Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Cancellation/race/trans/etc. thread 
Hold the door!

Post Cancellation/race/trans/etc. thread
Last week Morgan Wallen, this week Gina Carano. Who will be canceled next?

I am betting that Chris Pratt will get canceled soon. He has narrowly avoided cancellation too many times before to never get canceled.

Last edited by zwackerm on Wed May 04, 2022 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:04 pm

Post Re: Predict the next celebrity to get canceled!
I think Chris Pratt is level headed enough to avoid the controversy, and big enough to be forgiven

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

Pratt is probably a good call. Gina was definitely #1 draft pick for a variety of reasons. They can't really do anything to people like Jon Voight or Kirstie Alley. I would still be worried if I was a lib like Seth Macfarlane or Eminem even if you've been useful to them.

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:47 pm
The Kramer

Pratt seems like the type of person who is only conservative because his religion tells him to be and his religion only tells him to be because the pubs tell them they are the best religion.

He's probably smart enough to not shout the n word at people from his front door. Or pretend to be a victim and compare himself to the all time worst atrocity (one that people on their side still celebrate no less.)

Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:32 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah Pratt seems smart enough to avoid controversy though I feel general public has moved past him now.

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:15 pm
Defeats all expectations

Quote:
Gina Carano: “Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

Reading just the quote alone and without knowing who wrote it, I thought it was describing Trump's deliberate tactic of making one side hate the other.

I need some clarity of who exactly she thought were being persecuted like Jews in Nazi Germany.

Anyway, making the Holocaust comparison can easily be seen as minimizing the atrocity and tragedy Jews and others suffered in. It would be an easy "cancel" in many Western cultures.

By the way, "Predict the next celebrity to play victim" would be a more interesting topic and much more in line with my distaste for the celebrity culture.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:12 pm

The thing with Gina that gets glossed over in the general discourse was that this was a reoccurring behavior that she was warned about before hand, did it anyways, and is playing up the victim card instead of taking responsibility.

Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:38 am
New Server, Same X

I don't see the issue with Gina. She clearly wanted nothing to do with Disney anymore, got herself fired and now she can do what she wants, which is star in a movie produced by Ben Shapiro. She can act in what she wants and we can laugh at it when it comes out.

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:40 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

On the other hand you guys are free to discuss Gina and Trump related politics here :thumbsup:

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm
The Kramer

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
The thing with Gina that gets glossed over in the general discourse was that this was a reoccurring behavior that she was warned about before hand, did it anyways, and is playing up the victim card instead of taking responsibility.
Too logical for Republicans. You have to frame it in the form of a wild conspiracy.

Like what if Gina was a shape shifting lizard person who lives at the center of the Earth and only got fired for using the jewish space lasers?

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:50 pm
Veteran

She should have known better (and I don't condone what she said) but I'd argue that the "reoccuring behavior" (that is, her comments in 2020) is in the eye of the beholder and since the left controls the bully pulpit, well, there you go.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/11/gina- ... 234600149/

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:31 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Someone from Idol?

Apparently this was filmed prior to Claudia going on social media over abuse allegations, and then to release tapes of her mom and such.

Honestly... this is TLC level trash. Surprised ABC and Idol is running this.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Morgan Wallace has two albums in the top ten. So yelling the N Word at people from your doorstep is now a good way to advance your career if you are a conservative.

But yeah, they’re just a bunch of victims comparable to the all time worst genocides, and definitely didn’t try to end democracy a couple weeks ago. Poor poor conservatives.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

As much as I get your point Flava'd you are essentially doing the same thing the other side did by taking a jab at it every third post. I'd say best not to provoke people and let then sulk if they really want to. You can continue to focus and discuss positive changes instead.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:09 pm
The Kramer

I get your point there. It’s just really wound me up that they have rallied together to be So Outraged like this. Yeah Cancel Culture sucks most of the time, but after everything that’s happened the last few months (the savage attacks on democracy) I think conservatives need to take a break on blaming other people for our country’s issues and take a look in the mirror instead.

But why do that when you can support the racist cowboy instead?

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:56 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Indeed I agree to your point but I believe provoking them by rubbing things in their face will not change their mindset. I'm also trying to be impartial to each poster but I'll leave it to your discretion with my suggestion.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:16 pm
Top Poster

I don’t really know who Morgan Wallace is, but remember when J-Lo rather pretended she was the one who said the n-word in “I’m Real” with Ja Rule (rather than admit Ashanti did most of the singing in the song), and her career got bigger after?

