Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Cancellation/race/trans/etc. thread 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Predict the next celebrity to get canceled!
In regards to a post I just deleted, please do not do things like say someone cannot have an opinion on something because of their skin colour, and that includes white

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:30 pm
Sbil

Shack wrote:
In regards to a post I just deleted, please do not do things like say someone cannot have an opinion on something because of their skin colour, and that includes white

That is not at all what I said, but go off I guess. It's just as well, I don't know why I even bother. All you and Alex Y. even do on this board is gaslight people.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:53 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Shack wrote:

Just checking did you actually delete someone else's post? We as this board's administrators should not be doing that without warnings. There are people on both sides here so it's best to edit parts of posts instead after several warnings. Also given that you are actively part of these conversations please report the post for another administrator (does not have to be me) to review before taking any action.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Top Poster

I didn’t see the deleted post, but hoping there is no need for deleting of posts here (especially from those I disagree with). I know my posts here would be deleted in many other places, and appreciated that this place was not so heavily censored.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Shack wrote:

Just checking did you actually delete someone else's post? We as this board's administrators should not be doing that without warnings. There are people on both sides here so it's best to edit parts of posts instead after several warnings. Also given that you are actively part of these conversations please report the post for another administrator (does not have to be me) to review before taking any action.

I thought I was following your precedent, but in the future I will PM first

I do not see posts that start with the words "White man" as on any less thin ice than if someone was arguing with a black poster and started by derogatorily calling them Black Man. But I'm aware since most other forums now subscribe to critical race theory reverse mirrorland where words like toxic whiteness and white fragility is not considered racism compared to if you substituted black for white in those phrases, some leeway can be allowed

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am not arguing about the post and your actions Shack but I have never deleted posts on the forum (and that only happened once after multiple warnings to the poster in question) though I have heavily edited them without warnings.

As for your individual case because you seem invested in one side of the conversation I feel it's unfair to other posters that you are allowed to delete their posts from Politics forum. Please continue to do so in other forums as part of your administrator duties.

Thank you for understanding and I hope all posters understand the reasons why we take these actions. Please feel free to debate and bring your points in a healthy conversation to this forum.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:14 pm
Romosexual!

Libs wrote:
Shack wrote:

That is not at all what I said, but go off I guess. It's just as well, I don't know why I even bother. All you and Alex Y. even do on this board is gaslight people.

Put the post back, Shack.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:09 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Rev wrote:
Libs wrote:
Shack wrote:

Put the post back, Shack.

Unfortunately once a post is deleted it cannot be returned back. :(

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:25 pm
Cream of the Crop

Shack

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It was a one line post by that responded to Alex's Kaepernick post by implying that he's making it because he's a white man, a card that I think leads nowhere good, and felt hostile enough at the time that it could have been responded to as a personal attack. Yes I may have acted too fast and acted on my own biases towards identity politics and belief anti-white posts should be treated the same as anti-black (which I believe most want not to be allowed), as I intend this to be a free speech forum.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm
The Kramer

Making a free speech forum = deleting posts you don’t agree with.

#RepublicanLogic

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:16 pm
Hold the door!

Yeah what Libs said was not worth deleting any more than her average post is.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:

#RepublicanLogic

Would you be ok if with me deleting a post if someone was arguing with Magnus and referred to him as "Brown man" in a antagonistic context?

I would be ok with a forum that's the wild wild west 4chan style in terms of rules, but I don't think people want that 100% hands off style, and that's not how things have been handled the last 15 years. The only thing therefore to do is to act consistently and due to my beliefs I'm not going to treat any races differently when it comes to how it's not cool to refer to someone's while arguing with them.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 pm
Romosexual!

Shack wrote:
It was a one line post by that responded to Alex's Kaepernick post by implying that he's making it because he's a white man, a card that I think leads nowhere good, and felt hostile enough at the time that it could have been responded to as a personal attack. Yes I may have acted too fast and acted on my own biases towards identity politics and belief anti-white posts should be treated the same as anti-black (which I believe most want not to be allowed), as I intend this to be a free speech forum.

