Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Should DP07 be temporarily banned for spamming?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
Barrabás wrote:
Shack wrote:
Funny how the people who talk about how Trump is a threat to democracy, are upset that the Supreme Court made the abortion issue more democratic, it's now more determined by the voters and their elected congresspeople.

Ok but why should people's bodies and their personal lives (because they already explicitly stated they want to reinstate sodomy laws) be subject to the opinion of the majority??? Since when is it ok for a democracy to dictate what you can do WITH YOUR OWN BODY?

Because if you believe the fetus is alive it now involves 2 person's bodies, similar to why a mother can't smother the baby right after its born.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:54 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

zwackerm wrote:
This could boost overall turnout. But people who are motivated to vote based on abortion don’t often cross the aisle and vote for the other side. If you think abortion is baby murder, you’re already not a democrat. If you think restricting abortion is to control women, you’re already not voting Republican. This is evidenced by the lack of change in polling when the draft was leaked.

Also, Texas Beto is not seeing a boost due to guns lol. Campaigning on gun control in Texas is like campaigning on banning abortion and gay marriage in California

Well, California voters voted against gay marriage in 2008 so...

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:57 pm

Shack wrote:
Barrabás wrote:
Shack wrote:
Funny how the people who talk about how Trump is a threat to democracy, are upset that the Supreme Court made the abortion issue more democratic, it's now more determined by the voters and their elected congresspeople.

Ok but why should people's bodies and their personal lives (because they already explicitly stated they want to reinstate sodomy laws) be subject to the opinion of the majority??? Since when is it ok for a democracy to dictate what you can do WITH YOUR OWN BODY?

Because if you believe the fetus is alive it now involves 2 person's bodies, similar to why a mother can't smother the baby right after its born.

By this logic, if you are in a car crash and unconscious but not badly hurt enough to require blood transfusion, and in the hospital they realize they can only save another car crash victim by hooking up your blood to theirs to give them an emergency transfusion, and then you wake up, then you would legally not be able to say "get this thing off of me, I don't want to give anyone blood, I want to get out of here", because at that point another body's life depends on your own.

A mother can't smother a baby after it's born because it's literally outside of her body and not dependent on her body anymore. You can't smother a baby for the reason you can't smother anyone. That is a stupid illogical comparison that shows you are not using your brain properly.

I support the idea of banning abortion if the fetus is viable, but before that? That's a totally different scenario. Should you be forced to carry a baby to term if you were raped? If you thought you were using protection but it failed? If you suddenly find yourself in extreme poverty? If the pregnancy is going badly and it could kill you?

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 pm

Shack wrote:

That woman in your avatar would NEVER sleep with you, EVER. You need to stop projecting your anger at that fact of the universe onto other people's bodily autonomy.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
By this logic, if you are in a car crash and unconscious but not badly hurt enough to require blood transfusion, and in the hospital they realize they can only save another car crash victim by hooking up your blood to theirs to give them an emergency transfusion, and then you wake up, then you would legally not be able to say "get this thing off of me, I don't want to give anyone blood, I want to get out of here", because at that point another body's life depends on your own.

What is the difference between this scenario and a mother leaving a 1 week old to starve to death? After all, the 1 week old can't survive on its own any more than the person in your hypothetical can without the blood transfusion. Just because a baby is no longer physically attached doesn't mean it's really any more capable of surviving on its own.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
I support the idea of banning abortion if the fetus is viable, but before that? That's a totally different scenario. Should you be forced to carry a baby to term if you were raped? If you thought you were using protection but it failed? If you suddenly find yourself in extreme poverty? If the pregnancy is going badly and it could kill you?

Situations like this are unfortunate but personally I feel if a baby is determined to be alive, I don't think it would make sense to kill it just because its father was a rapist. People like that or the person in poverty would just have to give it up for adoption. An abortion to save the life of a mother is justified to me.

While I personally think a fetus should probably be considered alive as soon as it has a heartbeat and brain activity (based on how we determine death), I can understand some of the pro choice arguments enough that it's not the end of the world if abortions are allowed up to 12-15 weeks or something. I feel more stronglly that the Supreme Court's decision to make themselves neutral on the issue is correct than I do that the Republican states banning it outright are correct as when life starts is a philosophical question that there is no objective answer to, California and Texas are allowed to have different opinions on probably one of the hardest questions to answer.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

In terms of gay marriage I think they should try to codify it as a federal law. I feel pretty confident they could get at least 10 Republican senators to do it.

But the Obergefell ruling also makes more sense than Roe v Wade cherry picking the most pro choice lines. It's actually logical that equal protection clause in the constitution would mean that you can't discriminate between straight and gay couples for marriage. They also had a great precedent with Loving v Virginia, it was essentially the same argument for interracial marriage as gay marriage. Also, I believe Gorscuch is a LGBT friendly judge. The vote to extend civil rights era discrimination rules to LGBT people was 6-3 due to him voting with Roberts and the left wing judges.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 pm
Romosexual!

Shack wrote:
Quote:

Situations like this are unfortunate but personally I feel if a baby is determined to be alive, I don't think it would make sense to kill it just because its father was a rapist. People like that or the person in poverty would just have to give it up for adoption. An abortion to save the life of a mother is justified to me.

you can't make sense of why, really? :er: what if the rapist was also the father of the girl?
sounds to me like you don't value a woman's life/choice

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:23 am
Hold the door!

