Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 In which congressional district do you reside? 

Is your representative a
Republican 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Democrat 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Other 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

In which congressional district do you reside? 
Hold the door!

Post In which congressional district do you reside?
I reside in Pennsylvania’s 6th Congressional District. My representative is Chrissy Houlahan (D).

Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:45 pm

Post Re: In which congressional district do you reside?
Val Demings

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:34 pm
Hold the door!

Florida's 10th Congressional District (D)

Do you go to Disney a lot sir?

Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:58 am

I work for Disney

Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:05 am
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I work for Disney

lol i forgot

Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:05 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Carol Miller. Currently WV's 3rd Congressional District, but it'll cease to exist in a few months (WV lost a congressional seat) and become the 1st Congressional District next year. She (and her husband) got $3.1m in PPP loans in 2020, the most of anyone in Congress, I believe, and had it all 100% forgiven by the federal government and is now opposing that students are having $10,000 in loan forgiveness.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I don't know what Miller's role was in PPP exactly, but I think there is a big difference between the government giving loans to businesses forcibly shut down by that same government, and people having loans they took out voluntarily forgiven.

Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:51 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Her husband owns five car dealerships in the state (where she still works as their legal secretary) that were ruled essential businesses by the governor and never closed. Were sales and profits impacted? I imagine so, as fewer people were driving and data suggests it was a nationwide issue. I'm not really arguing that loans to assist businesses impacted with lower sales or closures during the pandemic shouldn't be forgiven. In fact, it's awesome if a government would assist businesses in this manner.

She voted against the Truth Act which would have required the disclosure of the PPP loan recipients and how much. THEN she violated the Stock Act by failing to report her husband's 2021 stock trading (a requirement all lawmakers are supposed to do for them and/or their spouse), where he raked in as much as $800,000 from stocks likely bought using the generous amount of money they received from that $3.1m in PPP loans in 2020.

She, like many lawmakers (of all parties), love to abuse their positions when it comes to receiving free money for themselves. But when it comes to giving a little bit to those in actual need, absolutely not.

And you can say taking out student loans is "voluntary", and sure, it is. But when you live in a country where (on average, at the beginning of 2022) a Bachelor's degree salary (about $65,000) earns you almost 70% more than a High School diploma salary (about $39,000), it doesn't leave many with a choice but to take out student loans to earn that degree if they ever want to have a comfortable life.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

only a third of americans have bachelors degrees so clearly its possible to have a life without them.

Not to mention that figure is driven significanlty by a small percent of upper class politicians, doctors, lawyers etc. that make far more than the majority of college graduates with degrees in business, english, finance etc.

I agree it sounds like your rep is corrupt, though I think it is oversimplifying PPP loans to say theyre exactly the same as student loans

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

From a financial decision the people who went into a trade out of high school and are now making $60,000 a year and paying off a house instead of a student debt, are laughing while the bachelor of arts degree holder is working at Starbucks. However since society is less masculine than it used to be, it's just not an appealing route for a lot of people. Some of us were just never going to be welders or mechanics or the guy up there on the crane no matter what. This then hurts the women by the soft handed men taking half their jobs. Ultimately there being more macho tough guys out there is a more functional model.

Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]