At least talk to the others in charge before just deleting it. Don't do that again.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:24 pm
Sbil

For the record, my post was not criticizing Alex Y. for having an opinion as a white man...this would be patently ridiculous given that I'm a white woman, lol.

I took issue with his post seeming to lecture people about what/when things became appropriate or didn't or became racist or didn't, in 2018 vs. 2021, etc.

All I was saying is that, BECAUSE of his position as a white man who does not have to deal with the associated racism and/or perceptions of it, he should not be in a position to tell people ("the mob" or "the woke" as they have been referred to on KJ) what to think about it and "when" people considered antebellum glorification racist. That's all. It's less about finding fault with the argument itself (he is entitled to his opinions on this, no matter how much I might disagree) and more being aware of the sensitivity surrounding the issue for black people that he really can't speak to in his position.

Granted, this is also me assuming Alex Y. is a white man. Maybe he is not and I have totally missed the pot here.

Quote:
2020 was the big shift, that’s when Lady Antebellum became Lady A and Dixie Chicks became The Chicks. Back in 2018 most people didn’t realize those groups were considered racist.

It wasn’t only in 2020 that standing for the national anthem was considered racist. If you ever stood for the national anthem before 2020, then you have been a racist, even if you plead ignorance. If you dare try to say someone shouldn’t be cancelled for standing for the National Anthem back in 2018 since it was a different time, then you are also a racist who should be cancelled as well, because Colin Kaeparnick already told us it was racist to do so already back in 2016, and you’re a racist for not realizing until 2020.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:37 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Flava'd vs The World wrote:

#RepublicanLogic

Would you be ok if with me deleting a post if someone was arguing with Magnus and referred to him as "Brown man" in a antagonistic context?

I would be ok with a forum that's the wild wild west 4chan style in terms of rules, but I don't think people want that 100% hands off style, and that's not how things have been handled the last 15 years. The only thing therefore to do is to act consistently and due to my beliefs I'm not going to treat any races differently when it comes to how it's not cool to refer to someone's while arguing with them.
People called Magnus a Paki all the time.

We know you love 4chan style considering you reposted all of the outrageous conspiracy rhetoric that directly lead to a terrorist attack on the American capitol.

Impeach Shack?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:00 pm
Top Poster

First of all, I wanted to clarify my comments about National Anthem (since it’s not entirely obvious to me upon reading it back) was meant as a point of comparison since most of us have stood for the National Anthem and not wore traditional period dresses (though I do think a future celebrity will get criticized for standing for it in public once lockdowns are over), and it’s not my personal claim that standing for National Anthem is necessarily an act of racism.

In terms of Chris Harrison being a white man, it is the responsibility of the interviewer to not ask questions they deem inappropriate or offensive to be answered. If Rachel Lindsey really believe white men shouldn’t have an opinion on this subject, she should take responsibility for both allowing him to have that platform on her show and directly asking him questions about this topic.

For the premise that only a black person whose ancestors were slaves can speak to this topic, I would then say following that premise, then even people like Kamala Harris or Barack Obama have no right to speak either, since they were both descendants of slaveowners. It is unfair to group privileged and underprivileged together as one group.

In terms of my personal identity, like Martin Luther King says, I do not wish to be judged by the color of my skin and Eli eve only racists would find relevance in my divulging that information. Also, I enjoy my online privilege to identify as whatever gender I’d like to be considered as.

Libs wrote:
For the record, my post was not criticizing Alex Y. for having an opinion as a white man...this would be patently ridiculous given that I'm a white woman, lol.

I took issue with his post seeming to lecture people about what/when things became appropriate or didn't or became racist or didn't, in 2018 vs. 2021, etc.

All I was saying is that, BECAUSE of his position as a white man who does not have to deal with the associated racism and/or perceptions of it, he should not be in a position to tell people ("the mob" or "the woke" as they have been referred to on KJ) what to think about it and "when" people considered antebellum glorification racist. That's all. It's less about finding fault with the argument itself (he is entitled to his opinions on this, no matter how much I might disagree) and more being aware of the sensitivity surrounding the issue for black people that he really can't speak to in his position.

