Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies
(Sorry Jack Sparrow, wall of text incoming. :funny: )

The question is how will he vote. He gave a very politicians response in his statement and following comments. I don't really think his vote matters though, because even if he votes no, the GOP still very, very likely has the votes to get this through before (or after) election day. I'm betting on before in order to repeal Obamacare on November 10th. Holding a vote after the election potentially allows for a delay past that date. (All this before there's a suitable plan to replace it, I might add, but that might fall on the Democrats again next year. Congrats of repealing Obamacare, you did it, but you didn't replace it guys... SMH.)

I actually support holding a floor vote because that is a President's duty to nominate a candidate to fill an empty seat, and it's the Senate's job to hold hearings and then vote on the nominee. This current situation, however, isn't occurring under normal circumstances and precedent has become subjective, according to Romney.

As we know, back in 2016, just two-months into 2016, Obama did his duty and nominated a candidate when an empty seat came up. But unfortunately, the Senate decided to neglect their duty, the job they were elected to fulfill, back then to set up this troubling political game/precedent.

It would be fair, in turn, for the Senate to balance their 2016 decision out by following their own precedent and allow RBG's seat to be filled next year. As many said back then, to allow the voters to have a say. Of course, all the Republican Senators who agreed to follow their own precedent, being on the record saying so, aren't doing that and are even proudly saying voters can use their words against them. So they've gone from turning the powers of the Senate from a troubling game/precedent back in 2016, now into a dangerous turn in Senate power this year.

It's pure partisan politics. And the next turn of this, the next time Democrats take control of the President and Senate, which could happen in just four months almost to the day, is the strong likelihood of them moving forward with expanding the Supreme Court to 11 (or more) and lower courts in retaliation. I'm not necessarily against this, especially in regard to the lower courts needing more judges, but the potential of this snowballing further and further after every shift in power is very high, and very reckless unless we can get back to some reasonable state.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It's on the Dems for losing the Senate in 2014 and not getting it back yet since, they allowed themselves to be on the mercy of Republicans for votes like these.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Yeah, pretty obvious the GOP thinks they’re going to lose this election

Even if the GOP thinks they're winning they could be motivated to fill before the election because

- Trump believes the Democrats will contest the election if he wins (Whether the Democrats are really going to or not doesn't matter, just that Trump thinks they are), so having the extra Supreme Court vote is massive if this goes the way of Bush vs Gore and could turn a 4-4 tie if John Roberts sides with Democrats into 5-4.

- Whoever he picks he could try to energize a part of his base or force the Democrats to ruin their votes in that base, such as if he picks Amy Coney Barrett he could see it as good for his evangelical voters and also could force the Democrats to go all in attacking her for being too Catholic. Or in the case of Barbara Lagoa the GOP could see it as good for their hispanic base and locking up Florida. My guess is that they prefer Barrett's views for the court in a vacuum and that she was already vetted a few years ago as she was one of the runner ups for the Kavanaugh pick, but Lagoa would be the more devious election play.

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:56 pm
The Kramer

stuffp wrote:
It's on the Dems for losing the Senate in 2014 and not getting it back yet since, they allowed themselves to be on the mercy of Republicans for votes like these.
The senate is broken. The 1.5 million people in the Dakotas get twice as much representation as the 55 million in California. How does that make any sense?

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:45 am
Keeping it Light

Good point, I didn't think about this and it just doesn't make any sense indeed, so having these national decisions be determined by such a thwarted electorate is actually just completely messed up. Hasn't anyone made a bigger deal about reform for it before?

Thinking about it, I can only determine that it's a corrupted way of governing.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:06 am
Veteran

Clarence Thomas......please keep eating your wheaties. Exercise bruh.

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:07 pm

Even if Biden gets to nominate a judge, it won’t be a liberal judge

Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:33 pm
Romosexual!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Even if Biden gets to nominate a judge, it won’t be a liberal judge

Whoever it is WILL BE BETTER than Amy Coney Barrett :wacko:

Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2