Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 27  Next
 2024 election - Second Republican debate 

Is Biden vs Trump 2 really going to happen?
Yes, it is inevitable 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
No - A rematch just doesn’t feel right! Something has to give 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8

2024 election - Second Republican debate 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: 2024 election - Trump III: Trump’s Last Stand
We’ll win or lose, it should be entertaining, at least through the primaries, Biden/Trump 2 would just be rehashing 2020 and J6

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:12 pm

Very weak announcement. Desperately trying to hold onto the party

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:14 pm
Superfreak

Trump is old as hell, the energy isn't close to what it once was. That was like watching Randy Moss on the 49ers. Its the same and yet, it isn't at all.

Republicans need to get tough fast - come out hard and crush this before it goes any further. It's their only hope. Follow McConnell's lead and attack verbally and aggressively.

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:48 pm
Sbil

Not this pathetic loser trying to make MAGAGA a thing. :lol:

Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Such a contrast between adult speeches like that and vs the immature sounding DeSantis and Youngkin attacks on Truth Social

Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:56 am
Hold the door!

If Trump wins the nomination I'll move to Mars I just can't take any more losing

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:07 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Okay, this is hilarious.

But in all seriousness, we shouldn't be underestimating him. Or rather, his diehard supporters. If the GOP field is packed with candidates in 2024 (which it *should* be), it's not hard to imagine Trump cruising to a relatively easy victory in the primaries. Even if a third of the primary voters support him, it could/would be enough to push him through if there are just two or three candidates splitting the rest of the votes. (The GOP primaries have been AWFUL at selecting general candidates.)

Anyone considering a run, from DeSantis, Pence, that Alpha Male guy (Adam?) on Twitter who takes his toddlers to Hooters, etc., needs to hit Trump hard and not pull any punches. Trump isn't going to back away from damaging his own party members, so they shouldn't roll over for him either. Chip away at his primary base. He has WAY more to be attacked on than any number of candidates combined.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

The RNC needs to rally everyone they can around one candidate or Trump will have a great shot to win the nomination

Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:12 pm
Devil's Advocate

I'm assuming it will be like Bernie where they will get the other ones out of the way right before Super Tuesday or whatever.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:26 pm
Superfreak

I think a handful of candidates, lead by DeSantis and Pence, will draw considerable support while others on the sideline bombard DT. We'll see where they get when debates begin next summer. Then they will assess polling as primary season begins and then consolidate quickly. The other item of note is what they will do when DT threatens third party. They're pretty much going to have confront that head on and bite the bullet. Pence continues to fly under the radar in my view. He is DT policy with serious governing, mature, drama-free persona. I expect him to over perform once he gets out in the open.

Biden remains quite popular and successful, but his age really catching up to him. I think he is running until he says he isn't running, but no Biden would create a bit of a void for Dems. Pete would probably be my choice for next in line if so. Kamala is def. underrated and seems to have improved her reputation in recent months, but Pete is just too gifted of a communicator,

Pete/Whitmer ticket should lock up PA/MI/WI and a Dem victory with it.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:41 pm
Hold the door!

Yeah Pete Buttigieg and Kamala Harris are so well liked lol.

Not saying they couldn't win but it would be far from certain. If they did it would just be because they were Democrats and people in 2024 wanted to vote for Democrats

Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

I won't expect any Democrat to win primary unless they can get black votes (Buttigieg can't). I don't expect it to be relevant though since most likely Biden is candidate.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:02 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
If Trump wins the nomination I'll move to Mars I just can't take any more losing

Literally the only Republican policy! Winning! Is that honestly all you care about? Just an unserious political party.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:51 pm
The Kramer

I think he'll cruise through the primaries, but will he claim voter fraud if he doesn't win Iowa? Can we get that out of the way before the real election? It's what I'm most worried about.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

Trump as nominee could go badly but at this point Republicans are underdog either way, this midterm proved the idea that the Republicans could throw a normal person out there and roast Biden like 1980 Jimmy Carter due to inflation is over. Left wing/pro Democrat activism is baked into the culture, like going to Marvel movies.

Any non-Trump candidate's map is also awful if they give up the rust belt. It's hard enough to win all of Georgia, Arizona and Nevada at this point as states like Georgia and Arizona keep having Californians move there, and that wouldn't even be enough to cancel out Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin loss.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:35 pm
Superfreak

Romney would have crushed Biden in 2020. Dems are far from assured dude .

Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:23 pm
Superfreak

Obviously he would not be my choice for President. But I do think that Mitt Romney would win 75% of the vote in suburban America if he ran in 2024. I don't think it would be even close. He proves once again that he can read a room:

Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:19 pm
Devil's Advocate

It's a pretty dead issue at this point. It's time to move on to polygamy argument since I think there's a better case against it.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

A lot of relief that this appears set to pass. Seemed like it was just going to get delayed and delayed until it was too late and the GOP retook the House. Doubt 3 of the 12 GOP Senators would suddenly change their minds in the coming days. Like, Obergefell being struck down next year is at least 50/50. The idea of my marriage just not being legal and recognized anymore is an insane thought.

It's not perfect protection, as some states could still "ban" same-sex marriage (or at least decide not to issue anymore marriage licenses) if they choose if Obergefell falls, but at least they have to recognize marriage licenses of their own residents if issued in another state.

The question I'm researching is if current same-sex marriages issued in a state that would ban them are still recognized there. I'd assume no, but what a mess that'd make to have thousands of marriages suddenly invalid. I wouldn't have to travel *too* far to get remarried if that happened, but how ridiculous is knowing my marriage could be legal one day where I live, not the next day, and then legal again the following day after going to a courthouse a couple hours away in a neighboring state. All that'd change is what state issued the license...

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Progress is progress. The guy from Montana bellowing "aint the governments right to tell y'all who to love" is an insane, enormous jump from where this was just ten years ago and a great thing for the lgbtq crowd. Another ten years and the controversy that once surrounded it will be a complete after thought.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:39 pm
Hold the door!

I don't see the benefit in the Republicans voting for this bill. Do they think LGBT people are gonna vote for them in large swaths now?

It's unlikely in my lifetime that traditional marriage will ever have enough popular support to be politically a winner so at the very least this will help Republicans accomplish other things as hopefully the LGBT people will be less scared of them and less likely to vote against their other policies

I was shocked to see that a whole third of LGBT people vote for Republicans in exit polls. Thought it would be more like 15-20%

Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:54 am

The midterms show you gotta win in the middle still. Trump in 2020 and his candidates in 2022 were all about maximizing the base, and this led to a horrific 2022 midterm and split tickets in 2020. So with most of the nation moving past supporting traditional marriages, getting behind the bill is going to accomplish exactly what you were talking about Zwack: telling conservative LGBT voters they don’t have to fear the GOP.

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:37 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
I don't see the benefit in the Republicans voting for this bill. Do they think LGBT people are gonna vote for them in large swaths now?

It's unlikely in my lifetime that traditional marriage will ever have enough popular support to be politically a winner so at the very least this will help Republicans accomplish other things as hopefully the LGBT people will be less scared of them and less likely to vote against their other policies

I was shocked to see that a whole third of LGBT people vote for Republicans in exit polls. Thought it would be more like 15-20%

How about "being a decent person"?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:38 pm

I guess Trump now wants us to ignore the Constitution and reinstall him as President. Obviously the media is over hyping this story, but I just don’t know how level headed people can keep supporting Trump who is just such a joke of a person. Like how do people take this guy seriously. I mean, the dude is a clown. Also haven’t seen any posts this way in a while, hope all is well.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:26 am
Devil's Advocate

Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 27  Next