Granted, this is also me assuming Alex Y. is a white man. Maybe he is not and I have totally missed the pot here.

Quote:
2020 was the big shift, that’s when Lady Antebellum became Lady A and Dixie Chicks became The Chicks. Back in 2018 most people didn’t realize those groups were considered racist.

It wasn’t only in 2020 that standing for the national anthem was considered racist. If you ever stood for the national anthem before 2020, then you have been a racist, even if you plead ignorance. If you dare try to say someone shouldn’t be cancelled for standing for the National Anthem back in 2018 since it was a different time, then you are also a racist who should be cancelled as well, because Colin Kaeparnick already told us it was racist to do so already back in 2016, and you’re a racist for not realizing until 2020.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Guys it was a genuine mistake from Shack and not in regards to his political affiliation. We have talked and he understands his sensitive position on Politics forum. Let's not gang on him as I am sure he will be careful in future about this.

Let's proceed with rest of our discussions as even with all the fights this is the most spicy and informative forum at KJ right now :thumbsup:

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:42 pm
Star Trek XI

zwackerm wrote:
Rev wrote:
cancel culture is not a real thing.

Lol.

It's absolute bullshit, there's a difference between holding others accountable for their actions and finding shit to drag people's names through the mud and go after their reputation with a mob like mentality and take glee in trying to tarnish their reputation. It's all on a case by case basis of course but some people (especially fucking twitter) just love to see people "fall from grace" (except not really) and it's fucking pathetic. I'm all for preaching tolerance(and as a gay man I am in a marginalized group-though not by race) but some people take it entirely too far, and also with making 40 minute YT videos about SATC and Gossip Girl and pointing out every single problematic trope from shows that ended years ago and if the reboots will be "woke" or not. Enough already!!

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm
Defeats all expectations

Look at all these people getting cancelled for standing for the National Anthem!

Sure they are the victims when they are in the supermajority and joined by people from the higher-ups.

Colin Kaepernick was benched for kneeling for the anthem in protest of racism and police brutality.

The Dixie Chicks was censored by radio stations for criticizing Bush and his Iraq war.

For a culture that values individualism, America seems so fixated on the collective display of patriotism, voluntary or not.

The national anthem controversy is greatly exaggerated. This is one thing I dislike about right-wing media: they love to play victims. Their mission is to dumb down everything and numb people's thinking minds. They are too deceitful and cowardly to ever claim responsibilities.

Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

Yes, there have been times when Republicans "cancelled" someone. Has there been any right wing equivalent to the current bloodthirsty mob of wokesters that go around actively searching for reasons to cancel people (including cancelling regular people for things like a Halloween costume or cancelling a random high school girl for a racial slur from years ago, let alone celebrities for any slip up) and use shame as a weapon therefore making everyone else walk on eggshells? No. I would also say situations like Kaepernick and JK Rowling are different than the normal cancellations as it was their decision to make the political statement and invite the firestorm, there has always been celebs doing that from time to time like Sinead O'Conor tearing up the picture of the pope. The current version started with the justified cancellations during MeToo and then ended with them having a hammer and everything else looking like a nail.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:31 am
Devil's Advocate

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:20 pm
The Kramer

What about the time Emmet Till was cancelled for whistling at a white woman?

At least people survive in liberal Consequence Culture. Their voices just get a little quieter.

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Hold the door!

So apparently they canceled 6 Dr. Seuss books last year due to “racist imagery”.

And To think that I saw it on Mulberry Street
McElligotts Pool
On beyond zebra
If I ran the zoo
The cats Quizzer
Scrambled eggs super

Seems like a Easy solution would be to edit the illustrations rather than stop Publishing classic works of children’s literature but ok.

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 pm

I think we’re losing our ability to understand moral ambiguity as a culture. It’s gotten very Kantian as of late

Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next