Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next
 2024 election - Second Republican debate 

Is Biden vs Trump 2 really going to happen?
Yes, it is inevitable 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
No - A rematch just doesn’t feel right! Something has to give 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8

2024 election - Second Republican debate 

Post Re: 2024 election - Trump III: Trump’s Last Stand
Shack wrote:

That was so funny I had to share it with my wife

Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:31 pm
The Kramer

The blue shell proves that there was election fraud!!!!

Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:06 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Speaking of Mario Kart... Nintendo chose chaos with its brand new update today in MK8 Deluxe! You can now select the items you wish to race with online (like items in Smash), meaning you can only select blue shells if you like.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:43 pm
Profile WWW

Fantastic

Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

She makes her future 2% of the vote run official

Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:33 pm

DeSantis officially enters the ring.

Wed May 24, 2023 10:08 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

To a bit of a thud due to tech issues if the headlines and twitter are accurate. And they somehow got talking about Hitler and/or Nazis in the announcement? (Not gonna watch it.)

And Trump is going to eat him alive with the attacks (already started, besides the national TV ads that have been running for months, by posting this genius clip tonight with Elon's failed launch and even using the Jeb Bush 2016 font)):

And... I'm rotting for Trump. :wacko:

Ron might be even more exhausting than Trump with his "turn all my answers into woke replies" strategy. It is literally ALL he talks about. I don't know if it was tonight or not, but just saw someone ask him what he'd do about Ukraine, and his response was that he'd remove "woke" from the military. Yeah... that's answering the question alright...

Trump is, of course, trash. But he's not exactly "policy driven." Even with control of the House and Senate, he didn't do much in his first 2 years. He appointed 3 SC justices in his term, which is a massive deal, but this was a series of unfortunate events that he didn't have anything to do with (McConnell holding a seat hostage; RBG dying).

Maybe Trump would be more policy motivated if he was re-elected, but I also doubt it because he only cares about himself. Ron, on the other hand, is all about pushing through his beliefs via legislation, so big no-no there for me.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed May 24, 2023 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Pretty meh even for the people that saw it. He sounds he's like reading from a list of his campaign policies.

Thu May 25, 2023 12:20 am
Sbil

Post Re: 2024 election - Teflon Don vs Meatball Ron
DeSantis is a charisma black hole who somehow seems to think a godawful slogan like "Make America Florida" will hold any national appeal?

I hate Trump with every fiber of my being but at least he knows how to deliver red meat to the people who want it from him.

Thu May 25, 2023 3:21 pm
Superfreak

DeSantis effectively serves up another type of red meat every time he directly notes the parties horrific electoral record over the last few years. Feel like this showdown is about to get ugly fast but someone on the GOP is going to have to take it to Trump directly.

Thu May 25, 2023 4:56 pm
Hold the door!

Can’t wait to vote for Desantis in the primary still love him!

Thu May 25, 2023 5:05 pm
Top Poster

DeSantis was pretty much the only American politician with an acceptable approach to opening up from Covid lockdowns and stopping Antifa riots, that even Trump was too weak on.

Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Alex Y. wrote:
DeSantis was pretty much the only American politician with an acceptable approach to opening up from Covid lockdowns and stopping Antifa riots, that even Trump was too weak on.

I think Kristi Noem did best on lockdowns and a lot of the other governors in clear Republican states locked down as much as DeSantis. Still he deserves credit for standing his ground with there being so much media attacks on him, and setting a public example.

Fri May 26, 2023 12:29 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

The good thing for DeSantis is that he's starting to take it to Trump directly. Still a little "light" IMO, but clearly a shift since announcing. Probably best to start with some mild shots to test how it goes, and if poll numbers, donations, etc., are positive afterward, go for the real shots from there.

This is how you're going to beat Trump. What everyone else is doing, this pointless tip-toeing around Trump, saying they like him... but, agree with him... but, thought he was a good President... but, and anything else they can say to not piss Trump or his base off isn't going to get them near the nomination. It gives the Trump supporters absolutely no reason to switch to them, and anyone on the fence isn't going to support them if the only difference is their name.

