Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Black Lives Matter 
The Original

Post Re: Black Lives Matter
How old are you zwackerm?
16?

Here a good advice. Dont deal already too much with such topics. Have fun.
Later in life you WILL HAVE TO bother enough with such stuff. But not yet.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:31 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:
If you're working 40 hours, get a full time job.

I am at school so I only work when I go home on some weekends. I only ever approached 40 hours in the summer.

So you can't work over 40 hours... and they don't let you work over 40 hours. Got it.

You do realize how many employers would put employees as "part time" to get away with not providing healthcare, right?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:33 am
Defeats all expectations

zwackerm wrote:
I've never met anyone who didn't think black lives mattered. Of course black lives matter! Why would anyone say/think they didn't matter. Have you ever met someone who didn't think black lives mattered?

It seemed you took the literal meaning of the words and ignored the substances that the social movement entails. I think you are smarter than that.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:33 pm
New Server, Same X

While we're being open and honest about heavy topics, why do women want to be treated equally to men? Stop asking for equal rights, that pie is not going to bake itself!

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:48 pm
Hold the door!

i.hope wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
I've never met anyone who didn't think black lives mattered. Of course black lives matter! Why would anyone say/think they didn't matter. Have you ever met someone who didn't think black lives mattered?

It seemed you took the literal meaning of the words and ignored the substances that the social movement entails. I think you are smarter than that.

Don't they think police shoot blacks because they are racist?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:51 pm
Hold the door!

FILMO wrote:
How old are you zwackerm?
16?

Here a good advice. Dont deal already too much with such topics. Have fun.
Later in life you WILL HAVE TO bother enough with such stuff. But not yet.

I'm 18.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:52 pm
New Server, Same X

"Blacks" isn't a proper term, zwack. You know they prefer "negros".

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:52 pm
Romosexual!

Mister Ecks wrote:
While we're being open and honest about heavy topics, why do women want to be treated equally to men? Stop asking for equal rights, that pie is not going to bake itself!

:lol: sexist

Mister Ecks wrote:
"Blacks" isn't a proper term, zwack. You know they prefer "negros".

:lol: racist

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 pm
The Kramer

I laughed really hard at stuffp's "Blake Lively Matters". That would make a great t-shirt.

And zwacks don't think too much about literal meanings of protest groups. Its just a protest against what is perceived as systemic racism in the police that leads to these shootings. What these systemic problems are and how to fix them is not often discussed but you can atleast understand why people are mad.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:14 pm
You must have big rats

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

So I’m a little confused about the Breonna Taylor case. Isn’t what happened the cops were after Breonnas boyfriend, who shot at the cops and she was caught in the cross fire? Wasn’t her death an accident? Why are so many people calling for the cops to get charged with murder and spend life in jail when they didn’t intend to kill her? At most they should get a manslaughter charge.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:24 am
Keeping it Light

IMO
Yes. Yes. I guess as a warning to other police to be more careful.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:27 am
The Kramer

If you guys fucked up at your jobs so badly that someone actually died, what do you think the consequences would/should be?

I would assume that most BLM supporters do not think that police wake up every day and are like "I can't wait to murder a black person and get away with it!" What happens is that, in high pressure situations, cops become trigger happy. And we've seen, that when in these "it's them or me situations" they tend to fire even if they are not under threat (they only have to prove they believed there was a threat for it to be legal.) And we've seen, that even though lots of whites are wrongfully killed by the police too, that in these "them or me" situations, whites tend to be treated humanely while blacks are treated like wild animals. They see one group as adorable little pot belly pigs who just fell into the wrong scene while the others are ferocious wild boars who will kill at a second's notice without provokation. When you combine this with the years and years of abuse the black community have experience, then yeah, it's completely understandable why people are so pissed off.

