Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Cancellation/race/trans/etc. thread 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Cancellation of pop culture and celebrities thread
Cynosure wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Cynosure wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:
A fetus isn't a person, its a parasite, and nobody besides the host should have a say on whether the parasite is allowed to persist.

Now, if you wanna make an argument that these hoes need to stop getting pregnant in our already overpopulated world then I'm right with you. But we know the Christian Taliban isn't gonna do anything to make acquiring contraceptions easier.Even rape is a "gift from God" in their eyes after all. Thus why so many priests give their gifts to young boys.

A parasite is an invader, except for in cases of rape which account for less than 1% of abortions, then it is not an invader, the woman allowed the man to ejaculate semen inside of her and risk pregnancy.

You can't take actions you know can result in a baby and then use abortion as post hoc birth contro and claim you had no choice. If you are in a position where you think you would have to get an abortion, and could not keep the baby or give it up for adoption, you should not be having sex

Unfortunately birth control doesn't have a 100% success rate.

You want less abortions? Make tubal litigations and vasectomies less expensive and more widely available.

Exactly, which is why if you can't do the bare minimum and carry the baby for 9 months before giving it up, you should not be having sex.

But you know damn well that's never going to happen. If you're against abortions for philosophical or religious reasons, you need to implement policies so people who want to have sex, which is a perfectly normal desire, but not have a child can do so without having to pay thousands of dollars. Saying "well don't have sex" is hypocritical and tone-deaf.

I know tons of people who abstain from sex for this very reason. Again saying "people will do bad things anyway, so why discourage them?" is a terrible argument for why things should not be legal.

Society was ruined in the 1960's with the sexual revolution. Sex and children never should have been separated from each other and we are reaping the consequences.

Odds are over 99% that you will not get pregnant if you use contraception. If you do get pregnant accidentally, you will probably never get accidentally pregnant again. But having to not murder one child is so incredibly cumbersome apparently.

Humans biology does not allow them to have completely child free sex. Sorry to break it to everyone. You don't have the right to child free sex by nature.

No one should ever have to reap the natural consequences of sex, or any other poor decision, according to some people

Tue May 03, 2022 3:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

zwackerm wrote:
Corpse wrote:
Dude, women aren't out here getting abortions with the mindset that they're murdering their baby. It's a insult to suggest they are even if you *believe* they are.

Just cause someone doesn't believe what they are doing is wrong doesn't make it not wrong.

By your logic, we should just abolish states if you don't think they should be able to pass laws you don't like

I don't care about same sex marriage really since marriage is before God, not before the government.

Just cause someone believes what they are doing is right doesn't make it right.

By your logic, we should just allow states to pass laws that you like.

I care about same-sex marriage because it gives me (and others) legal rights and various opportunities not given to unmarried couples.

Stop this nonsense of "right and wrong". That's not for you, nor anyone else, to decide for others. I know you're religious, and that's obviously fine. But it's not fine to use faith to determine what's "best" for others. That's between you and God. Just like how it's between someone else and their chosen religion / belief, if they choose to have one / any.

Stop telling people they can't choose to have an abortion. Stop telling people they can't marry another person. Stop telling people to not have sex, a basic human desire, if they don't want kids. If you don't want any of these things, cool. But others do and it's not your right to deny it.

And to add to your "bare minimum of carrying a baby before giving it up" nonsense, even ignoring any mental and physical concerns, you know it costs over $10,000 to even have a baby, and if there are complications, it can double and triple in cost, right? I know you're going to say "that's a consequence of having sex! They should know it'll cost them! Blah blah blah." What do you tell rape victims? I know you're going to say "that's only 0.0001% of abortions!" Okay, so we just... add often crippling financial debt to something they never chose? And you might say next "abortion costs money, too!" Yeah, but usually a few hundred dollars. Would you agree that the states that bans abortions should fully pay for a rape victims birth and any other financial losses, and any therapy they may need for much of their life, that they suffer? Because they 100% should if they're giving their citizens one option, the option they decided, not the women.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm
Profile WWW

Also people had premarital sex before the 1960s, it just was taboo to talk about it in the media or polite company.

Tue May 03, 2022 4:21 pm
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Corpse wrote:
Dude, women aren't out here getting abortions with the mindset that they're murdering their baby. It's a insult to suggest they are even if you *believe* they are.

Just cause someone doesn't believe what they are doing is wrong doesn't make it not wrong.

By your logic, we should just abolish states if you don't think they should be able to pass laws you don't like

I don't care about same sex marriage really since marriage is before God, not before the government.

Just cause someone believes what they are doing is right doesn't make it right.

By your logic, we should just allow states to pass laws that you like.

I care about same-sex marriage because it gives me (and others) legal rights and various opportunities not given to unmarried couples.

Stop this nonsense of "right and wrong". That's not for you, nor anyone else, to decide for others. I know you're religious, and that's obviously fine. But it's not fine to use faith to determine what's "best" for others. That's between you and God. Just like how it's between someone else and their chosen religion / belief, if they choose to have one / any.