Maybe if DeSantis goes harder at Trump, some of the others will follow suit, but it'll be a pretty big flip-flop and be a bad look. All the other candidates were already unlikely to prove a real challenge, but they've basically screwed themselves by being too soft on Trump and his base.

DeSantis appears to be someone with very light skin, though, who can't take criticism well. When questioned or attacked in person, he looks to be struggling to hold back his emotions. Definitely comes across with some deep self-esteem (or inadequacy) issues, and if he's not discussed as a "winner", is easily thrown off. He can mostly avoid any direct confrontations with Trump and the media during the campaign, but when the time comes in the primaries when he can't, he could buckle under the pressure. Like, he'll be next to Trump on the debate stage. But he has 8 months to mentally prepare.

If Trump calls him Shorty Ronald who has to wear platforms on his shoes to be standing level with him, I imagine it'll be hard for DeSantis to focus.

Fri May 26, 2023 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Christie and Pence both running. I admit I am surprised and was wrong about them. Maybe they know something we don't about Donald's legal troubles.

Wed May 31, 2023 4:24 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I wonder if some of the candidates have a sort of alliance against Trump, which now (or has for a while) includes Christie and Pence.

Not to get all conspiracy here, but it's a political strategy and not unusual for one or two candidates unlikely to get more than a few percent points in the polls and primaries to be sort of attack dogs against one candidate (Trump) in order to help another candidate (Ron) they prefer more. Christie will likely fulfill this role in a more aggressive way (since he's already been pretty vocal), while Pence may try to be more formal about it and peel away at that evangelical support that could be the difference in some states.

Trump proved he can just steamroll the debates by yapping away, and Christie can probably interrupt him enough so he's not as annoying, and/or keep him from abusing the clock when going after Ron. Trump and Ron one-on-one in a debate will favor Trump very heavily (Ron gets too reactionary/emotional when criticized or attacked), so doing what they can to "shield" Ron from public interactions with Trump would go a long way in helping him.

Wed May 31, 2023 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Pence has legit shot to end up as the main Trump alternative in the end.

Christie is just there to get some TV time in the debates, sell books, etc.

Wed May 31, 2023 5:16 pm
Superfreak

I want Christie and Trump on a debate stage together so bad. Christie will beat him harder than prime Mike Tyson. Trump has never faced anyone even remotely close to as formidable on a debate stage as Christie.

Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:59 pm
The Kramer

Except for when he faced Christie in the 2016 debates and smothered him like he did with everyone else?

Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:10 pm
Superfreak

Christie was team Trump back then and was one of too many on the stage. Now CC hates DT after DT personal coven recklessness put CC in the ICU for a while. Will be night and day.

Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:54 pm
Superfreak

Pence and Christie join. Both light up Trump in their announcements, Christie in particular goes very hard. This is going to be intense for DT.

Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Haley's fervent pro Ukraine intervention position at least separates herself position wise from Trump more than DeSantis, though any would be good will with left wingers was dashed with an ill taste trans women's sports/teen suicide comparison.

Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:54 pm
Superfreak

Shack wrote:
Haley's fervent pro Ukraine intervention position at least separates herself position wise from Trump more than DeSantis, though any would be good will with left wingers was dashed with an ill taste trans women's sports/teen suicide comparison.

Haley has actually taken some risks with policies on a few fronts. 90% of the country agree with her points extreme old age among leaders, she has noted the republicans need to figure out abortion, has called out DeSantis Disney fight as absurd, and joined chorus noting Trumps recent charges are serious.

Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:55 pm

Haley is trying to be the course correction in the party and I applaud her for that.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:44 pm
Superfreak

Chris Christie continues to perform at a very high level. He straight up aced his widely watched CNN town hall and is gathering clear media momentum as Trump's arch nemesis. His combative, theatrical style will quickly earn him fans in addition to free media coverage. The party is in horrendous need of leadership and he is the best orator of the field so far.

Watch out for him, he was once a rising star for a reason.

Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next