Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 186  Next
 The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 

Should DP07 be temporarily banned for spamming?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: The Biden era: The Establishment Strikes Back
America has become a patchwork of a country where defining where life begins is unclear and contradicting legislation can be drafted to determine when it does. A week? A month? 9 months? It's chaotic.

And the states that ban abortion should absolutely give the unborn the same protections and rights the born have now, or this wasn't really about protecting "life". For example, a women should be able to collect insurance for their unborn child if it dies, and child support, and everything else that goes with having a child already.

And this won't stop there with this court. Just wait for Mississippi to challenge the rulings mentioned in the opinion today and get all these overturned:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
A women should be able to collect insurance for their unborn, and child support, and everything that goes with having a child already.

Sure! You act like pro life people wouldn't support this.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:50 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

They already don't, dude. Little is done to support children once they're born. Let's see if these so-called "pro-life" states pass legislation in the coming weeks or months like I mentioned. The 13 states with the trigger laws where it's banned now are already behind on this and are failing to protect life and give the unborn the same equal rights as the born.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

RBG is both a legend and an example of intense naiveness and selfishness that is HAUNTING her legacy.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:53 am
Sbil

Women have fewer rights in this country than guns do. What a catastrophe.

They're coming for same sex marriage next. Conservatives and these Supreme Court ghouls won't be satisfied until they've legally made everyone not a white evangelical in America a second class citizen.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:57 am
Hold the door!

Libs wrote:

You can support the "right to abortion" and still not try and pretend something like this is anywhere close to true

Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:04 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Libs wrote:

They're coming for same sex marriage next. Conservatives and these Supreme Court ghouls won't be satisfied until they've legally made everyone not a white evangelical in America a second class citizen.

Absolutely. It's even mentioned in this ruling today (as was Lawrence). People like to say "it's not the same." Yeah, it's not, but that doesn't matter.

All it'll take is some county official down in Mississippi to refuse to marry a couple which will prompt a lawsuit that will work its way through the courts until it's decided upon at the Supreme Court.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
Libs wrote:

Absolutely. It's even mentioned in this ruling today. People like to say "it's not the same." Yeah, it's not, but that doesn't matter.

All it'll take is some county official down in Mississippi to refuse to marry a couple which will prompt a lawsuit that will work its way through the courts until it's decided upon at the Supreme Court.

Well it's not the same in that there is no life at stake in same sex marriage. Doesn't make it constitutional but as a conservative, I can tell you its nowhere near the priority that abortion is. I'd say at least a third of conservatives I know vote that way EXPLICITLY because they want to outlaw abortion.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Public opinion doesn't matter. All that matters is that one person out of 330 million can challenge it now on precedent with a court that is likely to overturn it.

#DividedStatesofAmerica

Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Obviously abortion, same-sex marriage, marriage etc will continue in certain states but it's pretty crazy they're actually walking back on their things. I truly wonder what this does to some incoming state's elections. In red states, legalizing abortion could become an extremely impactful position.

GOP may well regret this one day.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:21 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

The "good new" (...) is that many major companies have come out saying they'll pay for travel costs for all employees who must travel if they decide to have an abortion. And while I don't think it'll happen because the Democratic party seriously lacks a backbone, there is some discussion that abortion could be legal on federal property in the states that ban it.

But this is so chaotic. And fighting to make abortion (or anything else that gets overturned in the near future) legal again (or not) at the state or federal level becomes such a mess. It's this ridiculous yo-yo sort of effect of what's legal somewhere or everywhere, then not, then is, then not. "I couldn't get married before 2015, but I did in 2016! 2024... Oh, that was only legal for like 8 years? My bad. I missed the fine print there, wasn't aware it was temporary. Court shakeup in 2045... What's that? It might be legal again in 2050? Cool! Oh, that was temporary, too, and I might die unmarried in 2065? If I'm in a grave, and marriage is codified at last and legal in 2786, am I considered married on my death certificate then?"

Oh, and I just heard that there is some law from the 1800s in West Virginia (where I live) that might make abortion illegal this very moment, but our gremlin of an Attorney General isn't really sure. SMDH at all that.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

Excel wrote:
Obviously abortion, same-sex marriage, marriage etc will continue in certain states but it's pretty crazy they're actually walking back on their things. I truly wonder what this does to some incoming state's elections. In red states, legalizing abortion could become an extremely impactful position.

GOP may well regret this one day.

Actually yeah, this has now given the Democrats a proper platform now going forward into the near future that voters can vote on that will actually have an effect. Democrats have long been a hodgepodge party of nothing, but this might make them popular again. This will be particularly interesting for Texas and Florida. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some shocking results come November.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:07 pm
The Kramer

Excel wrote:
RBG is both a legend and an example of intense naiveness and selfishness that is HAUNTING her legacy.
When was she supposed to retire? Why wouldn't McConnel just block her replacement like he did with Merick? This is not RBG's fault, this is the Republicans fault. Every single one of theme who voted Trump bears responsibility for turning the Supreme Court into the catholic taliban.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Yeah, it is smart. Never have I disagreed more with “The Left” more than with Defund the Police. This whole movement nearly ruined the Democrats in 2020’in what should have been a slam dunk year for them. Even if your argument is to reallocate funds from the police to other services, factions of the movement were even making the case that the police should be abolished all together. It was utterly naive.

