are up for election again soon and that might hurt their prospects if a ban happened before. But one can dream.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Ooh, DP07's busted out the thesaurus, lol.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Talk about conspiratorial thinking: the politicians were not even interested in evidence. They just refused to believe anything besides their paranoid fears about their enemy. They didn’t care what he said, they only perceive hostile threats because they can’t trust the evidence, reality, or the relevance of his claims, they only trust people like themselves.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:33 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:
I agree that politicians make bad decisions a lot of the time, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Here, with this issue, they're right to want to ban TikTok.

They might not get their way since the Democrats are up for election again soon and that might hurt their prospects if a ban happened before. But one can dream.

“A broken clock is right twice a day”… You know that even if a broken clock is right, you can’t even use it to tell the time, because you couldn’t know it to be right without an accurate and working clock?

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:38 pm
Profile ICQ
now we know

DP07 wrote:
Talk about conspiratorial thinking: the politicians were not even interested in evidence. They just refused to believe anything besides their paranoid fears about their enemy. They didn’t care what he said, they only perceive hostile threats because they can’t trust the evidence, reality, or the relevance of his claims, they only trust people like themselves.

Maybe they know the game better than you do. They already know who to trust and who's right, and the hearing wasn't about evidence, lol. How naive are you?!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:

Hehe, none of those words are even esoteric.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:43 pm
Profile ICQ
now we know

DP07 wrote:
Algren wrote:

Hehe, none of those words are even esoteric.

Precisely ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:
DP07 wrote:

Maybe they know the game better than you do. They already know who to trust and who's right, and the hearing wasn't about evidence, lol. How naive are you?!

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

That’s classic. :funny: :funny: That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.

The hearing should be about evidence if they are interested in making good decisions and considering relevant information. It was not of course; the hearing was about them trying to validate their emotions, assumptions, attitudes, and beliefs so they can try to feel better about themselves and what they want. That’s normal for something like Tik Tok, but it’s not good for important decision making.

So, now it’s obvious you are naive and hypocritical.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:
Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:
Anything with likes and followers is probably going to have the same impact on people making them desperate for it, TikTok is just one of many.

Sorry, but anyone that says things like this just does not get the crux of the TikTok issue.

I was referring to more of zwackerm and Barrabis comments about its negative impact on people (besides the possible China spying)

OK. Fair enough. Though I would say that even limiting the issue to its addictiveness, TikTok is far more addictive than Facebook, Twitter, etc. The algorithm is quite unique, and not even western platforms have something as lucrative in gaining addicts as TikTok does, which makes TikTok far more damaging from that perspective, but exponentially so when twinned with its spread of Chinese influence and propaganda, not to mention all the other safety concerns that the app does not address. All of the security concerns regarding TikTok are intertwined.

They all have different weak points psychologically imo

Twitter makes people act in mobs/packs the most and makes people act in a way where they have to be loud for their tweet to stand out

Instagram is shallow and makes every half decent looking girl think they need to be a thirst trap and self conscious comparing themselves to others

Facebook has a powerful fear factor which is someone you know or like in real life unfriending you and the threat of it intimidating you. eg Any conservative who knows Chippy in real life probably knows they would get unfriended if they post right wing stuff.

Reddit just seems bad for individuals. No avatars etc, and huge number of users, most people barely read the name.

All have incentive to post something fake that gets likes over something honest that doesn’t.

Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:37 pm
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:
Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:

I was referring to more of zwackerm and Barrabis comments about its negative impact on people (besides the possible China spying)

OK. Fair enough. Though I would say that even limiting the issue to its addictiveness, TikTok is far more addictive than Facebook, Twitter, etc. The algorithm is quite unique, and not even western platforms have something as lucrative in gaining addicts as TikTok does, which makes TikTok far more damaging from that perspective, but exponentially so when twinned with its spread of Chinese influence and propaganda, not to mention all the other safety concerns that the app does not address. All of the security concerns regarding TikTok are intertwined.

You’re an idiot. Everything you say is pure hypocrisy regarding Washington DC, which is a bigger security threat from any objective or impartial standpoint.

Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Algren wrote:
Yes, the Insta-Facebook algorithms are quite basic. Not to say that I could write it - far from it - but to "get" it and "get" what triggers it, it's nothing like TikTok, and therefore it's far less addictive, because people get bored quickly with a regurgitation of panda videos, for example. This is also the case with YouTube. But, I don't know about you, I like the simplicity with those platforms because I can control what I'm shown just by being selecting with what I watch.

No, “A.I.” “experts” don’t understand this, but these programs develop a relationship with you. If you are predictable enough, they are not interested in spending their time, effort, or energy trying to better understand you.

Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:08 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Shack wrote:
Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:
Algren wrote:
Shack wrote:

They all have different weak points psychologically imo

Twitter makes people act in mobs/packs the most and makes people act in a way where they have to be loud for their tweet to stand out

Instagram is shallow and makes every half decent looking girl think they need to be a thirst trap and self conscious comparing themselves to others

Facebook has a powerful fear factor which is someone you know or like in real life unfriending you and the threat of it intimidating you. eg Any conservative who knows Chippy in real life probably knows they would get unfriended if they post right wing stuff.

Reddit just seems bad for individuals. No avatars etc, and huge number of users, most people barely read the name.

All have incentive to post something fake that gets likes over something honest that doesn’t.

Each serves different purposes.

Anyway, yeah, politics and fake claims that get likes can get attention that honesty might not, but think of supply and demand, if you were to make an analogy, the price of popular nonsense is “dirt cheap”; it’s fleeting and is easily forgotten.

Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:29 am
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

I read the "Restrict Act" and the language is so broad that it seems like the government could use it control anything they want on the internet by labelling it national security related. Tik Tok would just be the excuse, but it's probably not quite a good enough one, what they really need is an internet related national emergency that they can then use to justify giving them more power.

Sun May 07, 2023 1:43 pm
now we know

It's a first draft, ffs. These acts go through multiple iterations.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 07, 2023 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, as is if DeSantis got in power, anything that was deemed to be aimed towards kids and mentions gay people would be banned under the pretext of grooming children

Mon May 08, 2023 3:02 pm
now we know

As Austria have just announced a ban of TikTok on all government devices, I want to make a list of all the current bans:

Countrywide:
Afghanistan
China
India
Iran

Government/Parliament/MOD devices:
Australia
Austria
*NEW*
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
Estonia
European Union
France
Ireland
(advisory)
Latvia
The Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Taiwan
United Kingdom
(+BBC staffers)
United States

The most interesting ban is that of the state of Montana. They have passed legislation for an outright ban, but whether it will be signed into law is another thing altogether. Fingers crossed, and if it is then it will come into effect in January 2024.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu May 11, 2023 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Eh... it might be surprising that Montana is first, but these GOP states with super-majorities in the House/Senate that can even override their Governor (if they would happen to veto) have been on a banning spree of all sorts of things over the past year (other elected members included). They're pretty power-hungry, to say the least. In general, super-majorities are bad, as the fewer states with DEM super-majorities do some dumb things too.

Not to say banning TikTok is ridiculous or anything. I've never used it at all and don't know much about it beyond its huge popularity and potential security risks. It's just that US state governments are getting very... "we do what we want."

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu May 11, 2023 11:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

BREAKING NEWS!

Quote:
Montana is set to become the first US state to ban Chinese-owned media giant TikTok from personal devices.

Governor Greg Gianforte signed the ban into law on Wednesday. It is due to take effect on 1 January.

The video-sharing platform says the ban "infringes on the First Amendment rights of the people of Montana".

---------------------

Countrywide:
Afghanistan
China
India
Iran
United States
(Montana only, effective Jan 1 2024)

Government/Parliament/MOD devices:
Australia
Austria
*NEW*
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
Estonia
European Union
France
Ireland
(advisory)
Latvia
The Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Taiwan
United Kingdom
(+BBC staffers)
United States

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu May 18, 2023 8:57 am
Profile WWW

I do not think banning Tik Tok infringes on the first amendment because the user are not the ones being punished but rather the company that deals in giving secrets to the Chinese government.

Thu May 18, 2023 12:22 pm
now we know

I think they are referring to the freedom of speech part of the first amendment. TikTok supresses voices critical of the Chinese government but boosts those in support of it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu May 18, 2023 1:56 pm
Profile WWW

The question of whether to ban TikTok is a hot topic these days. While concerns about data privacy and potential ties to the Chinese government are valid, I don't think an outright ban is a solution. TikTok can actually be a platform for creativity, entertainment, and connecting with others worldwide. I was browsing online and came across a website where you can buy cheap TikTok likes. It made me realize how influential this app has become in boosting popularity and reaching a wider audience. It's interesting to see how social media platforms like TikTok can shape trends and empower individuals.

Last edited by EmilyRussell on Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:29 am

EmilyRussell wrote:
The question of whether to ban TikTok is a hot topic these days. While concerns about data privacy and potential ties to the Chinese government are valid, I don't think an outright ban is a solution. TikTok can actually be a platform for creativity, entertainment, and connecting with others worldwide.

Solution: another similar platform that isn’t connected to a draconian foreign government

Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next