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Ooh it seems like Chris Harrison is the next to get canceled for defending a Bachelor contestant attending an antebellum themed frat party.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

The US is supposed to be the land of the free and right now you are looking at a country where people aren't allowed to work go to concerts or go in a 7/11 without a mask unless the government tells them they can, where free speech and free press are at all time lows (and presumably worse than the majority of first world countries right now, who are quickly becoming wary of importing cancel culture and social media companies that pick political sides), where protests against the government are probably officially or unofficially not going to be allowed going forward. So where do you draw the line? You're just going to trust that the government is going to give you these things back when tools like censorship, state controlled news and banning protests against them are incredibly useful to them staying in power forever? There was a time when people didn't need a reason to support freedom or freedom of speech conditionally on what the impact would be, they did it for the sake of freedom. It appears words like racial equity and environmentalism mean more to millennials and Gen Z than freedom or liberty, and normally I would say if the US wanted to give away its title of the freedom champ just so there's a chance the earth is not as warm in a hundred years, then they deserve what they get, but unfortunately the rest of the world depends on them or else countries like China, Russia, Iran, etc. can do whatever they want with the hall monitor finally out of the way. Plus entertainment wise everyone depends on the US culture where the creativity comes from freedom and individualism. To stop this snowball, and neither the government or the mob seems to show any signs of being satisfied with their level of control so far, the fight has to start somewhere. Why not free speech on the internet? It's the one place anyone can make an impact.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm
Top Poster

Watching the interview, it seems like Chris Harrison is being cancelled for daring to speak out against cancel culture, rather than making any racist statement himself.

It appears that this was the picture of the Bachelor contestant that was considered racist.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I am fully deep in Bachelor Nation (for better or worse lol) and Chris Harrison is not getting canceled for speaking out against "cancel culture."

Yet again Alex Y. is misrepresenting something we can actually read ourselves and trying to gaslight people into believing something else happened.

He is getting canceled for the things he actually said in this interview (which, mind you, was with a black woman who was once a lead of this franchise) - he basically said attending an antebellum themed party isn't OK now but was OK in 2018 when this girl Rachael did it...um, no? This interview was yet another example of a rich white guy trying to tell people of color how they should feel about something that he has zero frame of reference for.

The Bachelor franchise has had a consistently problematic past with race and diversity and his interview obviously touched a nerve.

You can think whatever you want about cancel culture and its implications (I happen to think people are way too quick to pull the trigger on cancellation in many cases) but vehemently defending racist and at best completely ignorant behavior will get you nowhere in 2021.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:37 am
Devil's Advocate

Harrison the latest example of someone who made the mistake of thinking apologizing or bowing to the mob by stepping aside does anything, all it does is signal to them that you're easy prey. There is nothing you can do that will satisfy their appetite for destruction. The correct move is complete silence and let them move onto another target in two weeks.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:46 pm
Romosexual!

cancel culture is not a real thing.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:22 pm
Hold the door!

Rev wrote:
cancel culture is not a real thing.

Lol.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:32 pm
Top Poster

Libs wrote:
I am fully deep in Bachelor Nation (for better or worse lol) and Chris Harrison is not getting canceled for speaking out against "cancel culture."

Yet again Alex Y. is misrepresenting something we can actually read ourselves and trying to gaslight people into believing something else happened.

He is getting canceled for the things he actually said in this interview (which, mind you, was with a black woman who was once a lead of this franchise) - he basically said attending an antebellum themed party isn't OK now but was OK in 2018 when this girl Rachael did it...um, no? This interview was yet another example of a rich white guy trying to tell people of color how they should feel about something that he has zero frame of reference for.

The Bachelor franchise has had a consistently problematic past with race and diversity and his interview obviously touched a nerve.

You can think whatever you want about cancel culture and its implications (I happen to think people are way too quick to pull the trigger on cancellation in many cases) but vehemently defending racist and at best completely ignorant behavior will get you nowhere in 2021.

2020 was the big shift, that’s when Lady Antebellum became Lady A and Dixie Chicks became The Chicks. Back in 2018 most people didn’t realize those groups were considered racist.

It wasn’t only in 2020 that standing for the national anthem was considered racist. If you ever stood for the national anthem before 2020, then you have been a racist, even if you plead ignorance. If you dare try to say someone shouldn’t be cancelled for standing for the National Anthem back in 2018 since it was a different time, then you are also a racist who should be cancelled as well, because Colin Kaeparnick already told us it was racist to do so already back in 2016, and you’re a racist for not realizing until 2020.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 479 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next