Stop telling people they can't choose to have an abortion. Stop telling people they can't marry another person. Stop telling people to not have sex, a basic human desire, if they don't want kids. If you don't want any of these things, cool. But others do and it's not your right to deny it.

And to add to your "bare minimum of carrying a baby before giving it up" nonsense, even ignoring any mental and physical concerns, you know it costs over $10,000 to even have a baby, and if there are complications, it can double and triple in cost, right? I know you're going to say "that's a consequence of having sex! They should know it'll cost them! Blah blah blah." What do you tell rape victims? I know you're going to say "that's only 0.0001% of abortions!" Okay, so we just... add often crippling financial debt to something they never chose? And you might say next "abortion costs money, too!" Yeah, but usually a few hundred dollars. Would you agree that the states that bans abortions should fully pay for a rape victims birth and any other financial losses, and any therapy they may need for much of their life, that they suffer? Because they 100% should if they're giving their citizens one option, the option they decided, not the women.

You do know that all law governs what is "right and wrong"? Having a society means that if people democratically vote that they do not want something in their society, they don't have to legally have it.

It's a false dichotomy to say "it's ok for you to have morals, but don't foist your morality on me!" and then turn around and advocate for it to be morally acceptable to kill babies. Just because someones morals do not come from a specific organized religion doesn't mean that forcing that morality on anyone is inherently more moral.
And adoptive parents/state programs can cover all costs for adoptive mothers if it is a problem for them?

Corpse wrote:
Would you agree that the states that bans abortions should fully pay for a rape victims birth and any other financial losses, and any therapy they may need for much of their life, that they suffer?

Sure, I'm all for making as easy for women to keep babies as possible

Tue May 03, 2022 4:33 pm
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Also people had premarital sex before the 1960s, it just was taboo to talk about it in the media or polite company.

Yeah obviously but it was frowned upon rightly. Just because something bad will happen anyway doesn't mean that stigma should be gotten rid of

May as well add "stop telling people they can't own slaves!" "stop telling people they can't gas jews!" "stop telling people they can segregate their business" if you think that the rule of law can't be used to protect people's right to life

Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

If you believe (or consider, I suppose) that a fetus is a baby, and therefore a person, then you also agree that it should receive the same rights, protections, etc., as a born individual, yes?

-Citizenship (although I guess we need to redefine what "born" means)
-Child support
-Tax credit and tax related things in general
-Insurance claim / collections if they die (miscarry, stillbirth)
-Legal actions against a workplace if, by having a pregnant woman come to work despite exhaustion, results in birth defects or death (miscarry, stillbirth)
-Legal actions against the mother if her lifestyle (smoking, drinking, etc.) is a cause of compilations or death (miscarry, stillbirth). In fact, I find it hard to argue that smoking and drinking shouldn't be banned for pregnant woman in this case.
-Legal actions against those that may be linked to birth defects, miscarries, stillbirths, etc., such as, for one example, against a restaurant that can be linked to food poisoning that affected and/or killed the baby
-Legal actions against the mother, a restaurant or business, what have you, by the child (once born) if any of their actions while they were still in the womb caused a disability or put their life in jeopardy
-SO many legal actions
-Deportation of a US citizen for existing if the mother is an illegal immigrant that conceives in the US

Do you agree with all this and SO much more? Not saying any of this is ridiculous or anything, or that they should be considered a reason to keep abortion legal, but if the unborn is considered born (or a person), then all that goes with that needs to apply.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue May 03, 2022 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

The left cannibalized some of their previous abortion arguments with their views the last few years

eg.

“My body my choice” A: “What about for vaccine mandates?”

“Men shouldn’t have any say in a woman’s issue” A: “Don’t you believe men can get pregnant? So now you know what a woman is?”

Tue May 03, 2022 8:04 pm

Never heard the argument that men can get pregnant.

Nice to see the Libertarians are starting to get a little sweaty seeing as they ponied up with the Religious Right over the Left post 2008 now that they have seen what they have unearthed. Not saying I am part of “The Left” but it is interesting to witness

Tue May 03, 2022 9:19 pm
Sbil

Of course I’m not remotely surprised this is happening but I’m devastated all the same. Why do these people want to dictate what women do with their own bodies? This is going to have devastating repercussions that impact poor and minority women the most. A genuine catastrophe.

Tue May 03, 2022 9:57 pm

Interesting to see one: how long this lasts. And two: how a party built upon the singular issue of abortion since 1972 will evolve going forward.

Tue May 03, 2022 10:11 pm
Superfreak

Not over yet, rumors it was leaked to put pressure on a conservative who they think is going to cave, either ACB or BK. I think they're playing with pandoras box here. The move will be seen as shockingly political and create an epic rallying cry for 2022 midterms.

Also...holy fuck. RBG not retiring under Obama is just a historic mistake, sorry to say. Also. 2016 continues to be a historically influential election.

Tue May 03, 2022 10:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

Never heard the argument that men can get pregnant.