Is everyone on this site completely brain damaged? Not a single Democrat even once campaigned on "defunding the police". In fact, I'd say 90%+ of the country RAISED pay for police and increased police budgets.

Republicans have such a stranglehold on the media that you would believe the police are persecuted more than fucking Jesus.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
How does preventing concealed carry prevent gun deaths? Even if you don't like assault weapons or whatever, explain how restricting concealed carry prevents gun deaths. By nature, if someone wanted to kill people using a gun, restricting concealed carry would not stop them from doing so anyway.

This fucking idiotic take again.

Yeah man, laws are worthless. Criminals just break them anyway!

Just get of laws then. You sound like a fucking imbecile.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:

I think truly ridiculous state laws would have bipartisan opposition and could get amendments passed. If they couldn't get 2/3 of the country on board with something, that means its not popular enough to prevent states from regulating it.

ABORTION IS POPULAR BY MORE THAN 66% OF THIS COUNTRY,

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Just an absolutely horrific day for this country. Fuck every Republican. I hope you all rot in hell.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:16 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

I think truly ridiculous state laws would have bipartisan opposition and could get amendments passed. If they couldn't get 2/3 of the country on board with something, that means its not popular enough to prevent states from regulating it.

ABORTION IS POPULAR BY MORE THAN 66% OF THIS COUNTRY,

In the first trimester.

Even if that were true, they don't care enough to elect pro abortion senators to codify it into law

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:33 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
How does preventing concealed carry prevent gun deaths? Even if you don't like assault weapons or whatever, explain how restricting concealed carry prevents gun deaths. By nature, if someone wanted to kill people using a gun, restricting concealed carry would not stop them from doing so anyway.

This fucking idiotic take again.

Yeah man, laws are worthless. Criminals just break them anyway!

Just get of laws then. You sound like a fucking imbecile.

Explain how banning concealed carry protects lives.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:34 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Maybe if Republicans actually gave a shit about life they would all abolish the death penalty, mandate healthcare for everyone, and provide maternity leave for all.

(Hint: they don't actually care about life. They care about babies being born, controlling women, and getting those babies into the army)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I slightly edited one of your posts, Chippy.

Obviously there is anger (deservingly so), but let's at least try to avoid the more... hateful language at members. We mostly allow anything, which is how it should be, and I don't think we can avoid hostile discussions in here since there's plenty to be (rightfully) angry about, but the more direct, targeted language at individual members can at least be managed a bit.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 pm
Profile WWW

Chippy wrote:
Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Yeah, it is smart. Never have I disagreed more with “The Left” more than with Defund the Police. This whole movement nearly ruined the Democrats in 2020’in what should have been a slam dunk year for them. Even if your argument is to reallocate funds from the police to other services, factions of the movement were even making the case that the police should be abolished all together. It was utterly naive.

Is everyone on this site completely brain damaged? Not a single Democrat even once campaigned on "defunding the police". In fact, I'd say 90%+ of the country RAISED pay for police and increased police budgets.

Republicans have such a stranglehold on the media that you would believe the police are persecuted more than fucking Jesus.

Apparently you are part of the “brain dead” because you obviously did nothing understand my post. I very clearly say “The Left” and not Democrats, and my Facebook feed would very much say a large swath of “The Left” is all about Defund the Police

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:43 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

All these businesses saying they'll pay for their employees travel expenses to get an abortion, and Biden mentioning just minutes ago the "right to travel" does bring up a concern.

If I recall, Missouri, I think, was either considering drafting (or had already begun to draft) legislation earlier this year "preventing" women from crossing state lines for an abortion.

It's hard to imagine the Supreme Court would allow states the right to prevent their residents from traveling out of state, but... it's not in the constitution; the "right to travel" is not a protected constitutional right. If Missouri, for example, would bring this to the courts, they could, legally, stop people from traveling out of state for abortions if the Supreme Court ruled in their favor if they strictly interpret the Constitution again.

The legal issue around medication traveling across state lines is something, too. I don't think many states will act on preventing it, but more than a handful will likely try to legislate it.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

If there isn't even 50 senators who support banning abortion (let alone 60), maybe it shouldn't be?

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:17 pm
The Kramer

I just don't understand why religious people can't just worship their god, whichever one it is, in peace. Why do they have to insist their religion on everyone else too? It's basically no different than a plague.

Also, can a Christian truly believe in democracy if a tyrant in the sky has final word over everything no matter who is elected?

Should we ban religious people from holding office? Feels like it is the only way to get any sort of common sense back into government.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 186  Next