It doesn't make sense to kill a baby because its father is a rapist. If the reason abortion is wrong is because it kills a baby, and it still kills a baby when it is from a rape, it doesn't logically make sense to make an exception.

However, talking about rape at all is a red herring, as its just a fringe case pro choice people use to distract from the 99% of abortions that are not due to rape, which they support but are harder to argue in favor of.

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:53 am
Romosexual!

zwackerm wrote:
It doesn't make sense to kill a baby because its father is a rapist. If the reason abortion is wrong is because it kills a baby, and it still kills a baby when it is from a rape, it doesn't logically make sense to make an exception.

However, talking about rape at all is a red herring, as its just a fringe case pro choice people use to distract from the 99% of abortions that are not due to rape, which they support but are harder to argue in favor of.

:lol: it's the choice of the woman that matters. If she doesn't want to birth her rapist baby, then she shouldn't be forced to. Plain and simple. If she's a teenager and doesn't want a baby then she can abort it. Her life matters more than a baby, IMO. She can choose to have a baby later in life if she wants. Freedom to choose > Forced to birth

KEEP YOUR RELIGION/POLITICS OUT OF THEIR UTERUS!!!

Last edited by Rev on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 am
Hold the door!

I agree, her life could be prioritized over the baby's if her life was in greater than normal danger. But as it is not in the vast majority of cases, the right of the baby to life is important enough to not kill it IMO.

Also no one is trying to force "their beliefs" on anyone in any way that is not normal in a society. If someone believes that society is benefitted by a policy, they have the right to vote for that policy. And if a majority of people oppose that policy, it won't be enacted. All laws "force beliefs about morality" on the people that live under them. If the majority of people elect politicians who like abortion, we'll have abortion and vice versa

Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:35 am

I think it depends on the parameters of the search, but I am pretty sure most abortions are due to health concerns as was the case with my cousin. Of course some don’t consider her situation an abortion, but some states don’t discriminate on the nature of the procedure in their legal verbiage of the laws they are spewing out.

Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:40 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
I agree, her life could be prioritized over the baby's if her life was in greater than normal danger. But as it is not in the vast majority of cases, the right of the baby to life is important enough to not kill it IMO.

Also no one is trying to force "their beliefs" on anyone in any way that is not normal in a society. If someone believes that society is benefitted by a policy, they have the right to vote for that policy. And if a majority of people oppose that policy, it won't be enacted. All laws "force beliefs about morality" on the people that live under them. If the majority of people elect politicians who like abortion, we'll have abortion and vice versa

So you think murder is OK. In some situations.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:01 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

I know youre not commenting in good faith but there is a difference between self defense and murder.

Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:26 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/202 ... 788415001/

Yes, this might be an example of a very small percentage of cases. But the fact it happens, and some states (Ohio in this case) preventing a 10-year-old rape victim from receiving an abortion at just 6 weeks (and 3 freakin' days, which seemed to be far too far along at that point...), is utterly ridiculous and cruel. (Her family was able to find a place in Indiana to perform the procedure, for those not reading the article.)

Restricting adult women (as much as I disagree with that too) is one thing, outside of rape, as their pregnancy was at least consensual or considered a possibility beforehand (note: by the man, too, of course; he seems to be forgotten about in these discussions and needs to be held equally accountable), but forcing a child who was abused, who can't consent, to birth another child? It's disturbingly grotesque. Just no.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:01 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

I know youre not commenting in good faith but there is a difference between self defense and murder.

So you then admit that all life is not precious, since you're ok with the killing of a baby.

What about forced organ donation? Do you think women should be forced to donate their organ to save their child?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:13 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

So you then admit that all life is not precious, since you're ok with the killing of a baby.

What about forced organ donation? Do you think women should be forced to donate their organ to save their child?

All life is precious but if only one can live it’s not discounting the value of life to prioritize your own.

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:37 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

"self defense" is literally discounting another life and prioritizing your own.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:16 am
Superfreak

There are a million examples of the hypocrisy behind the absurd branding of anti-abortion as" pro-life" with regards to average Republican. Such term puts them in constant contradiction with the general other policy positions they hold. I have no idea how a self-respecting person can even say such a statement with a straight face unless there is a dramatic lack of self awareness with regards to consistency.

Life begins at conception, pauses at birth, and then restarts at age 18, then ends if the person registers as R.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:14 pm

Another horrific shooting. If these keep up, it could lead to more voting against the GOP who blindly renounces any attempt to curb gun violence at the the political level and just calls for even more guns.

Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:01 pm
Superfreak

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Another horrific shooting. If these keep up, it could lead to more voting against the GOP who blindly renounces any attempt to curb gun violence at the the political level and just calls for even more guns.

The mass shooting outbreak feels 2012 sequels and is definitely not good for Republicans. No, voters do not see this as their #1 issue, but the GOP is shockingly out of the mainstream with that. Same with abortion.

Democrats will absolutely gifted political daylight with Roe and these horrible shootings- we will see what becomes of it.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:23 pm

I love how the same people that are "pro life" now want to remove access to HIV medication for gay men

Just come out and say you want us dead, it's easier

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:51 pm
Devil's Advocate

Barrabás wrote:
I love how the same people that are "pro life" now want to remove access to HIV medication for gay men

First I've heard of this

Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:23 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -abortion/

There is not a single good republican.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:39 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/07/14/texas-sues-biden-emergency-abortion/

There is not a single good republican.

That article is behind a paywall

Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 186  Next