As for this particular case, there are now two stories out there. The original one that has been reported all along had the officers in plain cloths, going to the wrong apartment and busting in without knocking or announcing their presence. In this type of situation, Breonna's boyfriend would have been perfectly within his rights to grab his gun and fire upon the intruders to protect himself and his girlfriend. However, recently the conservatives have developed a new spin on the story. The cops did have the right apartment (because Breonna's ex was shipping drugs there), they did knock and announce that they were police and the boyfriend just went all crazy and tried to kill everybody in sight. The cops did their jobs perfectly and now these blacks are just rioting for nothing. They even brought happy meals for any children in the building and used the trauma from the incident to cure cancer. Obviously I wasn't there, but a story where there is a ton of human error on all sides, people being terrible at their jobs and then trying to cover it up and the anger at the lack of accountablity bursting into more violence is a lot more believable than the story where one side did everything perfectly and is just misunderstood.

And while "say their names" has become a common phrase, these people are symbollic more than anything else. Nobody really cares about George Floyd (except for consevatives who point out he was a drug addict at every chance they get) or James Brooks (except for the conservatives who point out he was a drug addict at every chance they get.) BLM looks at these people and sees themselves. They see a world where any interaction with the police can result in their deaths, and again, there will likely be no consequences for the people who killed them. That's why people are mad. I don't support the riots, especially during a pandemic, but nothing is going to be done about this without them.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:47 pm
Hold the door!

I’m all for cops being charged with murder if it’s actual murder.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:05 pm
The Kramer

But how do you determine that when the only ones investigating cops are the cops?

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 pm
Hold the door!

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
But how do you determine that when the only ones investigating cops are the cops?

No idea. It’s really hard for me to make definitive statements about events I wasn’t present for. Which is why it’s hard for me to get worked up because usually it’s not quite the cold blooded murder it’s always initially made out to be. Not saying cops don’t use too much force or whatever, but the movement would have more lives credibility if they waited till body cam footage to come out before turning every Black Death into a martyr.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm
Top Poster

Best summary of night of Breonna Taylor’s death:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/podc ... anscript=1

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

That's a good share, thanks.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:45 pm
The Kramer

So the police say they announced themselves, but the neighbors say they didn’t and the boyfriend calls 911 to report it. Body camera footage has been withheld. Its almost like not everything about their story adds up. Yet the only consequence is for the guy who was firing blindly into the windows. I guess he should have fired blindly into an innocent civilian and everything would have worked out for him.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:04 am
Devil's Advocate

Moved to Politics

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:21 am
Devil's Advocate

I think it makes more sense to criticize the war on drugs and whether the police should have a warrant to knock down suspects apartments with battering rams than to call the officers at the scene murderers for shooting back at Taylor's boyfriend and trying to save their lives. It's actually a good case for the defund the police and and "systemic" problems gang to use to back up their views if BLM allows themselves to adjust their take and look at the bigger picture.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:29 am

That’s...actually a good point Shack

Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:06 am
Superfreak

This movement suffers severely from no known "face" or clear public leader ala MLK Jr. Instead, there are a few dozen separate movements operating under the same name, taking positions with varying degrees of public support and severely diluting the message.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:25 pm
Defeats all expectations

Excel wrote:
This movement suffers severely from no known "face" or clear public leader ala MLK Jr. Instead, there are a few dozen separate movements operating under the same name, taking positions with varying degrees of public support and severely diluting the message.

True. That's the downside of a decentralized organization. The movement is born out of impromptu events. It does not have a membership structure but just a lot of ordinary citizens who care about people and issues. They lack a PR strategy and public platform to refine their message.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Defeats all expectations

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
So the police say they announced themselves, but the neighbors say they didn’t and the boyfriend calls 911 to report it. Body camera footage has been withheld. Its almost like not everything about their story adds up. Yet the only consequence is for the guy who was firing blindly into the windows. I guess he should have fired blindly into an innocent civilian and everything would have worked out for him.

A neighbor also called 911. No body cam footage was made available. There were at least seven police officers present during the raid, according to a police testimony. The lack of transparency is not helping public trust.

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next