For people who think trans men are men, it means men can get pregnant

Tue May 03, 2022 11:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

Nice to see the Libertarians are starting to get a little sweaty seeing as they ponied up with the Religious Right over the Left post 2008 now that they have seen what they have unearthed. Not saying I am part of “The Left” but it is interesting to witness

I don't think libertarians are that bothered by the supreme court ruling if they feel fetus are alive and have the same rights as newborns, Ron Paul is very pro life for example

But on the whole you could make the argument the woke era is a dead man walking and the bigger threat in terms of freedom may be the right wing whiplash going too far, with as I said in another post some storm clouds brewing over what DeSantis is doing in terms of using government control and censorship.

Tue May 03, 2022 11:25 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Excel wrote:
Not over yet, rumors it was leaked to put pressure on a conservative who they think is going to cave, either ACB or BK. I think they're playing with pandoras box here. The move will be seen as shockingly political and create an epic rallying cry for 2022 midterms.

Also...holy fuck. RBG not retiring under Obama is just a historic mistake, sorry to say. Also. 2016 continues to be a historically influential election.

She would have needed to do it in Obama's first term because McConnell wouldn't have put any of his nominees to replace her up for a hearing, much less confirmation. He's already said if he's majority leader he'll do everything he can to stop Biden as well, so I wouldn't expect anymore Biden picks if the GOP retakes the Senate in November. McConnell's actions regarding SCOTUS in 2016 is one of the most blatant abuses of power ever, and has set precedent for future majorities to ignore a President's constitutional duty to fill empty SCOTUS seats.

As much as Trump and the loonies that align with him bash McConnell, they don't seem to realize just how insanely "effective" he has been for the right. Assuming Roe is overturned, he takes the most credit for years he's been focused on moving the courts off balance and too far right to get it done. Stacking the courts has been his, and conservatives, goal for a long time so they can, essentially, rewrite history via the courts unchecked.

And it doesn't help that Senate Democrats have been truly awful in doing anything (like codifying Roe) not just this session, but in many years past. They always use these major moments (and this is as big of a moment as it gets now) to try and drive voters to the polls instead of taking action when they have the power to do it.

Tue May 03, 2022 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

People in this thread not having sex aren't abstinent, nobody wants to fuck them.

If this goes through, it would be the most preposterous ruling in decades. I hope everyone knows this would now also make IVF illegal in these red states. Because people like zwackerm who jerk off into a tissue think the egg fertilized in a lab is actually a human being!!!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed May 04, 2022 1:55 pm
The Kramer

Yeah RBG retiring would have changed nothing since Mitch would've blocked her replacement no matter what. She, along with everyone else, probably thought Hilary had an easy win coming up too.

Wed May 04, 2022 2:58 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

65% of abortions are performed in the first 8 weeks.

(the earliest you can typically know you're pregnant is 5 weeks, and most OBGYN don't do the first verification until week 12)

91% of abortions are performed in the first 13 weeks.

7.6% of abortions are performed from weeks 14-21.

1.4% are performed after 21 weeks.

Most of those 9% are only done that late because of either expenses, or limited access. So expect those numbers to skyrocket with this ruling.

Girls under 15 make up the largest portion of that 9%.

So zwackerm, if you want women to stop having abortions, provide easy abortion access. That's the solution.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed May 04, 2022 3:05 pm
Sbil

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/15 ... bJFT_V8Wow

This is what the Republican Party thinks of women.

Wed May 04, 2022 3:53 pm
Superfreak

RGB should have retied 2009-2012. 100% no doubt about it. The consequences of her decision not to are simply staggering.

Important to remember that the vast majority of the country - which includes MANY republicans - do not want it overturned.

Wed May 04, 2022 8:23 pm
New Server, Same X

Libs wrote:
Of course I’m not remotely surprised this is happening but I’m devastated all the same. Why do these people want to dictate what women do with their own bodies? This is going to have devastating repercussions that impact poor and minority women the most. A genuine catastrophe.

Poor people and minorities. Two groups the right hate. Why can't they be rich and white?

I don't know how anyone tries to reason with people who live their life dictated by an imaginary figure in the sky.

Sat May 07, 2022 3:53 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Cancellation thread

Still relevant almost 30 years later.

Sat May 07, 2022 3:59 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

If abortion is legal then I think men should also have the option to forego paternity rights but also not have to pay child support. Otherwise enforced child support is tantamount to slavery. Both parents should be able to decide whether or not they want to be a parent with all the rights and responsibilities that includes.

Mon May 09, 2022 4:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
If abortion is legal then I think men should also have the option to forego paternity rights but also not have to pay child support. Otherwise enforced child support is tantamount to slavery. Both parents should be able to decide whether or not they want to be a parent with all the rights and responsibilities that includes.

I wouldn't have a problem with getting rid of child support and letting people live with the consequences of having bad taste in romantic partners

Mon May 09, 2022 5:07 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Barrabás wrote:

So the punishment for men for having a child would be nothing. And the punishment for women would be raising a child on their own.

Gotcha.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 09, 2022 7:07 pm
Keeping it Light

Not only that, imagine how many more kids would grow up without a father and society to deteriorate even more.

Mon May 09, 2022 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next